PDA

View Full Version : Sugoi RS shorts?

slinkedog
10-27-2004, 12:07 PM
Has anyone tried the top of the line Sugoi shorts? They look great, but they're pretty expensive, tho I did find them on another site for a lot less than the $109 here at TE and other places on the web.

Thanks for any help you can give!!

Veronica
10-27-2004, 04:59 PM
I love them. I have 4 pair.

V.

SadieKate
10-27-2004, 05:06 PM
I have friends who love them, but I found they fit differently than my PIs and Shebeest. The leg elastic was tighter, so if you have less than slender thighs you may want to try on a pair first.

I've found Susan at TE to be great at providing the weird fit factoids you need when you're trying to decide on a new brand of shorts. I tried Shebeest at her suggestion and have been very happy.

Veronica
10-27-2004, 05:56 PM
They do fit tighter, and I certainly don't have little thighs. For regular clothes I'm a size ten, but it has to be a relaxed fit over the thighs and the medium RS shorts fit me well.

I really like the chamois. It's where it is supposed to be. For me the PIs have too much chamois on the inside of the thigh. I had one horrendous Shebeest experience and have stayed away from them ever since.

Once I find a short I like, I tend to buy a bunch.

slinkedog, If you can, try them on at Bicycle Outfitter. I think they carry Sugoi. Last time I was there, about 18 months ago, you could return anything you didn't like, no questions asked. I got my first pair of Castelli shorts there (my previous fav) and then bought more here once I knew I liked them.

The RS I took a chance on after e mailing Susan and asking if she had tried them. :p

Good luck!

Veronica

snapdragen
10-27-2004, 07:48 PM
Did you get a pair with the famous knife-edge chamois? :eek:

Originally posted by Veronica
I had one horrendous Shebeest experience and have stayed away from them ever since.
Veronica

Veronica
10-27-2004, 08:06 PM
Yep! We had gone up to ride in Napa. About 5 miles into what was supposed to be a 40 mile ride I was hurting big time. We had the tandem so I couldn't even wiggle around much. We cut the ride short.

Had a nice lunch though.

Veronica

slinkedog
10-28-2004, 07:29 AM
Yeah, eating anywhere in Napa is such a chore. ;)

Thanks for the responses, Ladies! I will try Bicycle Outfitter. They're in Los Altos, right?

Knife-edged chamois? I think I gotta hear about this!

SadieKate
10-28-2004, 08:00 AM
Yeah, tell us about the knife-edged chamois. Was it with the new chamois, She-lastic or something like that? It is a blue thinner version to the molded chamois(s) of PI and Castelli. I bought all my pairs this summer for mountain biking so I may have a newer version. I don't like chamois that are just one thickness all over.

I like PIs thicker PRT chamois for road riding and love Castelli's for everything except I can't afford to wear them mtbiking. Shebeest's chamois is just right for technical mtb rides. Kind of expensive to run 2 sets of shorts but then my tush deserves it!

Veronica
10-28-2004, 08:09 AM
The SheBeest shorts I got had some sort of manufacturing defect in how the chamois was attached to the short. Apparently they sent out a whole bunch like that. TE gave me a credit which was very nice. :) This was like 2 years ago.

V.

snapdragen
10-28-2004, 04:47 PM
Yup, I had a pair of knickers with the famous chamois. I wore them during Foxy's a couple years ago. I'd stop about every 5 miles and shift things around. 60 miles of owwwwwwww! When I got back to my hotel, I had a chamois shaped cut on my....derriere. I actually had to run out to a drugstore for huge band-aids, because the cut was right where the leg openings of my underwear hit. So comfy!

I didn't buy mine through TE :eek: I contacted Shebeest, they replaced them for me.

Be brave V - the newer chamois is no longer fatal........

Veronica
10-28-2004, 05:09 PM
I don't know. I kind of have a thing about the name too. At first I thought it was cool - but now it kind of bugs me.

I don't think of myself as a beast I guess.
:p

Plus I don't think I need any more anything. I had to pull everything out of my biking drawer to find my knee warmers. I accidentally grabbed my arm warmers instead since they're both black Woolywarms. My legs are wayyyyy bigger than my arms!

V.

snapdragen
10-28-2004, 07:07 PM
Oh, I hear that! I'm considering moving up to a biking trunk to hold all the "stuff"! :D

Originally posted by Veronica
Plus I don't think I need any more anything. I had to pull everything out of my biking drawer to find my knee warmers.
V.