PDA

View Full Version : Wheels?

silver
09-14-2007, 05:23 AM
Well, as it ended up the wheels that Mr. and I ordered for my anniversary gifts can't be shipped for 2 or 3 months. So I am looking at choosing something else.

I had ordered the Easton Tempest (1560g, 30mm rims, bladed spokes, around $800, clinchers)

My wish list was around 1500g, 30 mm rims, bladed spokes, around $800.

So I'm trying to choose something else.

Do you gals have any recommendations?

I want these new wheels to use for racing triathlons and a few fast rides. My roads have mostly rolling hills and some climbing, a few flats. I ride mostly alone (not much drafting) I'l use my heavier wheels for training.

thanks!

indysteel
09-14-2007, 09:50 AM
Silver, Have you thought about going the handbuilt route? Velocity Deep Vs or Niobium 30s (lighter than Deep Vs), your hub of choice (I like my White Industries HI hubs) and Sapim CX Ray spokes. I'm biased a bit because I have handbuilts and really like them. I got a lot of bang for my buck. They don't have a lot of bling, but that wasn't an issue for me.

rij73
09-14-2007, 10:02 AM
DH absolutely ADORES his Mavic Ksyrium SL's... They are very sharp looking, distinctive wheels.

1500g, wide bladed spokes, $875. They are not 30mm rims, but 25.

Just thought I'd mention them FWIW!

spokewench
09-14-2007, 10:53 AM
DH absolutely ADORES his Mavic Ksyrium SL's... They are very sharp looking, distinctive wheels.

1500g, wide bladed spokes, $875. They are not 30mm rims, but 25.

Just thought I'd mention them FWIW!

The Mavic KSyrium SL are bullet proof too. I ride them and love them. Now, I 'm not hard on wheels cause I'm light etc., but all the racer friends that I know who ride a lot and abuse wheels love their Mavic Ksyrium SLs.

spoke

RoadRaven
09-14-2007, 11:09 AM
Mavics area good wheel - a good choice for a faster race wheel.

We have several sets of them, and I would agree with SpokeWench that they are 'bulletproof'.

Another option would be wheels like I got for my birthday... Grammo Vipers... they are for time trials on my TT bike. And from what I understand, TTs and tris can be very similar in bike style.

The Vipers are deep dish, and very sweet. They have a weight restriction of 90kgs.

silver
09-14-2007, 01:55 PM
Silver, Have you thought about going the handbuilt route? Velocity Deep Vs or Niobium 30s (lighter than Deep Vs), your hub of choice (I like my White Industries HI hubs) and Sapim CX Ray spokes. I'm biased a bit because I have handbuilts and really like them. I got a lot of bang for my buck. They don't have a lot of bling, but that wasn't an issue for me.

I'm not opposed, where did you get them?

ehirsch83
09-14-2007, 03:59 PM
Hey Silver,
Is the wait for those wheels directly from Easton?
I am curious because I am looking into the Eastons, a pair of Reynolds, and also the American Classic 420s(also looking at a team mates used Zipp 303s, but I think he is going to put them on ebay before I can get my horse stuff sold). I need a pair of race wheels, so keep me up to date on what you do!

Fredwina
09-14-2007, 04:25 PM
i'd also vote for handbuilts. Not flasy, but just a light and get the job done.
Mine are Ultegra's w/ Velocity Fusion rims, but I'm assuming you'll want some one more local

SR500
09-14-2007, 04:57 PM
You might check out Pro-Lite, one of my DH's buddies sells them.
[URL="http://www.pro-lite.net/content/wheels.shtml"] (http://www.pro-lite.net/content/wheels.shtml)

silver
09-14-2007, 05:29 PM
Hey Silver,
I am curious because I am looking into the Eastons, a pair of Reynolds, and also the American Classic 420s(also looking at a team mates used Zipp 303s, but I think he is going to put them on ebay before I can get my horse stuff sold). I need a pair of race wheels, so keep me up to date on what you do!

It was kind of odd. It was from an LBS. The LBG looked it up online and said they were available. Then called and said he didn't get them in after a week but expected them any day, then called back and said his vendor couldn't get in for a couple of months. :confused:

honestly, it wasn't MY LBS, so I wasn't really sure that i wanted to buy there, but felt a little pressure to make a decision.

