PDA

View Full Version : Biker for less than a year tries running - Nuts?

Bklynmom
09-10-2007, 06:12 PM
I have been biking since last March. After putting 1900 miles on the bike and finishing a 111 mile Century plus (almost 9 hours, but still), I have decided the lungs need to be in better shape.

Bought good shoes and tried it this morning at the Y on the treadmill. 9 min run, varying speed from 4.2 to 5.5 MPH, then a min. of walking, then repeat 2 more times. Finished with 5 more min at 5 MPH. Honestly it felt surprisingly good. My son's i-pod made it possible - Ramones and Arrowsmith are great for running.

Did I do it right? Tomorrow it will be raining cats and dogs, and I though I could do an easy 20 min run at 4.5. Does this make sense? I really seem to need the endorphins every day.

My plan is to do it a few times a week when it is too cold or rainy to bike.

Is there a book or web site that would help? I only have found starting from Couch Potato advice and marathon prep. I fall somewhere in between - really just want the running to help me be a faster biker with better breathing.

KSH
09-10-2007, 07:07 PM
Well congrats on your biking achievements! That's something to be proud of!

You are doing a good job by walking and running and easing into the speed and miles.

Just make sure that you have running shoes made for your stride and strike. Running in good shoes is very important as it prevents injuries.

Also ease into your miles. It's not like cycling where you can make huge leaps and bounds... without the threat of getting injured. The rule is that you up your miles by 10% each week.

And when you can, run outside. It's a lot more challenging than running on a treadmill.

Good luck! Oh, and from what I have seen good runners are fast on the bike!

Deborajen
09-10-2007, 08:27 PM
Nuts? Well if you are, you're in good company! ;) Running is good cross-training for cycling - and vice versa.

Ditto what KSH said about gradually increasing your miles. Running is tougher on the body than cycling. My very first "run" was 10 minutes without stopping - didn't worry about the pace. The plan I followed was to build up to a 10K over a period of 10 weeks, running or running/walking three times a week. I didn't end up doing the 10K then - ended up breaking my big toe when I dropped a weight on it at the gym - but four years later I still run. :)

The Runner's World website has some good articles on training at any level. A good book is Katherine Switzer's "Running and Walking for Women Over 40" (which has good information for any age, not just over 40).

I like the I-Pod for the treadmill, too. ZZ Top is good for running - that cracks my husband up because it's kind of out of character for me. :p

Deb

HillSlugger
09-12-2007, 12:01 PM
It sounds like your first run was a huge success.

The advice I got from a friend/running coach was to ignore distance at first and concentrate on a 30 minute workout. Run as much as you can, and walk when you need to, but keep the walk under 90 seconds (keeps the heart rate up). As you improve you'll run more and walk less. After you get to running a full 30 minutes you'll naturally start to get faster and can start adding distance, but only in 10% increases. This approach will take you a long way. Later, you'll probably need to do intervals and such to increase your speed.

teigyr
09-12-2007, 12:10 PM
I think it's a great idea too. I used to run as an alternative for when I didn't have enough time to ride. I was off for about 7 years and started back up this year. There are times it hurts but there are also times when it all comes together and is great! I agree to get shoes that work/fit for you. Going somewhere good, ie a place where a part-time high school student isn't trying to fit you, is a good thing. I went to a place that fit me into (due to really ugly feet) mens shoes with extra width. After getting those shoes and double-layer socks, it was the first time ever I didn't have blisters.

I think it will be a perfect cross-training activity. I always remember an endurance athlete I used to work with talk to me about her exploits. She would do these 100 mile trail runs...she was so great :D Anyway, she said running can double as cycling training but cycling training doesn't work for running. She could not ride for ages but due to all her running she was very strong on the bike.

Bklynmom
09-12-2007, 05:48 PM
Great advice thanks! I have gotten great advice and encouragement before from you as I recall:)

I went to a grown up running store - Jack Rabbit in Park Slope Brooklyn. A great guy named Todd, who also bikes, fit my running shoes. Even taped me while I tried them out. They are excellent - Brooks.

So far I am good on the treadmill, and outside it is much slower. We went to Jones Beach on Labor Day weekend, and instead of sitting around drinking beer and swimming, I went for a 30 min. run on the beautiful boardwalk.

I have become addicted to that endorphin pump, and when there isn't time to ride, running will come in handy.

northstar
09-13-2007, 05:58 AM
Not nuts at all! :)

Funny how one thing leads to another, isn't it? Start slow and ease into it. I hope all goes well for you!