PDA

View Full Version : Gear tips for a roadie newbie? and random musings

lph
09-10-2007, 12:49 AM
Hiya - I'm gradually getting used to riding my new (fast! red! gorgeous! :p ) road bike, but I'm also noticing that some of my old bike stuff just doesn't work that well on longer/faster rides.

Helmet: I needed to buy a new helmet anyway (crashed on the old one), so I got a visorless Giro Monza, in silver grey. Instead of the matte black visored Giro Havoc I thought was coolest ;) I still have a bit of neck trouble though, which I think is due to my (cheapo) sunglasses. I like to ride way down in the drops, but I can't *see* much. Does anybody know of ok sunglasses where the frame just attaches to the side of the glasses, so the field of view upwards is completely clear?

Shorts: I realize now how good my Pearl Izumi Ultrasensor shorts really are - and how terrible my Gore and Nike shorts are. The PIs fit me nicely, any tips on other shorts of the same quality that maybe don't cost *quite* as much? What's with the bibs, are they more comfortable? Look like more hassle to me :confused:

The wind really is noticeable at speed on the road. I bought a bright red windbreaker I really like so far (Gore Xenon), and it matches my bike...:D I have some knee warmers, but I'll need some arm warmers and some long leg warmers - or some thin tights. It's easier to stay warm whomping around on a mtb!

And... I just don't really get the jerseys with pockets yet. I dislike having heavy stuff in my pockets at any time, so I'd rather put stuff in my seatpost bag than have it lumpy on the small of my back. Any reason I shouldn't be?

Anyone want to muse along with me, feel free :)

crazycanuck
09-10-2007, 01:32 AM
I have some arm warmers if you'd like them..I really don't need three pairs :rolleyes:

C

DirtDiva
09-10-2007, 02:15 AM
For glasses, you could try the Adidas Supernova (http://www.adidas.com/eyewear/catalogue/index.asp?pFilter=category&pValue=sc_8&strCountry_adidascom=com&strBrand_adidascom=performance), if you don't mind spending a bit on something decent. There's a few other frameless designs on their site too. If you're the type that looses/breaks glasses and don't want to spend much, I guess just shop around and see what you can find.

Pockets on road jerseys are good for FOOD! :D I do tend to stuff a few other bits and pieces in 'em though (phone, card, key...) because my saddle bag is only just big enough to fit the tube changing essentials.

koala
09-10-2007, 02:17 AM
Well, you'll get the jerseys-with-pockets thing later as you're out on the bike for long rides & need to reach back to grab a snack to keep you going. You can do this on the bike safely as opposed to having to go into your under the seat bag, for which you should stop & get off your bike.

You already bought one of the best windbreaker shells on the market, so you can wear that instead of warmers over a short-sleeve jersey. It is so light & packable that you can peel it off & stuff it in your back pocket (another use for the pockets!) if it warms up. I'm not a big fan of warmers. The arm warmers slide down so I'm constantly pulling them up, & I hate all the extra grippers on the legs. Thin tights are great.

As for the shorts, you get what you pay for in that world. If you find some you like, stay with them & keep an eye open for a sale price. You'll avoid disappointment that way. And bibs can be super-comfortable because you get rid of the waistband. Just make sure they fit you right, and that the straps are not too long (they do need to stay up). And for bathroom issues, no hassle at all if you remember to wear a full-zip jersey. You peel it off like a jacket, & whiz & go!

lph
09-10-2007, 10:10 AM
ah, you guys are great :)

food - can't believe I didn't think of that... I'm a food monster otherwise, and like to have something edible stashed nearby at all times.

sunglasses - yowza, the supernovas looked very cool! On purpose I've avoided looking at the price yet...

arm warmers - canuck, you're a dear for offering :) , but I've seen some on sale here and the postage getting them over here would probably be more than that.

bibs - hmm, still sceptical, but I'll consider making my next pair a bib... I'll feel the part if nothing else :p

Grog
09-10-2007, 10:42 AM
The Trashy Cat Satin shorts were rated extremely well by Bicycling magazine. I think they are the same or almost at the MEC Rapide shorts (http://www.mec.ca) that I LOVE (and they sell for $52 Cdn - dunno what shipping to Norway would be).

You'll find both online easily.

Enjoy!

captenaj
09-13-2007, 08:10 AM
I've never worn arm or leg warmers but I've sure thought they would come in handy. Canuck, if you're giving stuff away, I wouldn't mind trying a pair.

mimitabby
09-13-2007, 08:34 AM
pockets, pockets! how could you NOT want pockets?

that's where I put keys, cellphone, camera, money?? where do YOU put these things?

when i ride without a bike jersey i have to find somewhere ELSE to put all that stuff!!

indysteel
09-13-2007, 09:31 AM
I'd like to recommend Sugoi's Helix tight. I bought a pair of those last years for less than $40 retail, along with several much more expensive pairs of tights, Sugoi's Midzero and Shebeest something-or-another. I loved the Helix tights far and above the other two. They're relatively thin, but I found them to be very warm and comfortable. The Midzero's had a seem in the crotch that really bothered me and the Shebeest's were kind of bulky and unflattering and, despite being much thicker, they weren't any warmer.

