PDA

View Full Version : Pavement Pounding - Week of August 27 to September 2

Grog
08-28-2007, 09:21 AM
I'm back at pounding pavement after a summer of abstinence. I have signed up for a 10K race in October and am waiting for the sign up to start for a February half-marathon. I'm also leading an introductory run for new residents of my college Sunday morning.

So I have to start running I guess!!

Went for just 15 minutes this morning to get the systems going. Went for my favourite hill and sprinted up to pass a commuter bike that was coming up - the cyclist passed me once on the flat part, but it felt good to be able to run fast uphill for a few minutes. :D

I'll run Thursday, too. Maybe 20 minutes.

Only now I need to find a new running partner. The friend I ran with last year has moved thousands of kilometers away. I remember when we started running together, last September, after a few running dates I told her: "Just so you know, we're following a plan for a half-marathon here." She had no intentions to do that at first, but she was a great sport and did it with me the whole time, including on awfully dark, cold and wet winter mornings. There's a whole bunch of new residents moving in this week, hopefully there will be one or two girls who run...

Starfish
08-28-2007, 09:36 AM
Grog, I hope I will be joining the ranks of the runners this fall. I have some weight to lose before I will risk my knee, but last night I downloaded a program intended to take someone from Couch-To-5K slowly and sanely.

I haven't run since I injured my knee in college, but the triathlon bug is biting, so I want to give it a try over the winter.

Hope you find your running buddy!

Shiraz
08-28-2007, 01:41 PM
Thanks for starting the new thread Grog. Glad to hear you are running again. I actually love running in the winter. There is something about getting outside and being apart of the elements that gives me joy, b ut my favorite time to run is the fall. I love the crisp air, the smells of the fire places and running through the leaves and the colors of the trees.

I ran a short 4 mile tempo run this morning averaging 9:32 pace m/mile. I am trying not to kill myself this week and save it for my 1/2 mary saturday. I can still feel some fatigue in my legs from the half this past saturday.

You can do it Starfish!!!:D

Starfish
08-28-2007, 05:19 PM
You can do it Starfish!!!:D

Well, we'll see. I am not about to keep it up if it seems AT ALL like it could re-hurt my knee and jeopardize my cycling and other activities. But, I am hopeful!

Good luck on your run Saturday! :)

Shiraz
08-28-2007, 06:57 PM
I took almost a full year of running off to heal up after my foot surgery so I can totally understand. I biked and that kept from going insane. I hope it works for you.:D

kelownagirl
08-28-2007, 07:02 PM
Grog - enough about running, how was the wedding?!! How was the honeymoon??! How is the new Mr. Grog???! Wish I'd known you were in Penticton or I would have found you and said hi and returned your book.

Running - I am desperate to get back into running again. This week for sure. I promise. There, I have committed to it on the internet, that oughta work...

rocknrollgirl
08-29-2007, 04:22 AM
Intervals today:

warm-up- 6 mins
3 hill repeats
1 mile tempo run
3 hill repeats
1 mile tempo run

cool down

whew........

Kimmyt
08-29-2007, 04:42 AM
Did a short 2 miler yesterday, just to meet my hundred mile goal for the summer (whew, barely). I was on track to finish about a month early but then I hurt the ankle. It's feeling better now, though sometimes still gets cranky when i do things that emphasize precise foot placement and pointed toes. (despite that I'm actually climbing stronger than I was before the injury, go figure....)

So I committed to doing a half-marathon next spring, and promised myself two Olympic tris hehehe. This winter my running is going to have a bit of a focus to it, which will be a change.

alpinerabbit
08-29-2007, 08:51 AM
It's absolutely pouring here. I am not taking the tram to my running group and then back again to catch my death.
I'm also less than motivated to swim in my sneakers (i.e. run along the river on me own..).

ergo. no running in a week.

Alas...

the weather for the weekend looks worse by the hour and I am supposed to do the Stelvio again. NOT in rain. at 2700m that means snow.

