PDA

View Full Version : turtles & sunglass fogging

Cdalekat
11-09-2004, 07:24 AM
I have a "turtle" - essentially the bottom half of a balaclava. It's a tube of fleece that fits around my neck, and to get the full warming effects, it's long enough to pull up over my nose.

Pulling the turtle over my nose places it directly underneith my sunglasses. So when I breathe, the hot air fogs up my glasses! The frames are vented to prevent fogging, but it sure isn't working!

Any suggestions other than:
a) going faster to increase the venting effect of the glasses
b) pulling the turtle down to expose my poor nose to the brutal cold.
c) not breathing so warm.

My husband, with a similar pair of glasses, had the same problem this morning with his balaclava.

Trek420
11-09-2004, 11:41 AM
have you tried "Cat Cr*p"? *

You smear it on your glasses so when it rains or fogs the water sheets right off and they don't fog up as much or at all. Costs about $3.00, I don't know if our sponsor has it, if not I've gotten at REI, Campmor, others.

* = "a" to avoid being edited

CorsairMac
11-09-2004, 02:03 PM
I wear a polypro full balaclava (sp) on the cold mornings and I've found pulling the glasses slightly down on my nose relieved most of the fogging. Most of the glasses you buy now are almost a "wrap" style and hug our faces fairly close. Just resting them slightly farther out from my face seems to do the trick.

pedalfaster
11-09-2004, 06:40 PM
I cut a little slit in the turtle and position that over my mouth; it's not perfect, but it seems to help. I got the idea from a mountaineering website.

I spit on my glasses to clean the lenses. It works for keeping my goggles fog-free in the pool, so I figure it can't hurt!

I'm a fan of cheap/free solutions :D

Cdalekat
11-11-2004, 07:16 AM
Thanks all - I'll be experimenting for the next few cold days!