I'm looking at Reynolds and AC too.

I'm so frustrated with the choices.

RoadRaven
09-14-2007, 11:09 PM
Hey Silver,
I am curious because I am looking into the Eastons...

Eastons came with my EMC2 road race bike... they are sweet wheels - I have raced almost every Saturday on it, plus trained during the week, for the past 10 months
I have had no issues with them - very reliable as well as being good looking :)

DirtDiva
09-15-2007, 01:16 AM
Hey Silver,
Haven't been on 'em long, but I've got those Am Classics on my new roadie. A bit difficult to be too specific as the whole bike is a couple of steps above my old roadie, but the 420s feel about a zillion times more stable descending than the wheels on my old bike (Alex something with formula hubs) and acceleration is also a heck of a lot better. I have heard that the hubs aren't particularly durable, but I heard that from some complete, utter bike snobs, so I take that with a grain of salt.

ehirsch83
09-15-2007, 03:13 AM
Haven't been on 'em long, but I've got those Am Classics on my new roadie. A bit difficult to be too specific as the whole bike is a couple of steps above my old roadie, but the 420s feel about a zillion times more stable descending than the wheels on my old bike (Alex something with formula hubs) and acceleration is also a heck of a lot better. I have heard that the hubs aren't particularly durable, but I heard that from some complete, utter bike snobs, so I take that with a grain of salt.

They are actually pretty durable! I have a friend who used to ride them for cross and he never had an issue(he is also a big muscular guy who is a pedal masher)He also has a pair of AC carbons on his road bike and they have held up amazing also! You definitaly don't hear about AC's as much just because they aren't the classic ZIPPs or Rolfs, but they are good quality wheels from what I have seen.

silver
09-16-2007, 11:38 AM
OK what I'm looking at now......

keep in mind I'm a lightweight racer wanting to race triathlons on hilly courses

Easton Tempest II 1560g, 30mm rim, eliptical spokes $490

Reynolds Solitude 1590g, 31mm rim, round spokes $285
Reynolds Alta Race 1510g, 30mm rim, round spokes $269

American Classic 420, 1530g, 34mm rim, bladed spokes $475

Xero Airy xlr-1 1430g, 30mm rim, round spoke $450
Xero Lite XR-1 1510g, 30mm rim, round spoke $230

any comments?

silver
09-18-2007, 04:32 PM
So I've ordered the American Classics 420 bladed.

I'll update when I get them in.

ehirsch83
09-19-2007, 08:50 AM
Silver, Definitely let me know! Those are what I am looking at ordering once I get the money.

Can't wait to hear how they ride!

trichef
09-26-2007, 01:44 AM
So I've ordered the American Classics 420 bladed.

I'll update when I get them in.

good choice, silver! i have an am classics 420 and they are very light! i'd say close to 303's in quality but way cheaper! i'm using it as training/racing wheels. it's bladed, deep enough to be considered aero and as i said, light. am classics here in the philippines sell for around $300 a pair.

with those cheap wheels, i don't need to worry about pot holes...:p

silver
10-02-2007, 07:33 PM
I am not happy! I ordered my AC 420's off Ebay and my seller took my money and did not ship the wheels and now will not communicate. *big sigh*

I wanted my wheels before the Hilly. :( I can't afford the AC's at retail.

I'm considering going back to the Reynolds Solitude. a little heavier, not bladed spokes, not as tall a rim. But cheaper.

DirtDiva
10-02-2007, 09:36 PM
That sucks. :( Hope you have set ebay's fraud squad on 'em.

silver
10-03-2007, 04:44 AM
That sucks. :( Hope you have set ebay's fraud squad on 'em.

Yeah, Ebay's on notice and paypal is resolving. Mr. said the guy is probably in jail for stealing the wheels. :eek: :( He had good feedback. :mad:

rij73
10-03-2007, 04:53 AM
That's too bad... How disappointing! I hope you get wheels you are happy with eventually! Also too bad that your budget shrank so much... those Mavics are nice.

