PDA

View Full Version : 25 days from my Half Ironman and I think my IT Band is injured!

KSH
09-11-2007, 08:23 PM
CRAP! CRAP! CRAP!

Yes, I am totally paranoid at this point... but I think this is more than being paranoid.

So I ran Friday night, 5.5 miles. After the run it felt like my knee was swollen. Very odd. Nothing I had felt before. Due to it hurting I didn't ride my 70 mile ride as scheduled on Saturday.

I get up Saturday and take some Aleve. BAM! My pain is gone. So, I proceed to lay around all day (10-5) and then I decide that my knee is fine so there is no reason why I should miss what I have on my schedule.

I push my long run to Saturday and I go run 10 miles on the treadmill (too hot for outside running).

I get up Sunday and my knee seems to be fine. No pain to speak of. I ride 30 miles at about a 13 mph average- it's a slow ride.

Monday I go swim 4,000 yards.

Today... Tuesday... I go to run at lunch. I was only going to do 2.5 miles just due to lack of time. It was a beautiful day and only around 78 degrees. Cold for Texas!

I start to run. WOAH! Not good! The outside of the left leg by/around the knee hurts. Only hurts when I run on it. Great. My lower legs are tightening up. I walk. I stretch. I try to run again. PAIN! EXTREME PAIN! Everything below the knees hurts.

I then decided to call it a day and limped back to the office. Typically I would finish the miles but I knew that something was really wrong with the left leg.

Then I rode 25 miles tonight at a 15 mph average. The leg felt fine during the ride for the most part.

Now that I'm at home it's still OK, but there is pain. I believe it's the IT band. It's on the outside of my knee and right above it. Like a muscular pain. Very localized. I looked at pictures of where the IT band will hurt and that's where it hurts.

But I don't have pain in the upper part of the leg near the hip or the butt. I only hurt there. I have to say though, I can't run on it.

Dang it. If I'm injured right before my HIM this is totally going to suck. It's every athletes worse nightmare... right? Yes, I can walk the run but I didn't run 70-80 miles each month, for the past 3 months to walk 13 miles.

I hope to get to a Dr. to get it checked out by the end of the week. Maybe ice, rest, stretching, and a cortizone shot (ok, I know I probably won't get one... but a gal can dream :cool: )... MAYBE I can run by the HIM.

Running Mommy
09-11-2007, 08:45 PM
Lots of things you can do for an ITB. BUT you don't want to pisz it off anymore than it already is, so lay off the running. You have the fitness for the race, so be smart about this.
Lot's of stretches you can do. Google the ITB or go on runnersworld.com in their injury section.
With the proper protocol you will be ok come race day, just be careful and keep up the stretches even after the pain goes away.
OY if this doesn't happen to ALL of us at one time or another!! :(

Deborajen
09-11-2007, 08:47 PM
I hope it's nothing major - I know you've been working for a long time for this.

I think I've been having IT band issues, too. Have you tried IT band stretches? I found some on the Runner's World website and have gotten some relief from them. I hate to say it, but I'm not 100% yet and it's been about a month since this all started. I've only been doing the stretches for about a week though.

Maybe someone else has some other suggestions. Knee stuff is all new to me. Good luck - hope you get it resolved and finish that HIM that you've earned.

Deb

Wahine
09-11-2007, 09:45 PM
KSH - I experienced something very similar 2 weeks before IM. I went for a deep tissue massage and stretched like crazy. I stopped running and hoped for the best on race day and it was fine. No problems during or afterward.

If you need some specific stretching links PM me.

RoadRaven
09-11-2007, 11:41 PM
Do all the stuff Doc suggests, and PM Wahine for her stretches!

Sending positive thoughts your way, KSH

I know how virtually devastating it can be to get so close... but there is still time to manage it

rocknrollgirl
09-12-2007, 01:52 AM
KSH, I have had ITB problems off and on for the past two years. It usually gets pissed off if I increase my distance too suddenly, or run too many hills. Do the stretches, massage does help, and ICE.

You have to back off the running, for a bit or it can become chronic. You have a good strong base, so don't panic.

Let us know what happens.

Ruth

tattiefritter
09-12-2007, 06:44 AM
As has already been said, rest, stretch and get a massage, the last is very important. I got ITB problems when I suddenly introduced loads of hills into my running in one of my usual fits of overenthusiasm :o I also insisted on running on it and ignoring it which made it worse though thankfully I saw sense when I realised I was contemplating taking ibuprofen to allow me to run. Its a personal rule of mine to not do exercise if I have to take a painkiller first. Luckily biking was ok and I kept my fitness up.

I did all the stretches I could and took ibuprofen but it was the massage that sorted me out - I am not ashamed to say I nearly cried with the pain :eek: , it was possibly the most painful hour of my life (and I paid for the privilege) but it worked. I jetted off on holiday to NYC the day after the massage and spent a weak walking around which wasn't the best plan but once I came back and got off my feet for a bit recovery was quite swift for the ITB issues though I had other problems aside from this.

I stretch my IT Band pretty much everyday now using the yoga pigeon pose.

spokewench
09-12-2007, 06:50 AM
I stretch my IT Band pretty much everyday now using the yoga pigeon pose.

THe Yoga Pigeon Pose is the best thing for stretching the IT band - be very careful at first - you can really feel this one! I do it every day since I have had chronic IT band stuff going on for 15 years. If I stretch every day, I am fine.

And ICE when it is inflammed like you are experiencing. I had the same pain you have years ago when I was running! THe funny thing with me was that when I ran it was not bad, it was when I started to walk that it really bothered me.

tattiefritter
09-12-2007, 07:07 AM
Yes, be careful and do it gently. When I first did it I found it relatively easy but then we covered it in yoga class and I found out I was doing it wrong! The correct way is much more deep and effective - and really exposes the tightness.

KSH
09-12-2007, 12:48 PM
Ladies... THANK YOU! You are all so very kind to respond with such details and so quickly!

So this is what I got from all of it:

1) It's not career ending. Or race ending.
2) I need to stretch (I will be doing this!) and putting ice on it.
3) Do not run. Fine with me!

Now, do you think I can RIDE? I figured I would supplement my time not running with riding.

I get to see the Dr. in a week. UGH! I hate having to wait a week, but that was the earliest I could get in. I did make sure to have the nurse direct me to a Dr. at the office who specializes in IT Bands.

All right, now I'm off to IM Wahine!

RoadRaven
09-13-2007, 12:53 AM
All right, now I'm off to IM Wahine!

Good girl :D