PDA

View Full Version : Initial thoughts on the Arkel Big Bar Bag

boy in a kilt
08-30-2007, 11:07 PM
I bought one of these recently

http://www.touringcyclist.com/img/g/16527a.gif

This isn't a full report, just initial impressions. The LW and I are taking a short bike tour this weekend so I'll have a little time to figure out ways to screw the thing up.

My first impressions.

This is a big handlebar bag. It's 10.5 inches wide. Thank god I have 48cm bars. It's tall too. In fact, you can fit at least 4 12 oz bottles of beer in there. I would've tried a six pack but I'd already drank the other two.

Lots of pockets. However, the two on the sides seem a little pointless.

Zip out water proof liner. I'm not sure how much I trust it.

The zipper bears mention. Double zipper pulls. For some reason, this isn't a very common feature of handlebar bags. And they have some degree of waterproofing.

The mounting is one of the more solid systems I've seen on a handlebar bag. Which means it's also a little harder to install.

One of the crucial things is the two support struts have to be straight and level with one another. Otherwise, it won't quite lock in right. I have Nitto Mod 177 handlebars which have a bit of inward curve on the bar tops. But, I managed.

The map case isn't attached which means I'm going to lose it. It's held on by the tension between the map cover and the top of the bag.

I'm going to have to get a riser thing so I can use my handlebar bag with a headlight. That became important to me when my train into Klamath Falls was delayed several hours and I had to find my campground at 2 a.m.

More on this later.