PDA

View Full Version : Join a Team/ Club?

Juligirli
09-18-2007, 11:15 AM
Hi I'm new to the cycling world when it comes to racing, I am going to try cross for the first time (in New England) and was wondering how the whole club - team thing works? I see that a lot of the beginner women have associated teams... how does a new racer get into a team? Is it still ok to do cross races without the team and fancy jersey?

Eden
09-18-2007, 11:26 AM
Yes it is OK to do cross races (or any other races) without a team. Cross is a bit easier as it is less of a team event than a road race, but any racing is possible without HAVING to join a team. On the other hand having the support of a team, and the expertise of your more experienced teammates can make the whole thing easier and more enjoyable.
How teams recruit is really up to the indvidual teams. The team I am on works mainly on taking on beginners - even if you've never raced and may not even be totally fit, as long as you are willing to try we are willing to teach you. Other teams are more interested serious development and will hand select riders that they think will do well.
Now is generally the time to start looking to talk to teams. All of the teams in this area use the fall to recruit new members - we usually close our roster some time in November. To find teams in your area your LBS (local bike shop) is usually a good place to start, but look around on the internet too. If your state has a bicycle association you will usually find links to local team's websites too.
Good luck and have fun in your cross races!

SheFly
09-19-2007, 07:18 AM
Hi I'm new to the cycling world when it comes to racing, I am going to try cross for the first time (in New England) and was wondering how the whole club - team thing works? I see that a lot of the beginner women have associated teams... how does a new racer get into a team? Is it still ok to do cross races without the team and fancy jersey?

Welcome! Where in New England are you? I captain our women's beginner racing team for our club, and am always happy to have another person join the team! You can read more about our club here (http://www.northeastbicycleclub.org)- we are in the metro-Boston and surrounding areas, and I typically coordinate rides with the girls once a week, or more.

That said, as Eden mentioned, you don't HAVE to join a team to race 'cross. This is a much more individual sport than road racing, but you will find teammates have a sense of camaraderie at the races.

Any idea on what your first event will be? I will be at the Coonamesset race in Falmouth, MA on Saturday and the Bedford, MA race on Sunday, and would be happy to chat with you.

SheFly

SheFly
09-19-2007, 07:20 AM

Welcome! Where in New England are you? I captain our women's beginner racing team for our club, and am always happy to have another person join the team! You can read more about our club here (http://www.northeastbicycleclub.org)- we are in the metro-Boston and surrounding areas, and I typically coordinate rides with the girls once a week, or more.

Our club does have a focus on developing women who want to race, and as such, provides us with some great resources - access to coaches, a new Elite team (to which some of us only aspire), skills clinics, etc.

That said, as Eden mentioned, you don't HAVE to join a team to race 'cross. This is a much more individual sport than road racing, but you will find teammates have a sense of camaraderie at the races.

Any idea on what your first event will be? I will be at the Coonamesset race in Falmouth, MA on Saturday and the Bedford, MA race on Sunday, and would be happy to chat with you.

SheFly