PDA

View Full Version : Road Rash!!!!!

GrandPrix
09-10-2007, 07:07 PM
Greetings all!

Sort of funny that my username is grandprix - that was the name of my old bike...now i have a pretty serotta named bea ('cause she looks like a bumblebee!)!

well my lovely serotta and i were cut off by a car....luckily no major damage....concussion that is fading and some road rash that is healing...

but the road rash....not sure how to handle it...it's been a week - i've taken super good care of it with neosporin and tegaderm....

starting to heal - it's pink and raw looking but doesn't sting anymore....but now it is ITCHING - i mean really itchy! and i noticed that the itchy areas are a little bubbly? peeling skin maybe? this happened to anyone else before?

: ) Naomi

Eden
09-10-2007, 07:41 PM
hmmmmm - yeah the road rash I've had has itched a bit as it was healing up, but bubbly... the new skin does tend to look a bit puckered, but if its bumpy, like a rash, I might be worried that I was allergic to either the antibiotic cream or the bandage. You might search for Mr. Silver's road rash thread - he was allergic to neosporin and gives a pretty good description of what it looked/felt like.

margo49
09-11-2007, 07:13 AM
Itchy is also a sign of "nearly healed".

dirtygirl1
09-11-2007, 05:47 PM
Two words for you: Vitamin E!! I had a really bad crash on a dirt road earlier this year and Vitamin E was my saviour. I'd pop the capsules open and spread it on the pink part of my skin. It would soothe the itching and help along the healing process. It also got rid of the 'bubbles'.

I still have pink skin (over 2 months later ...) but it is healthy skin now ... and not itchy or bubbly ...

jcorbiser
09-11-2007, 07:05 PM
You didn't happen to fall in any grassy area? I recently had a fall and as my road rash started to heal, poison ivy started to appear! :eek:

GrandPrix
09-13-2007, 05:47 AM
I went to see the doctor and as it turns out...it WAS an allergic reaction to the neosporin and now all seems to be better again...

In other news.....still dealing with the effects of the concussion.....seems i have post-concussion effects which the doctor says can be normal....so no getting back on the bike for me until they go away : (

Mostly just some equilibrium troubles and not dealing with lack of sleep as well as i used to : ( think i just need to be good about taking care of myself now....anyone had this before?

OakLeaf
09-13-2007, 06:15 AM
not dealing with lack of sleep as well as i used to : ( think i just need to be good about taking care of myself now....anyone had this before?

Hey - hope you're healed up soon -

Just a thought from my own experience: pain is EXHAUSTING, even if you have a high pain threshold and don't actually realize you're in pain. I think it's probably not that you're not "dealing with lack of sleep," it's that you need more sleep and more rest until the contusions start to fade and the road rash starts to heal. And take your pain medicine, even when you think you don't need it.

Twenty years ago when I had my concussion and some pretty good road rash, I didn't feel like I needed any extra rest or pain pills, and I didn't take any of either. And I wound up with a sinus infection that lasted for 11 weeks and resisted all antibiotics. I finally had to take a week off riding *and work* to rest and recover.