PDA

View Full Version : Knees, underwear and wind...

Jenc
11-07-2004, 08:12 AM
Okay, now that I have your attention, I have questions about the following...I did a 30 mile ride this morning and it was VERY windy (which, in my opinion, SUCKS) and I think I may have done a lot in higher (harder) gears. My knees, right above my knee cap began to ache about 22 miles into it. Do you think it was the high gear, or do you think I may have been locking out one knee while coasting against the wind at times? I was thinking it was the ladder, so I became very concious of it, and my knees felt better. Just wondered what your experience has been.
Also, I know this is a funny question, but do ya'll wear underwear underneath your cycling sgorts? I have a friend say that she doesn't, but my underwear rubs and after a long ride...ouch!
Thanks for the advice.

DeniseGoldberg
11-07-2004, 08:39 AM
On the knee pain front, I suspect it was the high gears. You're better off spinning all of the time - it's much kinder to your knees.

Underwear? I never wear anything under my bike shorts. Biking shorts are designed to be worn without anything underneath them - and the chamois in the shorts does the trick.

CorsairMac
11-11-2004, 07:54 AM
ditto on the underwear. I can't even imagine how uncomfortable that would be. I have a friend who wears underwear under her shorts and I"m trying to figure out a tactful way to tell her she might be more comfortable without. The chamois is so thick the shorts don't show anything and there are enough issues with chafing without adding a line of elastic. (plus - I Hate underwear lines! :D )

KkAllez
12-10-2004, 11:47 AM
No underwear, chamois butter, and a Diva menstrual cup (who among us doesn't have a bit of vaginal drainage!)

Wind is your friend! Wind will make you stronger. Wind will also drive you nuts. I live where it is windy all the time. I had to learn to just adjust how I ride depending on the wind. If it is calm then I'll just make some phenominal mph averages. One thing my husband taught me is to ride in a higher cadence as it is easier on the legs.

admiral finch
12-17-2004, 01:26 PM
Hi, Jenc. Please be careful with your knees!! Use those granny gears, there's nothing wrong with it. What you're feeling could be what's called, Spring Knee, which is a form of tendonitis that happens from overtraining or not having cycling specific fitness. There are some great books out there including A Woman's Guide to Cycling and others that can help with injury prevention or explanation. RICE is always a good way to deal with pain and there are stretches you can do before and after riding that might help. I would ask your doctor/chiropractor, etc for advice if it keeps happening!

Also, you shouldn't be locking out your knees. If that is happening, you need to lower your seat. You should have your knees at a close to locked out position, but never so much that you're really locked at the bottom of the pedal stroke.

As for the underwear, go free chickadee!! I refused to believe it was better in the beginning and then I tried it and haven't gone back. The Butt-R is lifesaving. Trust us, you'll feel better. Chamois are fine against skin and as long as you wash the shorts every time, they're good to go.

Keeping Riding!!
The harder you ride against the wind, the faster you will be in the calm.

A.F.

mtbstarr
12-19-2004, 12:38 AM
Ummm, I have a question.....

Showing my ignorance here....what is a Diva menstrual cup? Never heard of that before.

Kudos to the free-bird thing though!!!!! No undies/spandex combo for this woman.

jobob
12-19-2004, 07:56 AM
Hi M -

Everything you want to know ( and, um, more :) ) can be found in these threads....

http://forums.teamestrogen.com/show...=&threadid=1921

http://forums.teamestrogen.com/show...&highlight=diva

Hmmm, for some reason these links aren't working, so try Plan B: Click on the Search button at the upper right corner of the screen, type Diva in the Search by Keyword box, and click Perform Search.

mtbstarr
12-19-2004, 09:30 AM
Thanks for the info. I had no idea such a device even existed. In light of that I will give a push to one of my faves. I have had a problem with vaginal dryness with tampons, until I tried OB silk ease. Comes out really easy and goes in the same way. None of that "sahara desert" feeling down there. They aren't bulky, or so long that you feel it when its in place.

~Just my 2 cents

KkAllez
12-19-2004, 12:50 PM
The Diva is a silicone version of the The Keeper. If you go to thekeeperstore.com you can find both. I have used the The Keeper for five years and developed an allergy to latex (Keeper is made of real rubber). I swear by it. I, too, had the same problem with tampons; it felt like I was pulling my guts out when I removed one. The Keeper and The Diva are absolutely awesome. Plus, the money you save from buying tampons will buy you at least a new jersey and shorts per year.

Anyways, to answer your question properly: they are menstrual cups. All you need is a panty liner when you are having your period, well, that and the cup. They are washable. Comfortable. As far as getting used to it, I liken it to getting used to contacts. A few days and you'll be an old pro.

I don't normally go on and on about a product, but I truly believe in this one. Back when I was endurance racing with horses I learned about the cup. I would spend four days a week, 70 miles from home, training two horses for endurance, not to mention thousands of miles on the road, and in the saddle. If it weren't for the cup I'd have to take a whole week off.

Oh, and if you get one, they have this little stem at the end...cut that off, it will only irritate you and get in the way.

As for the difference between latex and silicone: I've found the silicone to be a bit softer and more comfortable. Also, one thing I'm learning from nursing school, latex is as much a problem as insect stings when it comes to anaphylactic shock.

They cost about $25 - 35 and last about ten years.