PDA

View Full Version : Frame pumps

Dogmama
10-24-2004, 06:04 PM
OK, it's time to ditch my oh-so-cute but useless little mini pump. It's a blackburn & I'm luck to get 80 pounds in. Is there a frame pump that can deliver 120 pounds? I have good upper body strength so it isn't a matter of not being able to push that sucker.

Anybody use CO2 cartridges? I saw somebody blow a tire off a rim one time, but maybe he screwed up (duh, ya think?) rather than the cartridge being too powerful.

I had a flat today & had to gingerly ride home after getting ~ 80 pounds in and worrying about pinch flats. I want to be able to keep riding. Whaaa! :mad:

Veronica
10-24-2004, 06:42 PM
I use the CO 2 cartridges and haven't had any problems. I've only had one flat on the road where I used one, but when I first switched out my tires I used the cartridges rather than the floor pump for practice.

V.

PS I don't inflate my tires often enough and when I do, usually discover that I've been riding on 40 or 50 psi. :p

syklnsoph
10-25-2004, 07:15 AM
i (and the mr.) use the CO2 cart. work great. we couldn't get our tires pumped up high enough either, and went to the cartridges. finish long rides and when we get home, just check the tire pressure then. 'course we have an air compressor at home which helps. but to answer the question, ditch the pump and go with CO2.
soph

caligurl
10-25-2004, 07:20 AM
hubby and i both use co2 pumps on our bikes!

aka_kim
10-25-2004, 08:18 AM
If you do stick with a frame pump, the Topeak Mountain Morph works very well. It has a gauge, an extending hose, and a small foot rest (well, whatever that thing you stand on is called). I have less-than-optimal upper body strength but can still pump my tires to 100 psi quickly and easily. There's also a road bike version of this pump, which is slightly larger and provides higher psi. I use the mountain version because it was easier to find space to mount, and I don't pump my tires over 100 psi.

But, the more I hear about CO2, the better and easier it sounds.

pedalfaster
10-25-2004, 02:40 PM
Another vote for the Morph, if you want a pump that can get your tires to 100psi.

CO2 is great for fast rides and races and can also be a real life-saver when late for work or for a woman riding alone who just needs to get rolling quickly.

The downsides?

They can be expensive ( although the non-threaded canisters can be bought more cheaply in bulk at your local big-box discount store).

They are wasteful (anyone know of anyplace that recycles those suckers?).

And the big downside: you still *should* carry a pump. Yes I've been on rides where the two or three cartriges were not enough. There are a couple of CO2 devices that also function (barely!) as a mini-pump in a pinch.

Dogmama
10-26-2004, 03:48 AM
Pedalfaster wrote: "And the big downside: you still *should* carry a pump. Yes I've been on rides where the two or three cartriges were not enough. There are a couple of CO2 devices that also function (barely!) as a mini-pump in a pinch."

Good point. Glad I'm not a weight wienie!

There are different sizes of CO2 cartridges. What is the size for a road bike?

maryellen
10-26-2004, 05:25 AM
I use a Road Morph and love it (though I only have to pump my tires to 100).

spazzdog
10-26-2004, 05:55 AM
I had a Road Morph for my old TREK1000. I loved it. I don't use it anymore because I can't get the PSI I need on my new bike (grown weaker over my yrs of inactivity).

pedalfaster
10-26-2004, 06:18 AM
Originally posted by Dogmama
There are different sizes of CO2 cartridges. What is the size for a road bike?

Many people carry the 12 gram unthreaded. These are usually the cheapest cartridges you can buy.

I prefer the 16 gram threaded. I carry just the nozzle-type CO2 device. I use this size for both the road and mtb.

The CO2 device package will have inflation guidelines on the back (i.e. # of cartidges needed to get to X psi).

KTeach
10-31-2004, 05:01 PM
Another vote for Road morph & Mountain morph pumps. Both are relatively powerful pumps.

echidna
11-02-2004, 08:55 AM
Zefal HpX's can reliably deliver 90+ psi.
CO2 cartridges work great. If someone blows it off the rim, either they've got the wrong size cartridge, or they may have pinched the tube when they put the tire back on.
A 12 gram CO2 cartridge is plenty. What I do is to use the frame pump to get things started, double-check to see that everything is seated well at about 15-20 pounds, and then finish it off with the gas. That way you let the cartridge do the hard work, and you get to be certain that everything is okay before you give it the big push.
This time of year a CO2 system can literally be ride-saving. If you have to stop toooo long for a flat change you can get awfully cold if you've been riding hard.

JanT
11-02-2004, 05:41 PM
I do the same as echidna. You can get a box of CO2 cartridges at Walmart that amounts to about $.50 a cartridge, so make sure you get an inflator that takes the unthreaded cartridges. Also, my next pump will be a Topeak Morph, as one time when I had a problematic change on my mountain bike, a passing biker pumped my tire in nothing flat with a mtn. morph he carried in his Camelbak. It was lightweight, unfolded to work like a floor pump, and was very efficient. However, I live in the Phoenix area, and using any pump in the summer sun is nasty, so I always carry several cartridges of CO2 in the saddlebag.

