PDA

View Full Version : China joins in celebrating "Wold car-free Day"

Trek420
09-17-2007, 07:14 PM
Ok, maybe I can forgive the Barbie dolls and dog food fiasco after all :rolleyes:

www.treehugger.com/files/2007/05/china_goes_carfree.php

Zen
09-17-2007, 07:54 PM
Remember when every day was car free day in China? This is somewhat ironic and very sad.
The air quality in some parts of China is so poor it's common for people to spit on the streets and sidewalks to clear their lungs of sludge. The government has instituted "no spitting" rules for the Olympics. Yuck.

Trek420
09-17-2007, 07:56 PM
Remember when it was car-free day everywhere? No? Me neither, not that old. But it's a start. But on a Saturday?? :confused:

Zen
09-17-2007, 09:37 PM
It's a start, yes.
I wonder what wold happen if every country had a no car and no coal powered manufacturing day? Just one day?

IFjane
09-18-2007, 12:37 PM
It's a start, yes.
I wonder what wold happen if every country had a no car and no coal powered manufacturing day? Just one day?

Hopefully lots of miners would get to live safely one more day...

I wish the US would do it - just one day. But oh my, all the fast-food-eating-football-watching-cheap-beer-drinking-bubbas out there would have heart attacks! No wait.....they are probably going to do that at some point anyway...

Trek420
09-18-2007, 02:44 PM
Hopefully lots of miners would get to live safely one more day...

Yep, and lots of kids would have an asthma-free day....so what's everyone doing for car-free day?

I'm thinking about a ride to the farm market near me. :)

Technotart
10-13-2007, 05:11 AM
Wouldn't it be awesome if Car Free day in the US meant shutting down ALL the roads and highways to cars? Can you imagine how many bikes you would see because people would not be afraid to ride them?

I'd ride from Dallas to San Antonio that day just because I could!