PDA

View Full Version : Psyched to be Last!

SheFly
09-20-2007, 05:26 AM
I had hung up my road bike for the season after Saco, but decided to have one last go at a crit up in York, ME. I am SO GLAD that I went - this race was AWESOME!

Ok. So I came last. Don't care. Here is a list of my accomplishments:

I stayed with the pack for the entire race.
I raced in the middle of the pack, at least a little bit.
I was semi-active, trying an attack or two (that didn't stick)
With 5 to go, I got on the front and TT'd for two laps hoping to bump the pace and make something happen - I should have waited another couple of laps ;) .

What do I need to do better?

GET OUT OF THE WIND. Everytime I came off the front of the pack, I ended up too far to one side or the other, taking the full force of the wind and not getting as much recovery as I should have.
Spend more time in the MIDDLE to the FRONT of the pack.
Protect my wheel. I got ridden off the wheel I was on more times than I can count tonight.
Position, position, position.

The net of it is that I had a blast, and learned even more about the intracacies of crit racing. Someone even told me tonight that she thought I had already come a long way from my performance at the Witches' Cup... It is my first season of crit racing, so I am still learning.

This is an awesome race venue, too. Great course and views of the ocean to boot. I can't really begin to tell you how much FUN the event really was, and you have NEVER seen someone as excited as I was to finish a race in last place :D .

slmdunc
09-26-2007, 12:01 PM
HA! I love your attitude! It sounds like you had a great race all in all. Way to go.

Velobambina
09-26-2007, 12:15 PM
You go, SheFly!!! That is a great accomplishment and it sounds like you enjoyed every minute.

Now I want to know, will you be doing any ice riding this winter? ;)

SheFly
09-26-2007, 04:32 PM
Thanks! I forgot to mention in the report that this was a women's open field, so that is why I was so excited - I hadn't been able to stick with them yet this year after moving up...

Velobambina - if there's ice, I will be riding :D

SheFly

RoadRaven
09-29-2007, 11:06 AM
Woohoo! You stayed with them Shefly! Awesome!

I know how you feel (although my experiences are at club level not national) and it is such a great feeling to be with your peers and be able to stay with them!

At the risk of repeating myself - You rock!

BikeMomma
10-01-2007, 10:04 PM
Good job, SheFly. Sticking in the whole race, and especially being active in an all-Cat race is quite a milestone. Whoo-hoooo! Onwards & upwards next season! :)

~BikeMomma