PDA

View Full Version : Isn't it Ironic?

7rider
09-06-2007, 05:38 PM
...wasn't that a song?

Anywho..
I've gotten about 4 or 5 flats this season on my commuter. And I'm tired of it! All on the rear wheel (of course!) and all because of crap on the last 3/4 mile stretch of my commute that I must ride on a sidewalk alongside a crowded 3 lane road (where there is a 45 mph limit, but cars regularly do 60 and there's no shoulder). Strangely, MD state bike maps call this road a "bike route"! I guess it's that sidewalk...but it's littered with sand, rocks, weeds, and glass.

So, I call my bud, Pepper, at the LBS. I ask for options. He recommended Bontrager Hardcases (http://www.bontrager.com/Road/Wheelworks/Tires/5731.php) over the Conti Ultra Gatorskins (http://www.biketiresdirect.com/productdetail.asp?p=COC3P)I'm running now. So, I figure, "Okay." It's been a few weeks since I've spent too much money at the shop, so I'll give it a shot. We need more half-used up tires in the house, after all!

So, I head to the LBS after work. They install the new tires on my bike and off I ride, ready to do battle. I get to the spot, and wouldn't you know it? The county cleaned up the sidewalks!!! :eek: All year, I've been skidding through last winter's piles of sand on the road and assorted stuff on the sidewalk! Now, they're swept clean!!!

Arrrrrrghhh!! They must've known!

Dianyla
09-06-2007, 06:01 PM
I'm sure all the local bikers who use that path can give you a big "Thanks!" for inducing the cleanup with your purchase. :D

Zen
09-06-2007, 06:38 PM
All year, I've been skidding through last winter's piles of sand on the road and assorted stuff on the sidewalk! Now, they're swept clean!!!

They have to get the sidewalks ready for this winters piles of stuff :rolleyes:

pinkychique
11-04-2007, 06:25 AM
It always seems to go like this:
As soon as you clean your car it rains;
as soon as you buy a new thingy to replace the thingy that you lost, you find it;
and as soon as you buy new super tough tires, they clean up the roads :rolleyes:

gotta love it

caribou
11-04-2007, 07:30 AM
And just think, if the new tires are heavier than the old, you're getting a better workout now. Whoopie!