PDA

View Full Version : Are you ready

Zen
09-03-2007, 09:25 AM
for the CWC?

Not sure if I am or not. I cramped up at 30 miles yesterday. I was drinking gatorade but if you see a woman with her U.S.Army jersey pockets stuffed full of bananas next weekend that will be me :eek:

7rider
09-03-2007, 10:33 AM
Heck no.

I was out of commission for nearly a full week with a doozy of a head cold. Had me down for the count, and I'm only now beginning to feel normal again.
My big holiday weekend of training has turned into a mope around the house and sip orange juice and Thera-Flu all weekend. :( :mad:

So, I don't think the full century in is the cards for me.
I'm holding out hope that I can pull off a metric, and would love company if anyone wants to try for that additional mileage. My own DH will be doing the full with the N2-crew. Look for me in a pink Bicycle Place jersey and probably looking grumpy.

Starfish
09-03-2007, 10:34 AM
Zen, have you ever tried some sort of electrolyte tablets? I used to use sports drink (gatorade or accelerade), and I still got cramps in my toes (and sometimes my calves).

Ever since I switched to water with Nunn tablets, no more cramps. Really made the difference for me. Now I use water with Nunn, and I eat my calories.

Starfish
09-03-2007, 10:36 AM
and probably looking grumpy.

At least you won't look like a Bunny's Butt! :p Your comment on the Avatar thread cracked me up.

Velobambina
09-03-2007, 11:02 AM
I plan on doing the metric, granted the weather is ok (rain will be a no go for me). I'll look for you, Regina. Most likely, I'll be riding one of my pink Lunas and wearing either my AV or pink VeloGirls jersey.

Zen
09-03-2007, 07:00 PM
Zen, have you ever tried some sort of electrolyte tablets? .

I can't afford such luxuries. Bananas are fairly cheap, tho. My strategy for now is no diuretics the day before or the morning of the event. I'll take my drugs when I finish.
All I can do is experiment and see how it goes.

As Thomas Edison said, "I have not failed. I have just found 10,000 ways that do not work".

Or as the great Homer Simpson said, "Trying is the first step towards failure".

Wahine
09-03-2007, 09:39 PM
Zen - I like to use boiled baby potatoes with sea salt sprinkled on them. The potatoes have a lot of potassium and salt is.......well, salt. That might help.

Starfish
09-04-2007, 05:49 AM
Zen - I like to use boiled baby potatoes with sea salt sprinkled on them. The potatoes have a lot of potassium and salt is.......well, salt. That might help.

A great idea.

Zen
09-04-2007, 09:10 AM
Wow. Thanks Wahine, that sounds tasty. I want some right now :D

7rider
09-05-2007, 06:19 PM
I plan on doing the metric, granted the weather is ok (rain will be a no go for me). I'll look for you, Regina. Most likely, I'll be riding one of my pink Lunas and wearing either my AV or pink VeloGirls jersey.

Not on your new Seven???

Does anyone know if or how the roads are marked for various routes on the CWC? I'm very bad at using cue sheets (as MDHS can attest! :rolleyes: ) and tend to prefer to follow the crowd or marks on the road.....

Zen
09-05-2007, 08:22 PM
I know there are some markings from the Cat Challenge on those roads. With such a big turnout it's likely they'll be marked.
Also with such a big turnout and with your speed you probably won't be riding alone.

Velobambina
09-06-2007, 12:02 AM
R---Probably won't ride the Seven. My 'cross bike's disk brakes are messed up, so I'll likely ride my Luna Eclipse, despite having some minor issues w/the back derailleur.

HillSlugger
09-06-2007, 05:08 AM
Not on your new Seven???

Does anyone know if or how the roads are marked for various routes on the CWC? I'm very bad at using cue sheets (as MDHS can attest! :rolleyes: ) and tend to prefer to follow the crowd or marks on the road.....

I did the 25 miler last year and lost my cue sheet on the first big downhill (blew away in the breeze). I relied on the road markings for the rest of the ride. There were several stretches where I was all by myself and worried that I had missed a turn, but eventually the next marker would show up.

7rider
09-06-2007, 05:58 PM
What time are you guys showing up for the CWC??

DH says the LBS guys want to shove off at 8 a.m.
We need to register. We thought online registration closed today, but it was yesterday afternoon (I really think they changed it on us!). So, I guess we'll be in the registration line at 7:30.

divingbiker
09-06-2007, 06:22 PM
What time are you guys showing up for the CWC??

DH says the LBS guys want to shove off at 8 a.m.
We need to register. We thought online registration closed today, but it was yesterday afternoon (I really think they changed it on us!). So, I guess we'll be in the registration line at 7:30.

On their web site, they say the traffic will be the worst from 7-8:30, so if you're doing the metric or shorter, they suggest you show up after 8:30. But I'm an early bird, so I'll probably be there around 7:30 or so. You'll probably finish the metric faster than I'll do the 50, so maybe we'll see each other afterward.

Zen, are you still planning to do 50 miles? What time are you going to start?

Zen
09-06-2007, 06:43 PM
I'll be there at eight (yawn). I don't live that far away.

I want to be finished before it gets hot out and I'm gonna take lots of breaks.
I rode ten miles at two o'clock today and I was sweating sheets in that short of time.

divingbiker
09-07-2007, 01:55 AM
I'll be there at eight (yawn). I don't live that far away.

