PDA

View Full Version : Another saddle question!

zube
09-24-2007, 10:27 AM
Hi everyone!

I'm new here and this is my first post. I've done a search for saddles and many of the posts are 2006. I'm hoping there has been some more experience and thus more feedback with 2007 saddles.

I'm finally having to face the fact that I need a new mtn bike saddle. I currently have a Terry Liberator (one of the first cut-outs!) from A LONG TIME AGO. It is unbelievably worn out and every long ride leaves me sore. Basically I've been delaying action for many years now. Oh, when I bought that saddle eons ago they weren't even measuring sitbones. You just got it because, hey, it was made for a woman! I do have a tandem and another mtn bike (on a trainer) but those saddles are theirs, LOL!

I have tried to follow the Specialized Jett recs on the threads I've visited. But the actual site does not have it listed as a product any longer.

I do a lot of climbing and I rarely get out of my seat. (I'm in Western NC) And of course when you climb there's always downhill! I use a mix of fire roads and single track. My single track options are washed out, rocky, rooty, steep....well you know, not exactly comfortable going uphill nor downhill.

Could someone please take another deep breath over a thread that's been beat-to-death and give me some info about the newest (hopefully improved) products out there. Apparently gels aren't highly thought of. And there may be other developments that have modified what once was highly praised.

Thanks in Advance!:)

Trekhawk
09-24-2007, 12:18 PM
SadieKate put me on to this saddle for my mountain bike and I really like it.
http://www.wtb.com/products/saddles/performance/laserv/

I had a Terry seat on it before this one and hated it.

Good luck with your seat hunting.:)

zube
09-24-2007, 03:22 PM
Thanks for posting, Trekhawk!

Interesting...my husband has used WTB saddles on his mountain bikes for years. Another maker for his road bikes.

Which of the Laser Vs did you choose, the Pro, the Team, the Team IS or the Stealth?

Now that I have decided I'm going to take the time to replace my saddle I can hardly wait to do it! Go Figure!
;)

DirtDiva
09-25-2007, 12:59 AM
The great thing about WTB is that they have a saddle demo programme. I suppose not all shops that are WTB dealers would have the demo saddles, but it's definitely worth asking.

I used to have a Pure V (http://www.wtb.com/products/saddles/performance/purev/) (until it wore out), which was really comfortable (until it wore out :rolleyes: ), but a little bit wide to get back onto easily when I'd been hanging off the back. I'd replaced that with a Selle Italia number, but just haven't been able to get that in a position that is just quite comfortable, so I decided to go back to a brand that was tried and trusted, and lo and behold, the bike shop near my gym had just got in their WTB test fleet. Couldn't not take advantage of that now, could I?

I tested out the Rocket V (http://www.wtb.com/products/saddles/racing/rocketv/) first, because it looked a similar shape to the Pure, but that turned out to be just a fraction narrow, so I lined up all the demo saddles to find one just a smidge wider and picked out the Silverado (http://www.wtb.com/products/saddles/racing/silverado/). Took it out for the weekend and declared it a winner, even at that price. :p (I think it's the flatness of it that made it so comfy - not a very wide saddle, but you can use all the width there is, if that makes sense.)

Trekhawk
09-25-2007, 03:32 PM
Thanks for posting, Trekhawk!

Interesting...my husband has used WTB saddles on his mountain bikes for years. Another maker for his road bikes.

Which of the Laser Vs did you choose, the Pro, the Team, the Team IS or the Stealth?

Now that I have decided I'm going to take the time to replace my saddle I can hardly wait to do it! Go Figure!
;)

Im heading out the door to take my son to Soccer so without looking at my bike Im guessing its the Laser V SLT. I will check when I get home for sure and let you know.

Hey DD - I like the look of your new saddle. Have you got that one on your new road bike??

DirtDiva
09-25-2007, 08:49 PM
Nah, it's on the hardtail. Am tempted to try it out on the roadie though because the one that is on there (an Atola) is alright on the hills but rather so-so on the flat.

Trekhawk
09-26-2007, 01:28 PM
Zube - I checked it out and its definitely the SLT version.

DD - looks like it would work well on a road bike. If you decide to give it a whirl on your roadie let me know how it works for you. I had the Atola on both of my road bikes but lately have been trying another saddle on one to see how that works. Funnily enough SK recommended the new road one too. Hee hee where would I be without SK.:D

zube
09-26-2007, 01:33 PM
Thanks for the posts, DirtDiva & TrekHawk!

I have called my fav bike shop and they have several WTB demos, one is the Laser V Team...don't know the others. So Friday I'll stop by and try one for the weekend.

DirtDiva, I appreciate the info regarding WTB seat width. My current saddle is irritatingly wide in back. I just sit back as far as I can on downhills because I can't quickly scoot off. Terrible. :(

Again, thanks both of you for taking the time to respond! Happy Trails!

Irulan
09-27-2007, 07:21 AM
Have you considered Specialized? Their saddles are designed for different size butt/skeletons. You measure your butt bones at the shop, and they size you accordingly. This has nothing to do with your clothing size. I've got several of the avatar gel ( NOT a big cushy gel saddle) and I love them. I find many of the womens' saddles, even the MTB specific ones, too wide but these are great.