PDA

View Full Version : Running into Autumn Sept 24-30

yellow
09-25-2007, 06:54 PM
Looks like we spilled over on last week's thread again, so I thought I'd start a new one.

How is your first week of Fall 2007 running going?

michelem
09-25-2007, 10:18 PM
Very crappy run tonight. :( I've been having pain in my right hip flexor. Laid off all exercise since last Thursday and it's been feeling better. So, decided to run tonight. Not even a 1/2 mile into it and I was in pain. Only made it to 3.5 miles and had to call it quits. I could barely walk when I got home. I called the P/T for an appt. when this first started and wasn't going to be able to get in 'til the first week in October, but got a call today that he has a cancellation on Thursday . . . I sure hope he can fix me up QUICK! I found myself getting VERY, VERY depressed this weekend -- exercise withdrawal, I suppose. I don't think I can go another week or more without getting on the bike or running! :eek:

On the plus side, a few more people have contributed to the Lorenzen Cancer Foundation, in memory of my aunt. They usually say something about how she would be proud of me and how they still miss her (she passed away last year). I miss her too, and find myself weepy when reading the nice things they say. So, I am going to complete this race even if I have to walk it - darn this ol' hip flexor!!! :mad:

tattiefritter
09-26-2007, 01:13 AM
Not posted for a while as been really, really busy at work. I'm still mountain biking (cycle commuting has unfortunately had to be knocked on the head for now) and running, mainly on the trails as I have a 9 mile hilly trail race/run on the 6th of October. I'm away for a weekends mountain biking this weekend so Saturday was my last chance for a long offroad run. It was a nice day which mercifully clouded over just as I was setting off or I would've boiled, I decided to tackle two siginificant "climbs" and "descents" in my run as that's what I think the trail race has and up til now I've been doing effectively a long climb followed by a long descent. I wanted my legs to be able to run (or just move actually) upwards again after a punishing descent. All was going well, did the first climb and conditions under foot were pretty wet and boggy, lots of hopping over suspect muddy sections, topped out on the first climb and headed off confidently expecting to pick up a defined path as per the map - erm nope, there was a sheeptrack that petered out into nothing . So turned round and started running along a flagged path which was horrible for running on (but I overtook a guy on an MTB :D who shouldn't have been there as it was footpath but hey ho) expecting to find another path as its a popular walking area. I realised I was just heading well away from where I should be and the options were to head back along the horrible path or go off piste and pick up the path I knew was there somewhere. I took the latter (it really was a horrible path) and spent a very cautious twenty/twenty five minutes or so picking my way across the ankle breakingly tussocky moor, it would go well for a while then all of a sudden I would step into a hole and be up to my armpits in the grass :D , which is funny now but I know there are bogs you could lose a horse in on those moors so I was very relieved to pick up the path again.

Suffice to say my legs were knackered by the time I set off up my second climb but I shuffled up and continued the run - 13 miles and 1700ft of up/down :eek: :D . The trail race has similar ascent but is obviously shorter (which means the climbs are steeper :rolleyes: ) so I'm hoping the extra distance will help me cope with it. Its my longest run ever and I'm looking forward to a couple of weeks of shorter runs after the trail race.

Did 5 miles on the trails again last night after work, I was tired but the light conditions were amazing on the tops, the view was spectacular which made it all worthwhile. I could also see the heavy rain that was heading my way and managed to get back to the car just as it started to lash down, result! I'm only going to be able to do after work trail runs for the next couple of weeks as the days are shortening fast :( . I'll do a short road run on Thursday then MTBing all weekend.

btchance
09-26-2007, 06:04 AM
Finally back from work hour h*!! and was pleasently suprised to find that the doctor I'm working with for the next 2 weeks had Monday - Wed off - horray!! I actually have a day off, so that meant getting in my planned workouts, sleeping, reading NONmedical stuff, and cleaning. Now, my one run scheduled in these 3 days was yesterday - 5min walk, 5min zone 1 jog, 20min tempo, 5 zone 1, 5 walk. The tempo part felt great - I was able to hold good form throughout and felt like I could do more if needed. Gottanother run tomorrow - will keep you ladies updated (and feel free to yell at me if I don't do the run - I could use some motivation sometimes ;) )

KSH
09-26-2007, 06:39 AM
Crappy. The last time I ran was 9-8-07. My Half Ironman is 10-7-07. I'm going into being off a whole month from running.

