PDA

View Full Version : Meet the team rides

Eden
09-17-2007, 11:27 AM
Just thought I'd let the PNW women know about our upcoming meet the team rides. If you are interested in joining a women's racing team in the Seattle / Portland area or even just learning about women's racing, these rides are a great time to get out and talk to other women who race.

There will be a ride this coming weekend for Portland area women:

This Saturday, September 22nd is the Portland Meet The Teams Ride for TGH-OR. Please pass along the following information to any woman you may know that lives in the Portland area looking to hook up with a team.

Saturday's ride is "Women Only" and many of the women's team in OR will have representatives on the ride.

The rides will all meet at 9 am at Kettlemans Bagels on SE 11th and
Sherman in Portland. There is ample free parking, plenty of seating
and bagels, coffee, etc. Ride will be a maximum of 30-40 miles in length,
reasonably flat and at a no-drop pace.

The Seattle meet the team ride will be on October 27th
Rides leave on Saturdays from Pert's Deli (120 Lakeside Avenue, Seattle 98122), in the Leschi neighborhood. There is ample parking nearby. Please be at Pert's by 9:20 for a 9:30 AM departure.

These are social rides, at a conversational pace, around the south end of Lake Washington. Allow about 2 hours. The ride may stop for 5-10 minutes along the way, but otherwise, be prepared for a continuous ride. These rides happen rain, wind, or sunshine! Bring a functioning road bike (full fenders are appreciated on damp days), helmet, water, some food, weather-appropriate clothing, a little money, and an extra tube in case you flat.

There is also a series of women only rides on Sundays. Women from all of the local teams will be at these rides to mentor and answer questions.

Intro to Women's Cycling and Racing Teams

Join us for the third annual Intro to Women's Cycling and Racing Teams! In late September and early October, a combination of women from many of the local racing teams will host Sunday rides similar to the Saturday Meet the Teams rides, with the exception that this ride is for women only, and each ride is hosted by women representatives from multiple teams. If you are new to the racing community, looking to strengthen your riding skills, thinking about racing in 2008, or looking to speak with other women about local racing teams or riding opportunities, this ride's for you!.

Here are further details.

Dates: September 16, September 23, September 30, October 7, and October 14

Time: 9:00 AM at Pert's in Leschi. Prepare to be on the road by 9:10 AM. Please don't be late!

Route: around the south end of Lake Washington

Skills: pacelines, riding a straight line, and racing tactics/techniques. Depending on turnout, we'll break into groups no greater than 10 to keep it manageable and go over the basics, making sure to keep things fun vs. stressful.

Bakery Stop: Pert's either before or after for scones & coffee.

Please join us and feel free to contact Gina Kavesh with any questions: gina [at] rentonww [dot] com.

Eden
09-17-2007, 08:08 PM
I also should mention we are having a "Meet the Dirt Team" Ride for anyone interested in cyclocross or mt biking on October 7th, 10am, at St. Edwards Park
and
A Prospective Member Meeting on October 15th at 6:30 pm

if you have any questions feel free to ask! public or pm, I'll do my best to answer anything you want to ask.
you can visit our web site as well for more info and a little background about the team- www.teamgrouphealth.com

Eden
10-05-2007, 10:42 AM
Bump! The meet the dirt team ride is this weekend! and the other events are coming up soon.

mimitabby
10-05-2007, 10:45 AM
Ah, Eden, I hope lots of gals turn out!

teigyr
10-06-2007, 04:11 PM
I'd like to know how this went. The weather wasn't too bad today but I hear it will be worse tomorrow.

It sounds like a great event! Unfortunately, I'm working today and have plans tomorrow even though I'd be highly intimidated to ride with people of racing calliber.

I hope lots of people show :D

Eden
10-26-2007, 09:17 AM
One more bump! for the lurkers or even-non lurkers out there who might be interested in joining a great women's team!

The Team Group Health meet the team ride will be on October 27th
Rides leave on Saturdays from Pert's Deli (120 Lakeside Avenue, Seattle 98122), in the Leschi neighborhood. There is ample parking nearby. Please be at Pert's by 9:20 for a 9:30 AM departure.

These are social rides, at a conversational pace, around the south end of Lake Washington. Allow about 2 hours. The ride may stop for 5-10 minutes along the way, but otherwise, be prepared for a continuous ride. These rides happen rain, wind, or sunshine! Bring a functioning road bike (full fenders are appreciated on damp days), helmet, water, some food, weather-appropriate clothing, a little money, and an extra tube in case you flat.