PDA

View Full Version : How do I sit on my sit bones????

ghoundz
09-04-2007, 06:51 AM
Last year I switched to a Specialized Jett saddle which has completely eliminated any chafing issues. I still, however, have swelling issues and that bruised feeling and I think the reason is I sit too much on my pelvic bones and not my sit bones.
What needs to change to correct this? Higher handlebars so I'm not rocked forward/down? Tilting the saddle? Moving the saddle forward or backwards?

(My typical rides are 30-50 miles at 18+ mph)

Thanks!

sundial
09-04-2007, 11:57 AM
Ghoundz, try tilting your saddle nose up just a wee bit. That should help you to sit back on the saddle more. You might want to consider rotating the handlebar so that the hoods are closer to you or to consider a different stem that brings the handlebars up just a tad.

Kalidurga
09-04-2007, 12:45 PM
I had that problem with a handful of saddles. I used to try raising the nose of my saddle, but it only made things worse. I finally got fed up with it and went for a real, honest-to-goodness fitting. The fitter and I determined that raising my bar with a steerer tube extender totally took care of the problem. It helped to re-balance my weight between the bars, saddle, and pedals. Now, even when I lean down in the drops, I'm perched on my sitbones and there's not as much weight balanced on the pubic area.

I don't know if that's the solution for you. A professional fitting might be the best way to find out exactly what you need, if you're able to have one.

Nokomis
09-04-2007, 02:47 PM
1. Find flat, hard surface (pavement..)
2. Sit & Wait ;)

Get to know what the sit bones feel like on a hard surface - then get back on your saddle. Can you find your sitbones on the saddle now? Roll your pelvis back - see if they make contact w/ the saddle. A few of us have sit bones that are far wider than the majority of saddles on the market will support ~ when I rode a saddle that didn't fit (search Brooks for more detail) I had bruising pain & numbness in that region. Yowza.

If there's a shop in your area that carries Specialized, they may have a gel tool used to help measure your sit bone distance.. in case you want a more scientific approach.

I'll also second a professional bike fitting.

LBTC
09-05-2007, 05:24 AM
I agree with Nokomis and with the idea of a fitting.

I have one more thing to suggest, and maybe you're already doing this, but I know it took me a long time to figure this one out. It's important to keep the pelvis vertical and to bend at the waist, which means keeping your core muscles engaged. This was a tough one for me to figure out after years of yoga and stretching that had taught me to always bend forward at the hips. Once I started working to keep my pelvis upright, I found the weight shifted from the soft tissue in front to the sit bones, where it should be.

Best of luck!

Hugs and butterflies,
~T~

karen
09-05-2007, 06:24 AM
It's important to keep the pelvis vertical and to bend at the waist, which means keeping your core muscles engaged.

Does this mean arching the back out?

Nokomis
09-05-2007, 08:38 AM
Does this mean arching the back out?

No - you are attempting to keep your pelvis in the same position as when you're standing. So - instead of bending over at the hips (tipping your pelvis) you contract your abs as your upper body reaches over - keeping your pelvis neutral.

aicabsolut
09-05-2007, 09:52 AM
Could be your saddle is too narrow. My bike's stock saddle was too narrow at the sit bones so I couldn't really put enough of my weight on them. The result was more weight on the pubic bones. A wider saddle may support your sit bones better.

Or, try tilting the nose DOWN. Play with it and stop before you feel like you're having to hold yourself up with your hands. This works the best for me while maintaining a more aggressive position with the bars. Right now, my saddle is set pretty straight, but in the spring when I do criterium racing, I will lower the nose to make it more comfortable to spend a long time in the drops.