PDA

View Full Version : Bruised, Sore and Loving Every Minute of It!

SheFly
09-10-2007, 09:31 AM
Yup - that's what 'cross will do to you - distort your perception :D .

Yesterday was our first 'cross race of the season in Milford, NH. This was a new venue from last year, and after literally 40 days and nights with no rain in New England, we arrived to a rain-soaked course and a downpour - excellent conditions for a race!

This year's course had a LOT of pavement. DH and I arrived just after the B Women were finishing, and we heard a lot about the slippery transitions and the wet pavement. Most of the women in the race had gone down at some point - either on warmup, or during the race. The good news was that they were all still smiling ;-). One of my teammates finished 2nd in her first 'cross race ever, and another finished 3rd, both wielding trophies for their efforts.

DH's race started at 11:00 - A Masters, 35+/45+. At that point, the rain was down to a slight drizzle, but the course was pretty wet. I walked the course while he was racing, and thought it looked pretty fun - pavement start to an uphill gravel climb into the "spaghetti bowl" (a series of back and forth turns that included two sets of barriers), then into the woods, some pavement transition and into the sand pit (which also included a barrier), back onto some tight, twisty pavement around the tennis courts, onto a dirt path, with a final pavement transition leading back to the start/finish (and a hairpin turn). DH did well, finishing 9th!

For me, this was to be my first 'cross race as a Cat 3, so I lined up in the Women's Open field at 2:00 pm. To say I was intimidated would be an understatement - I would be racing against elite level racers who are much faster than myself. However, my strategy for this season is to race against these women in the non-UCI races to learn, and hopefully, become a better 'cross racer. I was going to use this race as a barometer - to see where I was with my fitness and skills as the season started.

I didn't get a great start in the race, but thankfully avoided the very first crash as we headed up the pavement. I was able to make up some time in the "spaghetti bowl", and then actually managed to pass someone in the sand run as well. In the second lap, I passed a rider who hit a stump right after one of the pavement/sand transitions, and she stayed right behind me for the remainder of the race. It was good incentive - a younger teammate (and former 'cross national champ) was in front of me, and this woman behind, so there was no chance to rest.

On the final lap, I caught my teammate, and urged her to push just a little bit harder. I ended up passing her, but apparently, that's all it took - when she had recovered slightly, she passed me back, and picked up the pace to beat me across the line! I was really happy with my race - I only got lapped by Anna and Rebecca ;-) and finished somewhat respectably (14 out of 20, with the top 4-6 being Cat1 and 2 roadies and/or Elite-level 'cross racers!).

Sadly, one of the women took one of the pavement corners a little too fast on the final lap, crashed, and hit her face. I do hope that she heals quickly. I told her to tell anyone who asks that they should see the other guy ;-).

Oh - on the way home, we saw something you don't get a glimpse of everyday. On the Northbound side of Rte 3 in Tyngsboro, a plane made an emergency landing because it had run out of gas! By the time we went past, they were loading the plane onto a truck to be hauled to the airport in Nashua. The good news - no injuries or car accidents resulted, and the pilot managed to fuel up, and continue his flight home!

RoadRaven
09-10-2007, 11:09 AM
Excellent SheFly - so exciting
We don't have much cyclocross here that I know of - well not in the area where I live... so i know almost nothing about it.
Your story gives me a bit more insight...

LOL about the weather and the mud - sounds like a winter game of rugby!
Was the "first crash" due to the conditions?

Congrats to DH for his top ten finish, and well done you for coming middle of the field when you say you are learning about it.

Glad you had a good (and safe!) day

wavedancer
09-10-2007, 06:18 PM
Congrats on your first Cat 3 cross race! Sounds like you had fun and did well. Will you be coming down to the Eco-Cross in East Falmouth on the 22nd? I'm going to give it a try on my mountain bike :eek: It would be great to watch you race, too!

Veronica
09-10-2007, 06:27 PM
All you racers just amaze me! I don't think I would like having so many people riding near me, all trying to pass. I love reading about it though!

V.

SheFly
09-11-2007, 08:16 AM
Congrats on your first Cat 3 cross race! Sounds like you had fun and did well. Will you be coming down to the Eco-Cross in East Falmouth on the 22nd? I'm going to give it a try on my mountain bike :eek: It would be great to watch you race, too!

ABSOLUTELY! the best part of that race is the beer tent :D . Your mountain bike will be perfect for that course, Linda. Last year, I was wishing I had my singlespeed. Let me know if you will be there!

SheFly

SheFly
09-11-2007, 08:18 AM
All you racers just amaze me! I don't think I would like having so many people riding near me, all trying to pass. I love reading about it though!

V.

'Cross is actually much more individual than all of the road racing I did this year. I was pretty much on my own for most of the 'cross race after the first couple of laps, which is more typical. In the road races, though, there are definitely some "too close for comfort" moments. Bouncing off of inexperienced riders at speed can be nerve-wracking ;) .

SheFly

SheFly
09-11-2007, 08:19 AM
Was the "first crash" due to the conditions?

Sadly, no. I would say it was rider inexperience. She hit a sloping curb (parallel to the curb) - likely could have jumped it and ridden it out, but went down instead. The second crash was due to wet pavement.

SheFly

Sheesh
09-11-2007, 06:07 PM
SheFly - Congratulations on a great race! Please do keep the race reports coming. Reading race reports keep me excited for the season as I am still waiting for my bike to arrive.

Kalidurga
09-12-2007, 04:50 AM
Thanks very much for the report, SheFly, and congratulations! You and the rest of the TE ladies who race 'cross are my heroes!

The first 'cross race in this area is the Charm City race in Baltimore on 9/23. I don't have your guts so I'll be viewing instead of racing, but I can't wait!!

Voodoo Sally
09-12-2007, 08:51 AM
I did this race, too. It was the first one of the season for DH and me. We did OK! I did the Beginner Women's race, and got 4th out of 9. Pretty good for me. I kept it steady and smooth, and managed to not wipe out. One lady in front of me went down pretty hard at one curved transition into the woods. It started to rain in the 2nd half of my race, but I had a power surge late in the race too, which was nice. DH didn't do too badly either in the "B" Masters, during which it poured rain. Bring on the 'cross season! Next up is one in NH on Sunday called Sucker Brook 'Cross.

SheFly
09-12-2007, 09:39 AM
Sally - I thought that was you ;) . Congrats on a great result Sunday! The rain had stopped and the ground had even dried out some by the time our race started, so it wasn't a treacherous as what I heard yours and DH's races were like.

I'll see you at Suckerbrook on Sunday, but I am racing Elite later in the day. Good luck in your race!

SheFly (Cathy)

Voodoo Sally
09-12-2007, 10:15 AM
Congratulations to you too, Cathy, for your excellent result in the "big girls" race!