PDA

View Full Version : fall foliage bike fest - staunton, va

aicabsolut
09-09-2007, 02:09 PM
Anyone interested in doing any of this? Oct 20-21.

I'm thinking about doing a ride on Sunday. I'm not really sure about logistics exactly, because I'd probably stay Saturday night at my grandparents' place in Middlebrook. It would make the most sense for me to ride the bike to Staunton (unless they can give me a lift in their Subaru :o ), then ride with the group back to Middlebrook, where my grandfather's ruritan club will be feeding people. mmmmm. From there, I don't know if I'd do the 26 mile add-on or do my own ride in the area. That last part might depend on how much exploring of those roads I get to do before this event. Because of the hefty price tag, I am probably going to email them and see if I can get a discount based on my lack of total participation in the event. Or maybe I'll email and add the 50 miler on Saturday to at least get another "free" lunch out of it. At least they'll have massage therapists available there after the ride to help you recover :D. There's a Saturday century for those of you into that.

Anyway, it's a nice area out there, and my grandparents would like me to participate and visit them of course.

It seems you can kind of roll out whenever the routes are open..not too structured schedule.

Here's the website:
http://www.shenandoahbike.org/

divingbiker
09-09-2007, 03:33 PM
I looked into this a couple of months ago after two women I met at Cycle Across Maryland raved about what a great event it is. Might have to consider it again. I'd definitely go if my grandparents lived in the area and had a nice comfy bed for me to sleep in.:)

bike4ever
09-09-2007, 04:09 PM
I used to do this ride when we lived back east. Now it's a little far for a weekend ride. I also have family conflicts this year. It is a very beautiful ride. You will completely enjoy the fresh smell of manure.

F8th637
09-09-2007, 05:20 PM
That area of Virginia is absolutely beautiful especially when the leaves start turning. I probably will not be making that ride though I had looked into it earlier as we'll be coming back from Italy that week. I wondered if maybe that ride was hilly. Does anyone know? I'd definitely love to do it one day.

bike4ever
09-09-2007, 06:10 PM
Staunton has rolling hills. I don't remember anything too terrible. I do recall part of the century had a steep climb on it though.

aicabsolut
09-10-2007, 08:49 AM
I don't know what roads they're using, but it seems like pretty small rollers for the most part. There are some roads that go up and up and up for miles, but gradually. I think the climbing in general on the good roads isn't as steep as Charlottesville. Staunton and Middlebrook are all the way on the other side of the mountain. I've only ridden around the 10 mile "block" at my grandparents' so far, and it was pretty flat except for a long steady climb leaving the "town" of Middlebrook. It was not steep at all. I'm trying to figure out which roads have good visibility for riding solo--most don't have any shoulders and there are tons of blind corners--and which ones are paved. My grandfather just gave me a good map of Augusta county, so I'll try to get out on the bike the next time I visit them.

The website suggests a triple, but I'm thinking that's not necessary. The century does seem pretty challenging. I am not in shape for a century of any kind.

Of course, I love my compact double. Even so, my small ring is a 36.

I'm going to see if I can get them to email a cue sheet so I can look at the profiles and program stuff on my Garmin and decide about my ride options.

Janice, are you really interested? I'm sure I'll be around here (cville) a lot in October, because my niece and nephews both have birthdays nearby.

Oh, if you mention the Hook newspaper (cville city paper), you supposedly can get $5 off registration. There was an ad that said "$5 off with this ad."

As for the manure smell, that's old news to me. :p I grew up around horses.

bike4ever
09-10-2007, 08:58 AM
The last time I did this ride, I had a double. I didn't have any issues. My husbands family is in Middlebrook.

aicabsolut
09-10-2007, 11:44 AM
Really? We might be related then, lol. I'm sorta kidding.....

divingbiker
09-10-2007, 03:26 PM
Janice, are you really interested?

I think I'm going to be riding on Saturday with the women who raved about the event, so I'll get some more info from them and decide. The challenge for me is that I'll be in Belize the weekend before, so I may be feeling like it's time to stay home and get my life in order. Finding someone to stay with the dogs can be a hassle, too.

I'd love to get out in the countryside to see the pretty fall leaves.

aicabsolut
09-10-2007, 06:00 PM
ok, well, keep me posted. i'm going to email them and see what my options are. if i ride on saturday, i'll probably do the 50, eat a ton of food, and get a massage. at least, ideally. my recovery time sucks right now, especially training on hills. i haven't done any racing or intervals in probably 2 months. hopefully, it'll be better by then.

you should try to go on sunday too, at least for the brunch ;).

i went out to my grandparents' for lunch yesterday and i came home with a box full of apple butter (from the ruritan club), tomatoes from the garden, and country ham. mmm