PDA

View Full Version : Amish ride in Arthur IL

lattae
09-03-2007, 05:48 PM
Is anyone doing the Bob Galloway Amish ride in Arthur IL in a couple weeks? Several of us did it the past couple years and really enjoyed it. The longer route is approx. 65 miles and it takes you thru the Amish community. It seems like they have a good turn out each year we have attended.

Trekn Teresa
01-17-2008, 08:44 AM
I see that your post is from Sept. 3, 07

However, I would like to try it this year. I am interested in doing this.
Are you going to ride it this year?

~ Trekn Teresa ~

Pax
01-17-2008, 11:39 AM
I've ridden it a couple of times and will plan on it again for this year. Fun ride with lots of yummy home made food afterwards!

lattae
01-17-2008, 05:21 PM
I have done this ride for the past 3 years. Last year was the first time that I went to the lunch afterwards at the Mennonite school. The food was delicious, plenty of it and good desserts. We usually go up there and stay in Arcola the night before. Alot of folks camp at the school. It's such an enjoyable weekend for my friends and I, we visit the Amish stores afterwards also....we've had good weather every year so far for the ride. It was a bit chilly starting out last year but ended up being a pleasant day for riding.

Trekn Teresa
01-18-2008, 05:03 AM
lattae, and Queen,

Where are you gals from? If you don't mind me asking?
I am from northern Illinois. It sure would be cool to
meet up at least to say hello or something, when doing this ride.

Also if you gals are up for doing a century with a few hills the next weekend, in northern Illinois, please let me know. There is also a thread for the Northwest Illinois Century, Sept. 20th, 2008. No admission fee, no fundraiser...just a bunch of us getting together to ride...for the fun, and challenge!

Happy riding,
~ Trekn Teresa ~

lattae
01-18-2008, 07:28 AM
I'm from southern area of the state, just outside St Louis region. I'm hoping I can do the ride this year but unsure at this time. My husband requested vacation and he wants to visit the Grand Canyon at this time of the year. But we'll see what happens. We had a nice group of us a couple years ago that did this ride and had a good time. Last year I did the ride alone(none of my riding buddies went along) but met several nice folks along the way. It was just a nice relaxing weekend away from the 3 teens in the house :) I ended up doing the extra long route and added the short route also to get in around 80 something miles.

Pax
01-18-2008, 08:35 AM
I'm in Urbana so the Amish ride is just down the road from me. :)

I haven't done any Centuries (way too many knee surgeries) but if I manage to get in some longer rides over the summer I'd be interested in coming up and giving that ride a whirl.

lattae
01-20-2008, 09:20 AM
Does anyone know the exact date of the ride this year? I really want to do it but want to try and reschedule time off for OOT vacation at a different time. Didn't know if it will be the 2nd or 3rd Saturday in Sept. Thanks

Pax
01-20-2008, 10:46 AM
Does anyone know the exact date of the ride this year? I really want to do it but want to try and reschedule time off for OOT vacation at a different time. Didn't know if it will be the 2nd or 3rd Saturday in Sept. Thanks

The website says September 13th for '08. http://www.decaturbicycleclub.org/arthur.html

lattae
01-20-2008, 11:05 AM
Queen, thank you for the info. I didn't realize their site had the date already available.

Trekn Teresa
01-21-2008, 08:59 AM
So you both are definately going to try to make it for this ride?
Are you going to be riding with a group or just yourselves?

I plan on doing this ride...will keep you informed
as we get closer to the ride date. This should be fun.

Happy riding,
~Trekn Teresa ~

Pax
08-21-2008, 11:32 AM
Bumpin' this one to the top. Any TE'ers still planning on going?

jillm
08-21-2008, 11:52 AM
I'm glad you bumped it! Didn't know it existed and it's something I might be able to do.

(btw, Pax, I think you know my friend Sue from Champaign Surplus)

jill

Pax
08-21-2008, 11:58 AM
I'm glad you bumped it! Didn't know it existed and it's something I might be able to do.

(btw, Pax, I think you know my friend Sue from Champaign Surplus)

jill
I sure do! Sue is a hoot!

Are you going to try to make the ride?

jillm
08-21-2008, 12:03 PM
I think so. Group rides make me nervous but it sounds like a lot of fun. (plus there's that Mennonite meal...mmmm) I'll let you know either way! How about you?

Pax
08-21-2008, 12:07 PM
I think so. Group rides make me nervous but it sounds like a lot of fun. (plus there's that Mennonite meal...mmmm) I'll let you know either way! How about you?
We're planning on it, but I think we'll skip it if it rains. We don't really ride in a group since everyone rides at a different pace, we usually just try to meet up at the snack stop in Rockhome Gardens and say hello while we chow down on the cookies!

BTW - the ride is nicknamed the "Tour de Manure" for all the Amish horse 'leavings" on the roadway. :D

lattae
08-22-2008, 06:36 AM
Does anyone know what the route will be this year? Just wondered if they'll go by the Rockhome Gardens. I enjoyed the route for the most part better last year than the previous one when it went out by the lake.

Pax
08-22-2008, 08:17 AM
Does anyone know what the route will be this year? Just wondered if they'll go by the Rockhome Gardens. I enjoyed the route for the most part better last year than the previous one when it went out by the lake.

I checked the site and it doesn't say, I hope it goes to Rockhome again, that was a really nice place to take a rest and eat cookies.

lattae
09-13-2008, 12:24 PM
Did anyone do the tour de manure in Arthur today? We started early in fear of rain moving in. The wind was brutal with strong head winds. We were wanting to do the 60 mile route but decided to cut it short to 40 mile. Ended up being a very warm and humid day. We went to the Mennonite school afterwards for the lunch which was delicious. Just a very nice weekend in Amish country.