PDA

View Full Version : Safety question by a newbie

cjane150
09-12-2007, 09:47 AM
Hi, everyone! I'm new to the forum and a newbie rider. I'm out of shape and overweight but have started riding the CO canal on the weekends with my family. We've done an 8 mile ride and 10 mile ride which was a lot for me. I'm 58 and hadn't been on a bike in over 30 years.:) I'd like to start riding more during the week so I can build up more stamina. What I'm wondering is if you all consider the canal path safe to ride by myself during the week? I'd be riding around the Shepherdstown or Williamsport areas. I did talk to a several guys in different bike shops and they all said I should be fine. Thanks for any advice you all can give me. Jane:)

Zen
09-12-2007, 09:52 AM
My advice is to come on down the page and visit us in the Mid-Atlantic forums.
(EDT- Never mind, I see now that's where we are)
The LBS is right, you should be fine. I might even join you sometime.
Depending on the weather next week I'd be happy to ride with you from the Cushwa Basin.

Kalidurga
09-12-2007, 04:54 PM
Jane, I've been riding alone on sections of the C&O from Riley's Lock all the way out to Cumberland for years and have never once felt unsafe. I actually feel safer out around Shep'town and Williamsport than I do down here in Montgomery County! I've never seen anyone on the towpath who wasn't out there for pretty much the same reason- to enjoy it.

I'll second Zen's invitation, too. The sections up- and down-stream of Cushwa Basin are great. I'd love to join anyone who's interested in riding up that way (or pretty much anywhere else on the towpath).

Oh, and another spot you might want to check out for riding (if you haven't already) is the Western Maryland Rail-Trail (http://www.hancockmd.com/WMRT/). It runs from Fort Frederick all the way past Hancock to Pearree, and is a beautiful, safe spot for riding.

Zen
09-12-2007, 07:12 PM
I just checked out the WMRT slide show and recognized the cement plant, I've kayaked up that way (if you can call floating downstream and steering kayaking). It's gorgeous up there.

Given the smoooooth paved trail, how do people ride? Crazy? I reckon you've only gone during the week though. I guess that's when I'd go too.

Kalidurga
09-13-2007, 03:15 AM
Weekdays on the WMRT are definitely good, but I'll tell you my secret for riding on the weekends: Begin riding 3 hours or so before sunset. At that point, everyone else is starting to think of heading home. You'll deal with some crowds at the beginning of your ride, but after a while it all clears out and you end up with the trail pretty much to yourself :p

7rider
09-13-2007, 08:42 AM
Hi, everyone! I'm new to the forum and a newbie rider. I'm out of shape and overweight but have started riding the CO canal on the weekends with my family. We've done an 8 mile ride and 10 mile ride which was a lot for me. I'm 58 and hadn't been on a bike in over 30 years.:) I'd like to start riding more during the week so I can build up more stamina. What I'm wondering is if you all consider the canal path safe to ride by myself during the week? I'd be riding around the Shepherdstown or Williamsport areas. I did talk to a several guys in different bike shops and they all said I should be fine. Thanks for any advice you all can give me. Jane:)

Hi, Jane.
I will leave the response to your questions to Zen and Kalidurga, as they are the best versed in those areas.
I just wanted to say "Welcome" to TE! I hope you find this place friendly, informative, and inspiring. There are a wide variety of folks here - from racer-types to cruisers. As long as it's on a bike...it's all good! You can get lots of good advice here if you need or want it. Just ask. Some of us (ahem! Who? Me?) just LOVE to chat!! :D

cjane150
09-13-2007, 01:48 PM
Thanks so much for all your replies. You've really helped my comfort level. Zen and Kalidurga, I think I'll have to take a rain check on that offer to ride with you. I think I have a long way to go before I could even begin to keep up with you. :) I just bought my Trek Navigator, which you probably know is a comfort bike. I got it because I have some balance issues and it seemed the most stable to me. Plus, I don't have any problems getting on and off. I've only ridden it the 2 times and I'm still very wobbly. I can't even steer very straight yet so there's no riding beside me. I have to really concentrate on where I going to keep from steering off the trail. I know it'll get better with practice but that's where I am now. I'd love to take you up on your offer when I have a little more experience. Thanks, again, for your very warm welcome. I've learned a lot already just by reading all the posts. I really appreciate how generous you all are in sharing your knowledge and love of riding.

Jane

Zen
09-13-2007, 04:27 PM
I'd still go with you. I ride a big ol' heavy MTB on the canal. I could always ride more after we're done.
You get better by riding with more experienced riders (not that I have all that much experience)

C'mon!

divingbiker
09-13-2007, 04:47 PM
I think I'll have to take a rain check on that offer to ride with you. I think I have a long way to go before I could even begin to keep up with you. :)

Hi, and welcome!

You know, some of us don't care a whit about going fast. So don't worry about it--just go out and have fun! Maybe we can get a TE-DC C&O ride organized before it gets too cold.

Zen
09-13-2007, 04:57 PM
You know, some of us don't care a whit about going fast. So don't worry about it--just go out and have fun!

When I rode the rails as a hobo my freight yard name was Slow Motion Jones ;) It's still a good name for me.

Kalidurga
09-13-2007, 05:33 PM
When I rode the rails as a hobo my freight yard name was Slow Motion Jones ;) It's still a good name for me.

I think I'm gonna call you Slo-Mo-Jo from now on.

Jane, enjoy your time getting comfortable on the bike. Take it easy and be patient with yourself. I'm sure you'll see lots of people on the C&O that you can take inspiration from. And definitely let us know when you decide that you're ready to have some company on your rides :D