HappyAnika
08-29-2007, 10:50 AM
I ran for about 28 minutes yesterday morning. Felt really good so upped the pace the last 10 minutes. It was 59 degrees to start, 60 to finish. :) Although it rained the night before, so it was humid as all hell, but the nice cool temp took the edge off the humidity. I find it really odd that we are now, in August, getting all the rain we should have had in April and May.

Starfish, I think you can do it. I didn't really "used to run", but I have had some serious knee problems. ACL reconstruction in '99, then another scope to remove more torn cartilage in '00. I flirted with running for several years, but could never stick to it due to my knee acting up. This time there have been a few things that have enabled me to stick with it: 1) I only run on dirt except for races, 2) I eased my way into it slowly, and 3) I'm trying to learn Chi Running, but mostly I have modified my form to avoid heel striking (Heel striking = very bad, wish someone had told me that sooner). As far as no. 2 goes, it was hard for me to limit my run time since I felt, cardio-wise, that I could do more. However I obeyed the 5% rule (increase 5% a week), and I have been running (mostly) pain free since March. Icing after running helped a lot too, I think. Good luck with it, keep us posted on your progress.

Grog, your wedding happened already!?!? Congratulations! :D

michelem
08-29-2007, 12:20 PM
Back to the gym last night for another date with the treadmill (it topped 100 degrees here yesterday, so, for now, I need to run indoors). Didn't do too well. I had gotten a sample gel and decided to try it. Downed the gel and a few gulps of water right before taking off. Launched into a 10 min. mile pace and started feeling nauseous from the get-go. Varied my pace between 6mph and 6.6 mph and percent grade between 0 and 3 and lasted about 5.75 miles. At that point I just couldn't keep going - I had horrendous side-stitches, I started passing gas, and still felt like I was going to puke! So, I ramped down the speed and grade and walked another 1/2 mile or so and called it quits for the night. Bleh. I HAVE to up my mileage and I'm getting worried. At least now I know that gels are not going to work for me. Unfortunately, I haven't figured out anything (even plain water) that works for me while running - the only thing that works is an empty stomach, but that isn't going to cut it once I get much over an hour . . . Any suggestions? :confused:

Jolt
08-29-2007, 02:58 PM
I was in NJ visiting my family for the past 3 days, and before I left today I went for a run with my younger sister on a MUP in town. I don't know what my problem was today, but that run was awful! After about a mile, I started feeling like I could toss my cookies (turns out my sister was feeling the same way, but neither of us wanted to admit it) and this continued for the rest of the almost 3 miles we did. I also had a heart rate of 200 when I checked it at one point; hers was 190. Maybe it was the heat and humidity, or maybe because I haven't run as much lately (mostly because of the aforementioned heat and humidity--can we please have fall weather soon???). The weird thing was that the path is pretty flat and my usual running routes are not. At least neither of us actually hurled!

Starfish
08-29-2007, 03:27 PM
but mostly I have modified my form to avoid heel striking (Heel striking = very bad, wish someone had told me that sooner).

Hey, thanks. I have a lot to learn. Probably before I start I need to (1) lose the excess weight, (2) get some great shoes from someone who can evaluate my stride/needs, (3) have a coach teach me how to run properly, even in a one-time session to get me off, well, on the right foot.

KSH
08-29-2007, 06:19 PM
I'm really starting to love 6 mile runs! I rocked another one tonight. Second one in the 6 days!

1h 12m
6.30 miles
11m 26s /mile

Speed work was scheduled for today. That meant I would have to get on a treadmill.

Well, it rained at the temperature dropped to 88 degrees and I wasn't passing that up.

Plus, I figured hill running was better for me at this point since the HIM will probably have a hilly run.

So, I went to Arbor Hills (aka: LOTS OF HILLS!) and ran. I did a good job, although my times don't reflect it so much.

1-2 miles- 23:20
2-4 miles- 24:00
4-6 miles- 25:00

I only walked a total of 2 minutes during this run. Even the big hills didn't beat me!

I took a total of 3 minutes of breaks between the 3 loops.

