PDA

View Full Version : Types of triathlons

tricycling
11-08-2004, 04:37 PM
what is the differnt type of triathlons?

I heard of a sprint triathlon? Does it mean what is obvious? That is it a face paced tri?

I want to do short tri's to start out... then maybe in the future longer ones. Im thinking that the shorter the tri is going to be, the faster people are going to do it since its short...

Thanks for your help,
Shannon

skibum
11-09-2004, 01:05 PM
I've never done a triathlon (just a duathlon) so I can't say I'm much of an expert. I've just picked up on some of the lingo since many of my cycling buddies do tri's. So, with that disclaimer, here's my understanding of types of triathlons.

Triathlons are generally categorized by distance with the main types being Sprint, Olympic, Half-Ironman and Ironman. Since the sprint is shorter, it will favor speed over endurance. So, you might get some fast people who specialize in those because they can do better. But I think you also get a lot of beginners that do sprints because they want to start short and build up to the longer races. Because of this, the main pack might not be as fast as you would think.

mitsuni
11-26-2004, 11:33 AM
Sprint Triathlons are the shortest and the fatest of the lot

typically:

500-1000 meter swim
10-15 mile bike
5 K run

Olympic distance is next

1500 meter swim
25 mile bike
10 K run

International distance is about the same as Olympic

Then 1/2 Ironman
.6 mile swim
56 mile bike
13.1 mile run

Ironman (torture)
1.2 mile swim
112 mile bike
26.2 mile run

Start with a sprint, it isn't nam,ed a sprint due to the pace it is just the distance, they are fast paced and fun, work up to doing an olmpic in your second season.....

Best of luck and enjoy

tricycling
11-26-2004, 03:34 PM
Ah alright, I get it now.
Yes, I want to start with the sprints since they are short... though it stinks its so fast pace (Hint sprint lol) well, yeah... i will do a couple sprints to start out with.
I'll slow to get the hang of it... then try really improving in the sprint type, then possible olympic type in the future.
Thanks!

adkoch
11-28-2004, 02:37 PM
Just beware of the swim start in a sprint. I am an experienced triathlete and was still swept up in the eye of the storm at the only sprint race I tri'd this year. People will gun it the whole way, knowing that they only have to do it for 10-15 minutes. I was gasping and coughing and couldn't break free, leaving me breast-stroking for a bit. Make sure you start out on an edge, if swimming is not your strong suit...

~Angie

Veronica
11-28-2004, 03:28 PM
Have you recovered Angie?

V.

adkoch
11-28-2004, 04:38 PM
Thanks for asking!!! No, I've not completely recovered from the broken collarbone... the saga continues... was doing AWESOME for 6 weeks post-surgery to plate the bones. Then, as I was reaching high to pull something down, I noticed a sharp pain - now, I can feel a strange protrusion (bone? plate?). I am headed back to the doc for another Xray tomorrow... the holiday has delayed things a bit. Needless to say, way depressing when I could see the home stretch (four weeks of therapy then voila, cured!) and now am wondering if I'll be back under the knife... ugh.

~Angie

Veronica
11-28-2004, 04:54 PM
I'm sorry to hear that. :mad:
You have my best wishes for a speedy real recovery.

V.

tricycling
01-04-2005, 12:04 PM
That sucks about the whole collar bone thing. I know how that is... mine is dislocated. Though I will not need surgery (At first they thought I would need to) Supposedly its suppose to go back to normal after a year... still hasnt.
Anyway, good luck to you.

adkoch
01-04-2005, 07:09 PM
I guess I haven't posted in awhile... I had to have another surgery.

One of the screws broke and the end of the old plate popped off and rebroke the bone (disrupted the new bone growth). It's been five more weeks in an immobilizer and I go see the doc again tomorrow.

My Ironman training starts in March... who knows what will happen... all I know is that I am more motivated than ever and can't wait to be faster, stronger, more efficient and more aware!!!

Back on topic... Shannon, best of luck at your tris this season and keep us posted!!! Does the collarbone thing bother you on the bike?

~Angie