PDA

View Full Version : Step AWAY from the brownies!!!

Running Mommy
09-15-2007, 04:26 PM
UGH!
Today is my husbands 41st b-day. He didn't want a cake, but I made him brownies.
OH holy buckets what did I do??!!
I cannot keep myself out of them! I have lost all willpower!! :eek:
I've been eating so clean lately, and I've lost nearly 20 lbs. I'm trying to hit a milestone this week, and there is NO WAY I will if I can't get myself to leave the dang nabbit things alone!
I'm hoping that running son and running hubby eat them quick so they are out of the house..
Ohhh chocolate.... It's like I've tasted forbidden fruit and lost all control! :cool:
So slap me upside the head girls. Set me straight... Help a sister step away from the chocolate! :D

Veronica
09-15-2007, 04:40 PM
Have you had any yet? Can you stop at one?

V.

salsabike
09-15-2007, 05:19 PM
So....this will either really work for you or really NOT. When I was a dancer, we dieted a lot, needless to say. The only way I found that I was able to diet for long periods when necessary was to always include the 220 (or whatever it is) calories of a plain Hershey bar, every night, as part of the total daily allowance of food. Otherwise I'd go off the diet eventually and go totally bonkers on chocolate when I did--it was like, I'd been holding my breath all that time and so I had to gasp in great gulps of chocolate to recover! Once I figured out the Hershey-bar-a-day thing, it was way easier to stay on a diet. I know that doesn't work for everyone, and the next person will probably say, I can only diet if I totally banish chocolate. But it works for me.

Zen
09-15-2007, 05:46 PM
Eat and enjoy without guilt. When they're gone you'll remember what happened the next time an idea like this comes into your head.

I've eaten two caramel apples tonight (small ones) and they were GOOD.
There's still one left and I think it's calling me. Gotta go!

solobiker
09-15-2007, 06:13 PM
Well, its not like a habit for you. I mean are you eating a batch of brownies every day?? If so let me know what your secret is to staying so fit and still enjoying the "good stuff". I recently just made some Rice Krispie treats. Luckily DH loves them and pretty much ate them all for me in less then a day.

DirtDiva
09-16-2007, 01:36 AM
Send 'em over 'ere and I'll take care of 'em for you... ;)

lph
09-16-2007, 02:54 AM
Can you get your husband to hide them? Put them in the freezer?

I'm not kidding, I get my dh to hide chocolate and stuff I get cravings for. I tell myself that my eat-it-while-it's-there,-it-might-not-be-tomorrow instinct is very strong, which may be great for surviving in the wilderness but a little impractical in daily life. ;)

Velobambina
09-16-2007, 08:04 AM
My tip for walking away if you're afraid you cannot consume in moderation: I imagine all the hills I can easily climb--in the saddle (standing is cheating)--when I'm at the lower end of my preferred weight. That is usually enough to help me realize it's not worth it.

Zen
09-16-2007, 10:50 AM
The apples are gone and I will cherish the memory :)

Running Mommy
09-16-2007, 11:38 AM
OH MAN did I learn my lesson!!!
My ride this morning was HORRIBLE!! I only averaged 16.5 mph (usually around 17) and I felt like I was pedaling through mud! OY!!
I realized early on what was happening. I had a food hangover!
Really it was good for me. It reinforced the fact that clean eating leads to good riding, and the bad stuff is just not worth it!
I hated my ride this morning, but I forced myself through it and then the 3 mile transition run. My legs were dead, but I had no one to blame but myself. I have learned a valuable lesson. I'm back on the wagon thats for sure!
The boys can have the brownies, I have no desire!!

Blueberry
09-16-2007, 01:15 PM
RunningMommy-

Would you mind sharing some of your "clean" eating tips??

Sometimes it's hard to figure out what *to* eat.

And yeah, I haven't quite learned the food hangover lesson, unfortunately. I know it - it just doesn't stop my desire....

CA

Zen
09-16-2007, 01:20 PM
Would you mind sharing some of your "clean" eating tips??

Real food, stuff from the edge of the grocery store, not the middle.
Frozen veggies are one exception that comes to mind.
Search around down in the Nutrition section, you'll get loads of ideas. Some really good recipes there.

Running Mommy
09-16-2007, 03:08 PM
What zen said. And nothing that has high fructose corn syrup in it or anything partially hydrogenated. I'm a big believer that NO ONE needs those two things in their diet- even in moderation.
Ask my son about cereal shopping... It's kind of a nightmare trying to find him dry cereal in the average grocery that doesn't have sugar as one of the top 3 ingrediants! :eek:
Also portion sizes. I suffered from a bad case of portion distortion. I'm getting a lot better now though.
And one last thing, if you don't have it in the house- you can't eat it!

Scarlet
09-17-2007, 01:16 PM
Hi ,
what is corn syrup................... mmm feel like i should not find out cos i am sure to want it!!!!
I have never had a brownie either but i'll bet its like Galaxy chocolate...... all smooth and chocolatey and jumping in your mouth even before your hand gets to it!!!
I need to lose some weight any tips ladies cos all i want to do is scoff..... (thats eat like a pig in UK language) every time i cycle anything over 30 miles (pretty much each time i ride now)
but i crave carbs
i do keep up my water intake as i take 2 bottles and 1.5 litre hydration pak and usually buy 500ml Lucozade or similar on ride..... is this normal or usual

i also pee loads after a ride !!!!
scarlet

Running Mommy
09-17-2007, 01:43 PM
carbs aren't bad. We need them...
But high frcutose corn syrup is the worst kind of sugar (IMO of course) that you could consume as far as sugars go. And in America it seems to be in everything!
I have recently taken to agave nectar when I want a sweetner. It's very sweet so you only need a bit to get the sweetness.

Nokomis
09-18-2007, 05:09 PM
corn syrup is - well - a clear, corn based molasses? Sticky, sweet.. grandma used it to make popcorn balls. High Fructose Corn Syrup is worse, more processed, and in Everything in the US instead of cane sugar. Whole wheat bread? yep, ingredient #2 in the non-organic aisle.

I decided to cut it out of my diet as well - and definately noticed feeling better without it.

Running Mommy
09-18-2007, 05:21 PM
Franken foods... The super markets in america are FULL of them!! :cool:

As much as I love my sweets, I'll take them made with whole wheat flour and evaporated cane juice TYVM!

In the grocery aisle I don't live by the mantra "better living through chemistry". I have to be able to pronounce the ingrediants!;)

smilingcat
09-21-2007, 05:36 AM
Hi ,
what is corn syrup................... mmm feel like i should not find out cos i am sure to want it!!!!
I have never had a brownie either but i'll bet its like Galaxy chocolate...... all smooth and chocolatey and jumping in your mouth even before your hand gets to it!!!
I need to lose some weight any tips ladies cos all i want to do is scoff..... (thats eat like a pig in UK language) every time i cycle anything over 30 miles (pretty much each time i ride now)
but i crave carbs
i do keep up my water intake as i take 2 bottles and 1.5 litre hydration pak and usually buy 500ml Lucozade or similar on ride..... is this normal or usual

i also pee loads after a ride !!!!
scarlet

corn syrup is made by converting corn starch into glucose or into fructose. Very addictive and can be found in just about all processed food here in USA from cheap candies to "healthy yogurt" Yes its in there.

Brownie-- I view it as a good chocolate gone awry with horrible mistakes made along the way. But the result is super yummy moist HEAVY chocolate cake of sort. Not to be confused with fudge.

smilingcat