PDA

View Full Version : Searching for comfortable saddle

Ana
09-09-2007, 01:37 PM
I'm searching for the most comfortable saddle in the world to replace my stock saddle (Bontrager). I ride a road bike and my rides do not exceed 40 miles. I'm looking for something that does not make my soft tissue feel like it's burning :P I am searching for the comfiest thing that I can ride on and still maintain a good speed.

I'd love to hear about any recommendations you have :) Or ways you found the greatest saddle for you!

Thanks,

Ana :)

Zen
09-09-2007, 03:46 PM
Did you read both threads about saddles? You'll get fifty different answers.

The stock Bontragers are pieces of poo, at least the lower end ones are. I replaced mine with a Terry Falcon X. But unless your bum is just like mine it might not work for you.

KnottedYet
09-09-2007, 03:53 PM
Unfortunately good speed tends to be more about the legs than about the saddle... darn!

What's your sitbone measurement?
Do you like long nose or short?
Pear-shaped top or "T" shaped?
Lots of padding, or no padding?
Narrow nose or wide nose?
Cut-out?
Classic look or racy?

Chances are if you set out the call with your specifics, you'll get several good recommendations. :D

Ana
09-09-2007, 05:47 PM
Yes, I've read some of the threads but I it's difficult to filter the information properly because everyone says different things ;)

How do you take your sit bone measurement? :)

I don't care about the way it looks and I think I'd like a cut out. Other than that, I'm not sure because I've only been riding on my stock saddle :p I have a pretty small posterior too so maybe a T-shape?

Thanks!

Veronica
09-09-2007, 06:02 PM
Yes, I've read some of the threads but I it's difficult to filter the information properly because everyone says different things ;)

That's 'cause everyone's butt is different! :p :p

V.

Starfish
09-09-2007, 06:06 PM
If you do a search on Sit Bone Measurement, you'll get quite a number of threads. Here is one that has several ways that TE women have done it. I find it easiest to go to a Specialized dealer and use their little sit-pad.

http://forums.teamestrogen.com/showthread.php?t=17748&highlight=Bone+Measurement

skyhand
09-11-2007, 08:37 AM
oh but it's much more fun to roll onto my back with my legs up and arms wrapped around to my butt while handling measuring tape and squishing my tush to find my sitbones while negotiating the measuring tape to their outer edges and all the while attempting to crane my head to see if i'm doing it right and fortunately being oblivious to the wildly entertaining antics i'm providing to anyone in the room with me. (run on sentences are fun too) :p

Happy_Wheels!
09-11-2007, 01:41 PM
Dear Ana!

There's no such thing as the Most Comfortable Saddle in the World!

Everyone is different!

Vive le difference!

You must search to find saddle greatness, but you will find it!

Luv,
Happy_Wheels!

Ana
09-12-2007, 07:32 AM
Thank you for all your help :) I'll let you know when I find something great :)

mimitabby
09-12-2007, 07:41 AM
hey Ana, one more little comment. I haven't heard yet of one person who LIKED their Bontrager saddle!

Trekhawk
09-12-2007, 11:21 AM
hey Ana, one more little comment. I haven't heard yet of one person who LIKED their Bontrager saddle!

LOL - yep hated mine and guess what?? I have sold all my saddles that I had listed here at TE except....you guessed it the BONTRAGER.:D
Guess I will be stuck with that one.

PinkPilot
09-12-2007, 03:52 PM
At what point should I start hating mine??? Is it not uncomfortable yet because the longest nonstop ride I have done so far is only 27 miles and it doesn't really start bothering people until 40+ miles? I'm curious why everyone hates the Bontrager saddles and at what point they realize that.:confused:

mimitabby
09-12-2007, 04:22 PM
hey Pink
if it isn't bothering you, don't worry about it. There is an exception to every rule!

PinkPilot
09-12-2007, 04:32 PM
I was just curious about how quickly people knew Bontrager was the wrong saddle since I don't have a point of reference or that much time in the saddle yet. Since they are so overwhelmingly rejected, I wondered if people knew right away.

emily_in_nc
09-12-2007, 05:34 PM
I was just curious about how quickly people knew Bontrager was the wrong saddle since I don't have a point of reference or that much time in the saddle yet. Since they are so overwhelmingly rejected, I wondered if people knew right away.

I test rode a lovely Trek 5200 WSD several years ago and within 5 miles was begging for mercy from the Bontrager saddle. This was when I was used to riding a Terry Butterfly saddle on a Terry Isis bike and had done several centuries without so much irritation as five miles on that Bontrager! :D

Just one gal's experience....

Emily

Trekhawk
09-12-2007, 07:09 PM
After a few shorts rides on that saddle I knew that it had to go or I would never stick with riding. It gave me lots of soft tissue pain but if it works for you then that is good. Dont change your saddle if you have no problems with it. :)

coyote
09-13-2007, 09:09 AM
Wouldn't you know it...I have a Bontrager. I haven't been able to get comfortable on it. Then I shortened my stem and that dropped my handle bars and oh boy there was a whole new world of hurt. I'm getting a riser so the seat and bars will be level with each other. But after seeing this thread, I'm expecting I will be replacing the saddle too. I am not looking forward to the persuit of the perfect saddle :eek:

KnottedYet
09-13-2007, 07:38 PM
<Knot whispers quietly>

.....always start by measuring your sit bones.....