PDA

View Full Version : Suckerbrook Race Report

SheFly
09-20-2007, 05:27 AM
What a scene! It was literally a "Who's Who" of the local 'cross racing scene all day, from the Beginner Men and Women's races, all the way through the Elite races later in the afternoon. Most people think that I go and race 'cross because I love it (well, there is that) when in reality, I go for the chance to hang out with some totally awesome people, at great venues, and get caught up :D .

DH and I arrived in time to see some of the beginner races. It felt odd to me to be standing and cheering for the 3/4 women - I know almost all of them by name, and raced with them all last season. They looked great, and some were out for their first 'cross races ever, or their first of the season. I cheered madly for them all, and there were so many of them! It was fantastic to see a field of close to 30 women out racing and having such a good time.

Waiting for DH's race to start, I got a chance to socialize some more, and to walk most of the course. A huge kudos has to be given to the organizers of this race - flawless registration, real course crossings, a new bridge and a new stair run-up made this an awesome venue! I wonder, though, who got to go out in the woods and paint all the rocks (and how they missed the ones I hit!)? ;-)

DH had a great race in the A Masters category (starting at 11:00), finishing 17th overall. I could tell that his knee was bothering him early in the race, but everything seemed to settle in as he moved past riders counting down the laps. I was able to cheer him on from most of the course and to see his finish before it was time for me to go and get changed, and start getting ready for my own race.

This was my second 'cross race with the Elite women, and there was some great talent lined up at the start. I was pretty intimidated standing between Marci Titus-Hall and Perri Mertens and behind my teammate Cris, but decided to just go out and see what happened. One thing I am good at is managing my own expectations now that I have moved up to race at the higher levels, so to me, finishing anywhere above last is an accomplishment (and even that can be a good thing, as I found out at York (http://forums.teamestrogen.com/showthread.php?p=246587#post246587))!

I didn't get a great start, but didn't hit the first gravel turn last, so was pretty psyched about that. I got caught in a bit of a cluster when one of the favorites slid on an early flat on an off camber turn, but it worked to my advantage, as I managed to pass a couple of women as a result (note that she went from last as she got to the pit to change her flat, to passing me later in the race and finishing 5th!).

About half way through the race, I passed a woman who is a teammate during road season, but races for another team during 'cross. She and I ended up leap-frogging each other for most of the remainder of the race, with her putting time on me on the mounts/dismounts, and me putting time on her going through the woods and the sand.

With about two laps to go, I caught and passed Alex. I REALLY, REALLY wanted to beat Alex in this race - I raced against her all last season when she was still racing 'cross on her MTB, and could never make it happen. After I passed her, she sat on my wheel, and managed to pass me riding through the sand pit. I caught her again on the grass and got by, but she sucked wheel hard enough to later get past me in the final lap, after missing a turn! Maybe next time ;)

As we came out of the sand for the final time with Alex in front and Alie still on my wheel, I knew I was going to have a fight to the finish on the pavement. As I turned the final corner, I gave everything I had to sprint to the line, throwing my bike forward and literally beating Alie by an inch (or less!). I was elated - I put in a strong race, didn't have any mishaps, and finished much better than I was anticipating, 13th out of 19.

Part of my success and inspiration came from my "fan club". The whole race, no matter where I was on the course, I could hear friends cheering and offering advice - GO! Grab her wheel! She's right behind you! You're doing awesome! A HUGE thanks to everyone who cheered, and especially to DH who was so excited and provided great encouragement every lap of the race!

Well, after the weekend of racing I had, I'm beginning to feel like I might actually belong racing in this field ;-). Can't wait for next weekend - a double-header!

Sheesh
09-20-2007, 10:25 AM
Sounds like an exciting race! Great report and congratulations on a strong finish!

cwodiva
09-20-2007, 06:15 PM
Great Race report! great picture with all that sand and kudos for passing that girl!!!! What a great start to the season. I'm chomping at the bit, first race around here isn't until Oct 21st.

One of the things I love about cross is the support of the spectators! Their cheers can get you up those steep climbs, remount on your bike faster than ever, push it on the hard sections! Hurray for cross!!!!

SheFly
09-21-2007, 03:52 AM
Great Race report! great picture with all that sand and kudos for passing that girl!!!! What a great start to the season. I'm chomping at the bit, first race around here isn't until Oct 21st.

Thanks! So, how long does your season run? We're through here after Natz, but maybe a trip to Florida in Jan/Feb could be arranged... :D

cwodiva
09-21-2007, 03:25 PM
Thanks! So, how long does your season run? We're through here after Natz, but maybe a trip to Florida in Jan/Feb could be arranged... :D

Come on down! Well cross is just getting started around here in Florida. Not a huge scene yet. I did a really great series in Georgia when I lived there, that series goes from October to December. I'm going to go up to the first race there on the 21st of October. It's a great series, lots of riders, good courses. Of course the first few races can get a little warm 70-80 degree weather!

Here in Florida, they had a fall series of four races here in November, but it was organized by one guy, and I haven't seen anything yet. I'm keeping my fingers crossed. It's a great cross course. I was the only girl that showed up for two of the races. I just raced against the guys. If they don't do that series I'll drive up to Georgia for a few more races.

Then there is a good series of four races in Jan-February. It's more like a grass crit, because of the location, but really fun. That's in it's third or fourth year. It can get warm in those races too!

Here in the south on cross races they have a water zone to pick up water, like in mtb races, cause it's still pretty hot here when you race. Funny to think about I'm sure with you being way up north!

trigirlpink
09-24-2007, 11:50 AM
Hey Kath!

Nice picture going through that sand at SuckerBrook! Plez teach me how to do that!!!!:rolleyes:

Thanks for cheering for me at the Bedford Cross race yesterday! Hope you had a good race. How did you like that run up? :eek:

SheFly
09-25-2007, 03:40 AM
Hey Kath!

Nice picture going through that sand at SuckerBrook! Plez teach me how to do that!!!!:rolleyes:

Thanks for cheering for me at the Bedford Cross race yesterday! Hope you had a good race. How did you like that run up? :eek:

Momentum!

You looked like you were doing well at the Bedford race! That run-up was a bear every time... My race wasn't great, but I had fun!

SheFly

trigirlpink
09-25-2007, 05:17 AM
Wish I could have stayed around to cheer you on, but Paul fell twice during his race and he was a hurtin' puppy ( more ego:p ) so we bailed.
See you at Amesbury if you make it after the wedding.