All and all a very good run for me!

tattiefritter
08-30-2007, 05:53 AM
Did 10.5 miles on the trails on Saturday with 1300ft of climbing then a hard 24 mile MTB ride on Sunday with 3500 ft of climbing and very tired legs (was also very rocky, very technical, lots of technical climbing too - absolutely great fun :D ) so rested Monday but legs not surprisingly were tired still on Tuesday. I totted up my running mileage and had done 57 miles for the month which is actually my second highest mileage month running ever :D - normally I'd be very chuffed and trying to make it my highest mileage month ever but I reminded myself I've just come back from an injury and had been building mileage a lot this month so I called an easy week and rested!

Did a short run today to push the mileage over 60 (still second highest though) so 3.7 miles at a reasonably frisky 8.10 mm, fun but not as good as the trails!

Starfish
08-30-2007, 07:45 AM
chuffed

Could you explain this word and how it is normally used? I keep seeing it on the boards!! :)

tattiefritter
08-30-2007, 07:54 AM
Probably best alternative would be pleased :D Pleased is a boring word in comparison, proud could also be substituted I suppose.

Example: I am really chuffed (pleased) at hitting 60 running miles this month!

or: I'm really chuffed with myself (proud of myself).

Actually thinking about it it is a daft sounding word but one in use all the time here in the UK so I take it for granted that everyone understands me even though this forum is international!

kelownagirl
08-30-2007, 08:15 AM
OK, so what's heel striking?

Starfish
08-30-2007, 08:22 AM
Actually thinking about it it is a daft sounding word but one in use all the time here in the UK so I take it for granted that everyone understands me even though this forum is international!

Thank you! I think I've heard that word from some of the Australians and Kiwis, too. I enjoy the international flavor of this board. I mean, now I can go use a new word on my nieces & nephews! :)

HappyAnika
08-30-2007, 11:14 AM
OK, so what's heel striking?

When your heel hits the ground first (first pic). Ideally you should land mid foot (second pic). These pictures sort of show what I'm talking about, but when running the shoe is flexed due to your foot, so the flat foot isn't quite that flat. Does that make sense? Basically when you hit your heel first, its like putting on the brakes with every step, transfers a lot of force into your knee joint. It's similar mechanics to running downhill, which is why running downhill can be really hard on your knees unless you lean forward.

Starfish
08-30-2007, 11:55 AM
Uh, oh...I think heel striking is exactly how I used to run. No wonder.

KSH
08-30-2007, 01:01 PM
Uh, oh...I think heel striking is exactly how I used to run. No wonder.

I think that is how everyone learns to run. Striking with your mid-foot I think is a relatively new running form that has become very popular.

If it weren't for going to a running coach for 6 months, I wouldn't have changed my form.

He basically had to retrain my body how to run and how to plant my foot down.

I know the book, Evolution Running, speaks to this kind of running form as well.

I will say though, when I run downhills I do a heel strike. It hurts my lower legs less.

kelownagirl
08-30-2007, 04:17 PM
I am just learning so maybe it's not to late to learn to do it properly. I'm not sure what I do. I'll try to notice next time I run.

runner2
08-30-2007, 05:56 PM
It's been hhhot this summer here in NC, havn't run much at all, but I have a half coming up in Nov., so it is time for me to get out there and load up some miles.
I did just 3 miles 5:00 this morning, and also glad that this thread still here.

:)

yellow
08-30-2007, 08:49 PM
No pavement pounding for me...only dirt shuffling. It's been a light week after a big week. We're going camping in the Winds (in Wyoming) this weekend and I hope to do a long run or two while we're there. I'll run here tomorrow am before we leave, though, probably a mid-range distance. It's still pretty warm here in the afternoons (96F today), so I'm still not feeling as good as I'd like...

I'm really looking forward to real fall weather!

limewave
08-31-2007, 07:17 AM
I got up REALLY early and did a 3 mile run. I've been slacking off this week. I'm going to try and get a good, long trail run in this weekend. And mountain bike, and kayak, and hike . . . How long is the holiday weekend?

michelem
08-31-2007, 08:02 AM
Last night's run was MUCH better. On the treadmill again as it topped out at 105 here yesterday - UGH - I really thought that by moving away from AZ I'd get away from that kind of heat. Ha!

Took the advice from this thread on intake: http://forums.teamestrogen.com/showthread.php?t=18378

Came home from work and approx. 5pm ate a bowl of brown rice farina with some blueberries and two omega-3 eggs mixed in. Drank about 48 oz. of water. Took a nap and woke up at 7pm and ate a banana. Left for the gym at 9pm. Ran at 6 mph - 6.6mph with a percent grade of 0 - 2.5 for approx. 85 minutes and then brought it down to 0% grade and went from 4.8 down to 3.0 mph over the course of another 10 min. or so. I started taking SMALL sips of water after about 45 min. and probably consumed a total of 8 oz. max during the course of my run. No gels, no gatorade-type drinks - just plain water. This is the best and longest run I have ever done. :p

Came home and ate dinner at about 11:30pm - 1 chicken breast, 1 cup (dry measurement) brown rice pasta, 1 onion, a bunch of spinach and about 1 cup (frozen measurement) mixed veggies (corn, peas, carrots, green beans), all sauteed in olive oil. Drank more water. Of course, I couldn't get to sleep 'til about 1:30am! :eek:

Lesson learned: Do not eat full dinner before running (I find that 4 hours prior is still too soon to eat more than something like cereal). Do not take in gels or gatorade-type drinks during runs of less than 2 hours. Take VERY small sips of water.

Thanks for the advice! :D

Kimmyt
08-31-2007, 09:32 AM
Got a bit of a run in today. Did 3 some miles during lunch, decided to try not running at the same pace (treadmill) the whole time, so I did the first mile at my usual 6mph pace and then upped it to 6.3 for the next mile, then back down to 6. Not much, but I felt okay.

The avg for the run actually ended up being even slower than if I had ran the whole thing at 6, due to me doing a slower pace for the last 3/10 mile, but what the hey, I just needed to get some miles in before my fun weekend of camping and climbing and drinking beers around a fire.

K.

michelem
08-31-2007, 09:53 AM
I did just 3 miles 5:00 this morning, and also glad that this thread still here.

:)

Do you mean 5 minute miles or 5 mph? I can't imagine even running one 5 minute mile! :eek:

runner2
08-31-2007, 01:42 PM
Do you mean 5 minute miles or 5 mph? I can't imagine even running one 5 minute mile! :eek:

Ha Ha, very funny...
Again, I ran 3 miles or so this morning at 5 am. No running tomorrow, having a group ride at 8 am.
Going to hit the trail on Sunday for a longer run.

Have a great holiday weekend everyone.

michelem
08-31-2007, 02:29 PM
Oh my gosh - 5am??? :eek:

I am so not a morning person. Last night I ran from 9:30pm to 11:00pm. It's all I can do to get up at 6:30am for work . . . Good for you on dedication to get out there that early in the AM. :)

teigyr
09-01-2007, 05:27 AM
I did a short run on friday, 8/31. I had SO much to do but I did my 2.5ish mile route...without stopping! I told myself that if I could do it without stopping, I would survive the tri I'm doing on 9/09. Since I held up my end of the bargain, I hope the fates oblige.

I also did the best time I've done ever (probably has to do with the not stopping) and was able to nod at people and say hi to them.

I then immediately jumped in the shower and went to work. Work involved sitting on a plane for 5 hours, overseeing things, then sitting on a plane for another 5 hours. My muscles feel strange :p

Grog
09-01-2007, 06:55 AM
Yeah! Did my second run, on Friday not Thursday, but did nonetheless, and longer than planned. A friend and mine took two new residents running. I was excited to go run in the park and we hit the hills... oops! not sure how they felt about that, but they made it back to the top in the end. Hitting the forest and then the beach in the morning is one of life's great pleasures for me...

Now on to the Sunday group run.

Glad to see so many of us getting some miles in!

KSH
09-01-2007, 10:08 AM
Completed my second 12-mile run this morning. It's the longest distance I have ever run... and I have done it twice now.

2h 35m
12.00 miles
12m 55s /mile

Got up at 5:15 AM, went to the lake to run. I started at 6:05 AM. So weird running in the dark. Not something I am use to.

Nutrition: Gel (not sure how much due to it being in a flask. I do not I didn't take enough in.)/ Water/ 4 Hammer Pills- Endurolytes

Overall a good run, although my time is so slow. I ran just about the entire way. Maybe I walked for a total of 7-8 minutes. Did not have to do a walk/run combo to keep going.

Although the last time I did this distance, I did it 6 minutes slower. Of course, this time I didn't take time away for stopping to retie my shoes or for stopping to refill on water.

Well, my feet HURT now. The right arch is tender to the touch. It wasn't an easy run that's for sure, but I did it!

Starfish
09-01-2007, 11:04 AM
KSH, that has to feel good, with your HIM coming up, having done it twice now. Not a fluke! ;)

Shiraz
09-03-2007, 10:31 AM
Well Ladies
Here is my update on my Pocatello half marathon. I did not have the time that I wanted but I did end up with first place in my age group 40-44:D My finish time was 2:09. I would have placed third but the two ladies ahead of me were sooo fast that one finished first in overall female and one was moved to first in overall female masters so I ended up with 1rst!! :D

My DH was so supportive. He took the day off of work (unheard of in the farming country) and drove me to the starting point and took pictures on the course.

The heat really hurt me and many others. We did not start until 8:30 and it was already 65 degrees. There was no shade at all on the course. Everybody was pouring water over themselves at the aid stations. It was in the 80's by the time we finished and hit a high of 95.

My friend Cindy placed 4th in the same age group as me and my friend Susan ran the full marathon and placed 4th in her age group. Both felt the heat hurt their time.

Here is a picture my DH took. I am in the pink. Thanks for letting me share with you. I went on a 34 mile recovery bike ride this AM with Susan and feel pretty good.

michelem
09-03-2007, 02:44 PM
Congrats Anita! :D

And thanks for sharing the photo. :)

Grog
09-03-2007, 03:16 PM
wow! great accomplishments this week! congrats KSH and Shiraz!

Starfish
09-03-2007, 03:23 PM
Shiraz, what a great picture. A very genuine smile! Most impressed with the finish, too!

crazycanuck
09-03-2007, 10:13 PM
I decided i'd go back to running with our group today. I'm going to see if i can do this every week for a while.

My legs felt alright, breathing & knee ok, bladder was fine. I'm still very slow but was happy to make it around the track! (track's 800m)

I think i ran 2km but didn't time myself.

Next week?

C

KSH
09-04-2007, 06:43 AM
Shiraz... WOW! That's awesome! 1st place! How cool! We have so many amazing ladies on this board.

Congratulations!

limewave
09-04-2007, 09:21 AM
Shiraz--Yay! That must have felt great to be up there on the podium :)

I decided if I really want to be a faster runner then I need to start doing the work. So, I'm going to start pace training. My goal is eventually to get to 8 minute miles. Right now I'm at 9:15's. My first goal is to get to 8:40. I plan to build for 3 weeks, 1 week recover, and build and so on. I'm going to do one pace run, 1 trail run, and 1 easy run a week.

Week 1
Tues. Pace Run (r=recovery, numbers=laps around track)
1@2:10--1/2r--2@4:20--1/2r--2@4:20--1/2r--2@4:20--1/2r--1@2:10
Weds. 60 minute trail run
Friday 10k

Week 2
Tues. Pace Run
1@2:10--1/2r--2@4:20--1/2r--3@6:30--1/2r--2@4:20--1/2r--1@2:10
Weds. 70 minute trail run
Friday 10k

Week 3
Tues. Pace Run
1@2:10--1/2r--2@4:20--1/2r--4@8:40--1/2r--2@4:20--1/2r--1@2:10
Weds. 75 minute trail run