I want to be finished before it gets hot out and I'm gonna take lots of breaks.
I rode ten miles at two o'clock today and I was sweating sheets in that short of time.

OK, I'll be on the lookout for you.

Zen
09-08-2007, 05:33 PM
I was there, were you guys?

I looked for pink jerseys and to my amazement and consternation didn't see any.
I did see a Seven and stood beside it but it's owner never came around.

The food was good but lordy it was hot.
See what happened to me here (http://forums.teamestrogen.com/showthread.php?p=242732&posted=1#post242732)

7rider
09-08-2007, 05:48 PM
I was there.
I saw a BUNCH of Sevens. It was amazing. Lots of amazing bike flesh there today.
See my ride report in the Sept. 8 thread in the cycling discussion forum.
We left promptly at 8 a.m., as is the N2 way. There were about 20 red and pink Bike Place jerseys at the start - we massed at the porch of the white building next to the registration tent.
I did see DivingBiker, and we chatted a bit. Janice - how did the 50 go??

divingbiker
09-08-2007, 05:55 PM
I was there, were you guys?

Wow, too bad about the flat tire. Hope you find one that will work.

I was there. I saw Regina at the start. We both got on the road at 8. I looked around for you, Zen, but didn't see you.

I finished the 50 mile ride about 12:45, I think. I figured that you were still out on the road and I didn't see any Bicycle Place jerseys so I didn't think Regina was done yet. I was so stinkin' hot I just went to my car and drove home. I had to pull over on the highway because there was so much sweat dripping into my eyes they were burning like he!! and I couldn't keep them open.

I had a Mike's hard lemonade and mowed the lawn, and took the best shower ever. I'm ready for cool weather.

Zen
09-08-2007, 06:00 PM
After seeing where I had to park and considering how hot it was I did learn something about next years ride. Be there about 6:30 no matter what their e-mail says:mad: :o :eek:

Starfish
09-08-2007, 06:48 PM
Hey, I'm sorry it all turned out for you this way with the tire troubles and all!

HillSlugger
09-08-2007, 07:03 PM
Great job Regina and Janice! :D

Zen, sorry you had troubles and didn't ride :(

I had every intension of doing the 50, until me knee problem started. Pretty much the only thing I'm riding now is the couch :mad:

7rider
09-09-2007, 05:34 AM
After seeing where I had to park and considering how hot it was I did learn something about next years ride. Be there about 6:30 no matter what their e-mail says:mad: :o :eek:

Yeah. Bummer about the tire issue. I hope it's the TIRE and not the wheel.
Regardless, we'll see you next year, and we'll do a "sunny and 70" dance before the ride! And, of course, we'll try to get in some TE rides well before then, too.

Since DH got in a full 1.5 hours before me, I had the chance to call him from the last rest stop and have him move the truck closer to the tents! :p I was not up for walking over that terrain after riding that route! Of course, by then, he had 2 ice creams and a massage and was looking pretty relaxed. He was standing by the roadside at the finish, yelling "Allez! Allez, Bicycle Place!" as we rode in (there was much talk of "the red train" of Bike Place jerseys on the ride - the leaders setting a brutal pace for others who tried to hang). My mini-train at the end was just 3 stragglers, 2 in pink, 1 in red, so you could probably say we stuck to our color, and were a more faded version of the red!

Zen
09-09-2007, 08:24 AM
I had every intension of doing the 50, until me knee problem started. Pretty much the only thing I'm riding now is the couch :mad:
I need to get a couch.

Starfish
09-09-2007, 08:31 AM
I need to get a couch.

No, no, you let one of these sirens into your life, it's all over. Couch, get thee behind me!

Zen
09-09-2007, 10:00 AM
dammit.
I just got this email:

Yesterday at our bicycle event, a rider was seriously injured when he
was struck by the side view mirror of a pick-up truck. We have been
requested by the Pennsylvania State Police to contact Trooper Michael
Fortley if you witnessed the accident or moved the bicycle off the road.
The rider is in critical condition at York Count Hospital. The driver
stopped at the scene and was shaken up by the accident. The phone number
for the dispatcher to provide information regarding the accident is
717-334-8111.
Thank-you for any assistance you can to Trooper Fortley.
Howard Rosenbaum
CWC07 Event Director

The other day while I was riding I took notice of how people drove. Big loud redneck pickup trucks are the worst and there are plenty around here.

7rider
09-10-2007, 03:08 AM
DH said his group came across that accident. They didn't see it, just saw the action in the road after the fact. They said the guy had to be air-lifted out and it got around somehow that he was from Kentucky and had no ID on him. Geez, that sux. Please let me know if you get any update emails from BBC.
And, yeah...I noticed a lot of BIG farm pickups in that area.

7rider
09-10-2007, 01:40 PM
This was posted on the Bike Place's listserv...re: the bike crash
From the Gettysburg paper
http://www.eveningsun.com/localnews/ci_6851713
It's a little unclear who hit who.
Story is, that the truck slowed down when he saw the pack of cyclists, and the injured rider came up on the right side and got caught up in the mirror. It was a downhill section, and they were all moving pretty fast.
I just hope he's okay.