As for shorts, I'm a big fan (thanks to Susan at TE) of Sugoi's RS Short. I feel sort of disloyal saying this on TE's forum, but you can get a good deal on the 2006 model at Campmor.com.

And I agree that you'll make good use of rear pockets when you start doing really long and/or unsupported rides. You should have seen me when I did the Ride Across Indiana. I was loaded down. I don't put anything too heavy back there as a general rule, but in any event, you get used to it. You could use a bag for your top tube instead if it really bothers you.

Have fun!

K-

Trekhawk
09-13-2007, 08:45 PM
I love my jersey pockets!!
Its funny but after awhile you get use to stuffing gear in them. Im amazed at how much stuff I have been able to get in mine on longer rides. On some rides I have had food in one section a light shell in another and leg warmers on the other side and have still been comfortable :)

lph
09-13-2007, 11:51 PM
I haven't done any rides longer than three hours yet, and for that I'll have spare tube+co2-inflator+card/cash+cellphone in my seatpost bag, plus a little room left over to stuff my windbreaker in. (Yes, I still have a big dorky seatpost bag).

But I'm just finding out that having an energy bar thingy or two in my jersey pocket IS handier than having to rummage it out of the bag and having spare tube+co2-inflator etc. start falling out... :rolleyes:

Off to buy arm warmers and tights/leg warmers today! whee, new sport to shop for!

lph
09-15-2007, 01:16 AM
ooo, got a pair of really nice "long legs" (amazing what money will buy ;) ), a sleek little PI saddle bag and a jersey WITH pockets on sale yesterday. Boring colour but cheap.

But I have another question if anybody's still reading this thread: reach, yet again. I have my saddle set up to the correct position, as far as I can tell. Tha handlebars are low, but feel fairly comfortable. I've always "ridden low" and my back is quite flexible, eg. I can put my hands flat on the floor with straight legs.

The drops are a bit of a reach, but I can still bend my elbows if I "have to". But if I do I have trouble pedalling - my thighs start hitting my upper body! Ribs and shoulder, I'm flatchested. Um - maybe I'm just not supposed to bend that far over (and pedal)? To pedal efficiently it feels better to have my hands up on the hoods with elbows more bent. I can also keep my elbows narrower like that.

I'm wondering if I should try a shorter stem or slightly higher handlebars.

DirtDiva
09-15-2007, 01:22 AM
Have a play with the angle of the bars too. Can you flip your stem to get a little more rise? Neither of these will necessarily be the answer, but they're the cheapest options, so worth trying first!

roadie gal
09-16-2007, 06:58 AM
I vote for arm and leg warmers this time of year when the temps can go from chilly to very warm over a short period of time. I have the thigh-ankle leg warmers, not just the knee warmers. They were cheap from Performance.

For shorts, try www.aerotechdesigns.com. I have 3 pairs of their Top Shelf shorts ($49.95) that have lasted for over 4 years. I find them more comfortable than my PI's which were double the price.

I almost never use my jersey pockets. I carry a Camelbak on all of my rides. I'm a big drinker:p and I like to have the room to carry extra food, clothing, phone, etc.

Veronica
09-16-2007, 07:04 AM
pockets, pockets! how could you NOT want pockets?

that's where I put keys, cellphone, camera, money?? where do YOU put these things?

when i ride without a bike jersey i have to find somewhere ELSE to put all that stuff!!

I hate having stuff in my pockets.

Keys, cell phone, money, extra food go into a small handlebar bag. Food I'm actually eating goes in the Bento box. If I'm expecting Thom to call I'll put my cell phone in my jersey. I keep my camera in my jersey since I'm more likely to use it if it's there.

V.

Starfish
09-16-2007, 11:03 AM
About your bib question...I'm looking forward to trying bibs someday when I get the budget because my digestion can get a little iffy on longer/harder rides, and I find the double waistband of shorts+tights can bother me.

PscyclePath
10-01-2007, 06:24 PM
About your bib question...I'm looking forward to trying bibs someday when I get the budget because my digestion can get a little iffy on longer/harder rides, and I find the double waistband of shorts+tights can bother me.

Bib shorts are very comfortable, since you don't get the pinch around the middle that regular bike shorts can give you. Where they come up short, especially depending on what kind of "digestive troubles" you're referring to, is that when you have to make a "natural" stop, the jersey has to come off before the over-the-shoulder straps can be slipped off and the shorts come down so that you can do your business.

It's bad enough for us menfolk, depending on the circumstances (Bob Roll tells a hilarious story about such a stop he made in the 1989 Tour de France in his book, Bobke II), but I strongly suspect it's also why female riders tend to stick with the regular bike shorts.