Actually, looking at the Reynolds, they are very attractive, though. They'll look great and are lighter than I thought wheels could be at that price.

silver
10-03-2007, 05:24 AM
well, my budget didn't really shrink......I never really wanted to spend so much on the wheels in the first place. the Easton's were $800 and It just felt wrong somehow. The American Classics are going for $950. I guess I found a price on ebay that seemed and was too good to be true. And it looks like I get most all the same things with the Reynolds wheels for under $400. 30 grams and 3mm doesn't seem worth the additional $450. Now if it was 200g and 10mm maybe.

*sigh* I'm tired of thinking about this.

rij73
10-03-2007, 05:27 AM
I know what you mean about being tired of thinking! When I was picking components for my bike, it was fun, but also mentally exhausting! I'd literally lie awake in bed wondering if I'd made the right choices, if I'd be disappointed, if I should've gone with SRAM, etc. Enough to make you self-combust! :D

silver
10-03-2007, 05:29 AM
I looked back at the Mavic to see why I had ruled it out. I wanted at least a 30mm aero profile rim and Mavic didn't have one.

ehirsch83
10-03-2007, 05:39 PM
Silver,
I'm so sorry! Makes you wonder why people do that type of thing. I can't ever imagine doing that to someone!

I have a teammate who runs a pair of reynolds and he really likes them.

I have opted for a pair of Mavics, they got ordered today. But your news has made me feel bad about celebrating.

Hope you enjoy the reynolds! they are good wheels.

silver
10-03-2007, 07:43 PM
Silver,
I'm so sorry! Makes you wonder why people do that type of thing. I can't ever imagine doing that to someone!

I have a teammate who runs a pair of reynolds and he really likes them.

I have opted for a pair of Mavics, they got ordered today. But your news has made me feel bad about celebrating.

Hope you enjoy the reynolds! they are good wheels.

Yeah!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I'll celebrate for you!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Yeah! New Mavics!

of course, the real celebration shall not begin until you have them in your grimy hands! (seeing as I've ordered two pairs now and still don't have wheels)

Please post as some as you touch them! and post pictures as validation that you actually received them to redeem my faith in humanity. ;)

ehirsch83
10-04-2007, 07:39 AM
Yeah!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I'll celebrate for you!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Yeah! New Mavics!

of course, the real celebration shall not begin until you have them in your grimy hands! (seeing as I've ordered two pairs now and still don't have wheels)

Please post as some as you touch them! and post pictures as validation that you actually received them to redeem my faith in humanity. ;)

Yeah, I have to have faith in the ex that these will show up! He is a manger at a LBS in Albuquerque, and the Mavic rep came in saying they had deals on the 07 carbone pro's for employees(only like 10 sets left). He knew I was looking for new wheels and he called me. I couldn't turn it down! It is insane how cheap I am getting them(a little less then the AC 420s).

So they were ordered yesterday, they get shipped to albuquerque and then from albuquerque they make the journey to me in south florida!

But.. they are tubulars, so pretty much only going to be used for racing- not going to be training on them often.

silver
10-05-2007, 03:59 PM
NEWFLASH!!!!!

The american classic wheels mysteriously appeared at my door today!!!! OMG! I LOVE THEM!!! Seller says that the package was returned as undeliverable the first time. :confused: :confused:

Anyway! I've got them!!! now to get them put together. I don't have the tools to put them together myself so I've got to take them in.

Actually I'm going to have ceramic bearings put in and have them put the cassette on.

I need a scale to weigh them on. Oh! I'll go get pictures!

ehirsch83
10-05-2007, 04:58 PM
YAY SILVER!!!!!!!!!
I'm so excited for you! I just did a little happy dance. Great way to start your weekend.
:D :D :D :D :D

Get them together and post pictures!! Do a little Price is Right model action for us,hehe.

Congratulations on receiving your new wheels! I hope you fly with them.

silver
10-09-2007, 12:26 PM
Yeah!!! Yeah!! Yeah!!! OMG! I rode the new wheels today and they are wonderful!!!!

I took pictures but can't find the usb cord to download them. :(

I love them!!!!!

How I dressed them:

They are American Classics 420 bladed
veloplugs
lunarlite tubes
supersonic conti tires