PDA

View Full Version : Happy Ending

pedalfaster
11-11-2004, 06:45 PM
I thought I'd post a "bad driver" story with a nice ending for a change.

We were a group of three (women) riding in from a lovely 30 mile ride. Perfect, sunny weather and good visibility.

I was third-woman in the paceline. Suddenly, without turn signals, a pickup truck turns from the on-coming lane right in front of the lead rider. She slams on her brakes, skids slighly sideways, and manages to recover. As the last woman in line, I sit up and give the driver a piece of my mind. He yells "I didn't SEE you, you need to wear brighter colors..."

I grab a handful of my jersey (I'm wearing freakin' HUNTER ORANGE) and yell "Get your eyes checked", and we ride off.

Seven miles down the road, we hear a motor behind us and scooch over to the side of the road. A pickup truck pulls along-side us. A quick glance over my shoulder confirms it's "Mr. Magoo". I'm thinking, "ohhhhhh greeeaaat, we have a wacko". He slows beside us and says "Hey, I just wanted to let you know I really didn't see you and I'm really really sorry. I didn't want you to think I was being 'smart' back there..."

I just looked at him...and laughed. "Hey, I thought you were
making fun of my jersey".

At this point I also notice that he is really really cute. :D

He appologized (again) told us he'd be more careful, and pulled in to a driveway to turn around.

He kept saying how sorry he was and that he didn't mean any harm. I said "awww that is so sweet" and asked if he had any brothers at home (he was kinda young for me!).

We gals chuckled about that all the way home and plan to wear our Wonder(sports)Bras next time we ride that route!

:p

cathleen
11-12-2004, 06:22 AM
ha ha! you told him off and he apologized! (what a rare species of man. - pray tell, where is this species?)

That's a rare moment, (and pretty cool) that a driver came back and admitted being wrong.

Because you spent a few minutes talking with him, and he was actually thought about it enough to come back & apologize - he might actually be a little more educated now, and more likely to be courteous / safer with bicyclists, I hope!