Dogmama
11-27-2004, 12:51 PM
Well, I bought the Topeak Morph and when I went to install it-the little plastic gizmo that holds the pump in the bracket broke off! I called Cambria (where I ordered it) and the guy was really irritated: "You mean, you broke it and now you want us to give you back your money?" No, knuckle head....Anyway, he said they'll refund my money. We'll see.

But, just a word of warning - if you have a small bike (like me) this is a big pump width-wise. I could not have installed it because my bike bag is one of those triangle wedge things that fits between the seat down tube & the top tube. I cannot put two water bottles on the bike because I don't have enough room, so behind the seat is a double water bottle holder (imperative in the desert.) Thus, my bike bag goes between the two tubes.

Anyway, I'm back to CO2 cartridges shopping...

syklnsoph
11-27-2004, 03:37 PM
ok girrls,
i know how i am and i've seen some other women on bikes. i am always wanting to bring another snak, trying to find a way to get another h20 bottle on the bike, (same problem as dogmama), would like to take my cd/mp3 player on those longer rides, lipgloss, chamois buttr, id, some $$, cellphone, maps, CO2 cartridge, and the inflator, blah, blah, blah. the list goes on. it ended up being better to have a hydration pack with extra storage. but i have gotten better too! i did find the coolest thing at Wally World (walmart). for $10. it is a pack that velcroes to the handlebars. it is small, maybe 8x8x3", it unfolds and has small compartments for most of the above, including cd player, and a fold down flap with clear plastic to show ur maps. it looks somewhat compact on the front and is pretty efficient. also, is has a belt that you can then put around yourself, like a booty bag if you need to go moble. when not in use, it neatly tucks inside.
just ideas for those Christmas presents.
soph

gilly
01-08-2005, 11:00 AM
I have finally ditched my oh so useles mini pump that came with my Giant OCR2
I went to purchase the Topeak today, but couldn't find the one you girls recommend, then I saw this http://www.cyclaire.com/
I've ordered it today, so I'll let you know when it comes how I go on. It 'looks' easy :-) In the meantime, has anyone else tried this?

MomOnBike
01-08-2005, 05:45 PM
I have a nice new cyclaire sitting in my dining room (next to Mother-in-Law's fine china, thank you). The pump came the same day that Jack Frost laid down 1/4 inch of ice on the middle of the country. I probably can't even get out to the shed to look at my bike, much less try out a new toy. (Humph)

That said, the pump is pretty darn cool. I just messed around with it in the dining room, and was impressed with the workmanship and design. I like the small holder on the pump for patches and the little extra pocket on the case for tire irons (or whatever other people call those things you get tires off tubes with...). All that, and it doesn't weigh a ton and is easier on my wrists/arms/tire valves that ordinary pumps.

I fear the guage will be a bit small and far away for my near-sighted eyes, but I'll cope.

Now all I have to do is find out if it will inflate tires and my quality check will be complete. That, however, will have to wait until the ice and snow melt (did I mention the snow storm after the ice storm?).

Waiting for dry roads, never mind spring....

CorsairMac
01-10-2005, 06:53 AM
Mom: Any problems with ordering it from the UK? I'm very intrigued by it and would be Very interested as something to carry on my commuter bike!

MomOnBike
01-10-2005, 12:56 PM
No, not really. Even though I ordered right about Christmas, It took less than 2 weeks to get here. Credit cards and the internet can do some wonderous things together.

I fear though, that they charged me VAT tax. I don't think I have to pay that, but since I'm hiding the invoice from my husband (and myself) I think I'll just let it go.

You might be more anal about that, however, so keep an eye on that.

I still haven't been able to get to the bikes to try the thing. Ice on everything outside, and more snow predicted tonight. Bleh.

Waiting for spring...

slinkedog
01-12-2005, 09:10 AM
Was just wondering how it works. Looks like a cool invention!!

mtbnodak
01-12-2005, 12:04 PM
CO2... we sell tons in our shop. They are fast and easy. They are also reasonably priced.

Surlygirl
01-12-2005, 12:11 PM
You can get a small handlebar pack that is 7" x 5.5" and has a detatchable map case and belt loop so you can take it with you off bike and a main zippered compartment at Adventure cycling. It comes in black and Mango. Its great for all that little stuff.
adventurecycling.org

gilly
01-12-2005, 12:28 PM
What an amazing piece of kit this is :D

I have always worried about cycling alone on my road bike because I couldn't get the tyres to 100psi for anything, all I got was exhausted!

The cyclaire arrived today (sent for on Saturday evening). In the instructions it has warnings about the vibration caused when using it, and boy is that warning warrented! Although the pump can (and it is suggested that) be used while you're standing upright and pulling from hip to shoulder height, I found the vibration went straight through my whole body, so for me, bending a little moved the vibration to the arm, which it is also suggested you change over frequently.
I got my tire from flat (let down on purpose!) to 100psi withing a couple of minutes.... easily.
It transfers easily from my road bike (presto valve) to my mountain bike (shraeder valve) and storage on both bikes is simple too.
All in all Ii'm very happy with my new toy.. although I still hope I don't need it too often ;)