On a more positive note, my IT band feels good. No pain. Since my taper starts in a couple of days, there's no reason for me to push and injure it again.

I did some walking a week ago- 5.5 miles. It was less painful and not as much suffering involved... but dang it was boring. I'm so use to suffering when I run... I was a little bored by not suffering. HA!

Who knows, after the HIM, I might get back to running. Even though my body rejects it.

Wahine
09-26-2007, 07:22 AM
Good news about the IT band KSH. You're right about not pushing this week.

I ran twice over the weekend with DH. Slow run to get him back into it. We did close to 4 miles each time and he did pretty well.

I will try to run today or tomorrow. Since I'm not really training right now, my goal is just to keep in reasonable shape and still be able to eat the way I like to.:D :D

emily_in_nc
09-27-2007, 12:06 PM
I did a 4 mile treadmill run Tuesday afternoon. Felt pretty good, and spent more time in the 6 mph speed range than before (normally I'm between 5.5-5.8 mph). I wasn't as euphoric as after my first-ever 4 mile run last week because I felt a bit more tired (maybe the difference in running after work this time vs. during my lunch hour before), but it was nice to know I could do it again!

Emily

indigoiis
09-27-2007, 12:29 PM
Ran 5 miles this morning.
Wishing I was on the bike... but I feel like there's no time and it's too dark out before I leave for work... too dark when I get home.
Running totally wears me out. But I at least felt like I did something.

Shiraz
09-29-2007, 06:30 AM
Well,
Yellow and I woke up to snow in Pocatello, Idaho so our "Tour de Vin" ride is on hold until tomorrrow but we will still enjoy the company and wine / beer tasting. Hopefully, the weather clears and we can take a brisk Sunday ride over Buckskin and still take in the beautiful fall colors.

My running has been okay this week. Sunday I ran 8 miles and 12 on Tuesday. I tried really hard to just enjoy the scenery and not be consumed with the time. I have another 1/2 mary next Sunday in Boise. I really don't feel as prepared as I have for the other two 1/2's. I am looking forward to riding my bike and mix it up a little.

Hope you ladies have a good week.

roadie gal
09-29-2007, 06:59 AM
KSH, glad your ITB is doing well!

It was in the 40's with 20-30 mph winds yesterday, so the treadmill and I had a date. I'm going to have to name that thing if we keep going like this. I put 5 completely unrelated CDs in the CD player and ran for 10 miles.

I really hope to get a few more outdoor runs in before it turns to winter. But I woke up to 2 inches of snow outside this morning, so I don't know...

I've already resigned myself to the bike trainer and Coach Troy.

btchance
09-29-2007, 02:05 PM
Got in a 10mile run today - perfect weather. Started out in the high 50s, ended in the low 70s, sunny, no wind. Couldn't have asked for better. I think I'm going to continue with the 4 run/ 1 walk combo. It seems to be working, I'm just going to start working on picking up the pace a little during the runs. Will keep you gals update on how it's going.

KSH
09-29-2007, 02:53 PM
It's snowing places? And 40 degrees? Here in Texas it was 70 this morning and a bit chilly as far as we were concerned. :cool:

Btchance happy to hear the 4:1 is working for you!

northstar
10-02-2007, 05:05 AM
Not snowing yet here! Though I'm sure it won't be long!

I am in pretty much the same place as Emily...just breaking 4-5 mile runs and did one yesterday evening around 8:00. I was procrastinating and thinking I maybe would just take the day off, but then talked to my mom on the phone and needed to go. :p So I did a nice, quiet 4.25 mile loop around the neighborhood. I am trying to pick up the pace toward the end of my run - one block up tempo, next block back to my 8.5 mm pace...I do feel like it's helping me with my speed overall. I'm not ready to get too technical (don't know if I ever will want to). But it feels good, so I'll keep at it.

I've had some soreness in my left leg/knee...can't really isolate where the pain is exactly...but it works itself out once I've gone a mile or two. Still has me going, hmmm, though...I am at the point where I could use a new pair of shoes...but probably need to hold off until the next paycheck (because I also need a good light for bike commuting). Never enough cash around for all those fun things at once! :rolleyes:

My DH is really excited...he is now hunting for 5K's for us to do together. And we're looking at the possibility of a 10K in the next few months. Which I guess puts us in the dead of winter...but we'll find something. :eek: :cool: