PDA

View Full Version : Running - Week of Sept. 10-16

kelownagirl
09-12-2007, 07:56 PM
I am really bagged from being back at work again and from not sleeping well at night but I absolutely forced myself to try running again before dinner. I did 1km run, .5 walk, and another 1k run before my calf started hurting (similar to when I had shin splints) so I packed it in. By that point, my brain felt like running lots but my body was hurting in several places.... I'm glad I did the 2k anyway.

I really gotta go find a physiotherapist. My right hip/lower back/glute(?) is very tender and I can barely walk when I first get up in the morning. It doesn't hurt at all when I bike and only a tad when I run. Just when I sleep. Not sure if that's a good thing or a bad thing... :rolleyes: I have no idea what it is and it hurts in several different places but I'm assuming it's all related since it's all in the same general area...

Wahine
09-12-2007, 07:59 PM
KG - PM Pika. She would be able to rec. someone in Kelowna.

Kimmyt
09-13-2007, 05:59 AM
Hmm, haven't done much this week in the way of runs. I've been busy at work and home with the basement, but my swim class started and The Boy and I have been running to and from class, which is really nice. It's only 1.15 miles each way, so it's not enough to tire us out, but we do about a 9 min/mile pace on the way there and then a slower 10/11 mi/mile on the way home. It's rather nice to run in the dark, it's all sidewalk to get there (only problem, ow knees) and we hold a headlamp in our hands on the really dark portions to keep from tripping over buckled sidewalk or treacherous fallen acorns (!)

Only problem is I've been having some pain issues too. :( It seems like it came out of nowhere, this week every time I run I get a sore feeling in my right calf and some pain behind my shin. I think/know it's time for new shoes, but the pain is really upsetting me. I've implemented a few minutes of wall-sits to strengthen my muscles (read somewhere it could help with shin pain) but I think if I went and did a longer run it would warm up more, maybe just the shorter runs aren't allowing my muscles to fully stretch out.

limewave
09-13-2007, 07:10 AM
Did a quick 3 mile run with DD while I was making dinner the other night. I didn't think I'd get a run in, but as I was cooking dinner I got to the part in the recipe that said "and let simmer for 40 mintes." So I ran down stairs, threw on running clothes, whipped DD out the door and into the jogger and we were off! And the minestroni turned out really well too.

This morning I dragged myself out of bed and did a fast 5k. Tonight is weight training for 30 to 40 minutes.

Saturday I really need to do a long run, at least 6 miles. I've been in a slump the last two weeks and have kept my distances down at only 3 to 4 miles.

Deborajen
09-13-2007, 08:49 AM
Did a quick 3 mile run with DD while I was making dinner the other night. I didn't think I'd get a run in, but as I was cooking dinner I got to the part in the recipe that said "and let simmer for 40 mintes." So I ran down stairs, threw on running clothes, whipped DD out the door and into the jogger and we were off! And the minestroni turned out really well too.

I'm impressed! It would've taken me 20 minutes just to get my son ready and out the door when he was that age.

I did a 2-mile easy tempo run before work. It was absolutely beautiful this morning - temps in the low 60's, no wind. Long(er) run this weekend. Still easing back into the miles. Probably bike to work tomorrow - maybe a ride this weekend, too.

Deb

teigyr
09-13-2007, 10:48 AM
On tuesday I did a 4ish mile run and it hurt! Maybe it was too soon after the tri (was on sunday) and it took about 2 miles to get comfortable. I had about 1/2 mile window where I was good then everything hurt again :mad:

I saw my PT this morning and she said not to run again before my next tri, which is on sunday. After sunday, she said not to run for 1-2 weeks. Normally I'm ok with being told to be lazy but I just pictured the fat cells celebrating. She then said I could run 1-2 miles but no more and to go very easy.

That is that :D Was going to do 3-4 miles today but I'll ride instead.

rocknrollgirl
09-15-2007, 04:50 AM
Hi All,

I did a nice brick on Wed and 45 mins of rainy, muddy trail running this morning. Nothing spectacular....looking forward to some crispy weather.

Grog
09-15-2007, 07:57 AM
Arrrrrgh!

I have strained my left quad last night and it hurt like hell. Now it's better (thanks to two Advils, ice-cold shower and taking it easy) but I'm not riding today and my running tomorrow will be limited, to say the least.

I combined all the ingredients for a muscle strain: since back-to-school I have increased volume by quite a bit, and ran a lot downhill and uphill (not that I really have a choice around here). Then on yesterday's specific run I was with a bunch a friend on a speedwork session. Every week we have a different person deciding on the speedwork "pattern" but I think we had a miscommunication with the guy who did it yesterday. We had only 1 km warm up and then he took off for a 1-km interval at pretty high effort. There's a very slight downhill on the way and there it happened: ouch! I stopped dead in my tracks. Good thing, as there was another girl behind me who was struggling, so I talked her into doing our own thing (very light intervals and lots of walking) and going home a lot earlier than planned.

That sucks. But I guess that's a good warning.

northstar
09-15-2007, 08:05 AM
I did three 4.3 mile runs this past week...I have my first duathlon next week Sunday (23rd). The runs are 2 miles each and I'm feeling more confident now that I'm comfortable with the distance (total running newbie this year). In a way, I'm wishing I would have started working in some hill work this summer, but I realize now I probably would not have been ready to start that sort of thing anyway.

roadie gal
09-15-2007, 08:56 AM
It seems like the week to be hurt. I was laid up for almost 5 days after I tweaked my back trying to get 40 pounds of dog food out of the car. Yesterday I gingerly got back on the treadmill. But I was able to go for 5 miles. Yay. Today I'm still doing pretty well. Got my fingers crossed.

Shiraz
09-15-2007, 02:09 PM
I finally had a better week after not feeling so good (bladder, kidney). Last week I may have ran 1 time and it wasn't so good.

Tuesday : 6 mile temp run and weights
Thurday : 3.2 mile run
Friday : Interval training 1000 meter sprints / lunges 6.75 miles
Saturday: Bike ride 37.25 miles
Sunday ...... need to do a long run at least 10 miles

Hope everyone heals up fast and has a great week!!!!:) :)

yellow
09-15-2007, 06:36 PM
Did my 16 yesterday and 10 today. Felt really good on the last half of the 10. Of course most of that is downhill...:p The 16 was better than the 14 last week. Alot more climbing and tougher trail overall this week, but I had to go up high to avoid a repeat of too-warm-for-running that I had last week. I probably walked more, which might be why I felt better. The maples are red and the aspen are just starting to turn.

Saw 3 moose yesterday, one cow & calf pair and then a solitary cow. I worry about running into a bull this time of year. I'm sure I could climb a tree if I absolutely had to... :eek: And then tonight I had to get off the trail to avoid the tarantula that had somewhere very important to go. I've seen so many of them this year. They are pretty cool looking!

We're supposed to do a 50-60 mile ride tomorrow with a ton of climbing, to go see some fall colors and get some miles in before the century we're supposed to do next weekend. I think I'll be pretty pokey (though I feel pretty good right now). That way I'll enjoy the scenery a bit more, I think.

michelem
09-15-2007, 09:10 PM
Not a great week. On Tuesday night I ran 9 miles and walked another .5 as a cooldown. I had to stop at mile six and go pee (a couple drops, but as I was running it really felt like I had to go!). I didn't feel real peppy for any of the run, but I did complete it.

Got my period on Wednesday and felt horrendous the rest of the week - "hot flashes" (start sweating buckets for no apparent reason), stomach cramps, diarrhea . . .

So, I skipped my Thursday night run as well as my Saturday morning ride this morning. I am going to attempt a ride tomorrow morning and see if I can't get back on track this next week.

I am way behind on my fundraising goal and I'm afraid I'm going to be dropped from the team. :(

Just feeling discouraged all the way around this week. :(

Shiraz
09-16-2007, 12:28 PM
I finished my week with a 12 mile run with GF Susan. It always helps to have someone to chat with. I really would have bagged the run (pure lack motivation and sleep) if I didn't have a committment to keep. I got zero sleep last night and could hardly drag myself from the bed.

Yellow, I hope you are serious about enjoying the scenery because that is my plan. :) :) I have put more time into running this summer but I am hoping to ride again Tuesday evening.

Grog
09-16-2007, 12:47 PM
Active rest is doing wonders on me. I went for a gentle 10k this morning with a girlfriend, walking a minute every ten, which kept her lungs (recently quit smoking) and my legs (recently strained a quad) happy.

She had not run 10k in over a decade, she was quite excited about it. I love being able to share that with her.

Time for new runners though. I really dislike those I have now..

yellow
09-16-2007, 03:25 PM
Just feeling discouraged all the way around this week. :(
Hang in there, Michele. Some weeks are like that. Sometimes you need to wallow in it a bit, and that's fine. But then turn it around in your favor and use that energy to make the next hour/day/week/whatever just a little bit better, somehow. I have more hard days/weeks than I care to have, but I always snap out of it, usually thanks to my puppy dogs and the beautiful blue sky.

Training hard is hard, especially the mental part. Hang in there. You're doing so much more than most people will ever do in their entire lives. I think we forget that too easily!

:D

michelem
09-16-2007, 04:06 PM
Thanks for the encouragement, yellow. I got out for a really good ride this morning and that cheered me up. :) And, yes, my beagles and the great weather we're having don't hurt either. :)

teigyr
09-17-2007, 08:00 AM
Michele, I hope you're feeling better. It's amazing how those feelings can range from day to day.

While I have had to hang back on running (and am supposed to for the next few weeks per my PT), I did do a tri yesterday. And despite a really really hilly bike course, for the run (also with hills) for 3.1 miles I averaged 11.34 min/miles. Being that the first part of the run was so painful I could barely drag myself to do anything faster than slow walk/job, I am happy :D I guess it IS paying off. Didn't feel that way but when I finished (after all the swimming and riding kinks had worked out of my body) I felt GOOD!