PDA

View Full Version : Questions for the DC ladies?

Livin the Dream
08-27-2007, 07:21 PM
I'm going to be in DC on a business trip at the end of October. (I'm SO excited -- I absolutely LOVE DC!) I think I'll be able to build in an extra day before or after the conference I'm attending and I would love to rent a bike and ride the mall/monument area and maybe a bike path if time allows. A couple of questions: 1) Any recommendations of which bike rental place is best? (I'll be staying at the Grand Hyatt on H St. NW.) 2. Will the rental places still be open end of October? 3. I'm a small-town girl; most of my riding is on bike paths and rural roads. Am I crazy to consider riding in DC? 4. I think there are several bike paths, right? Which one would you recommend I try?

(Yeah, I know, I'm planning early -- mostly because I need to get my airline reservations made before the nonstop flights sell out but partly because I'm anal about planning travel stuff:p ).

Velobambina
08-28-2007, 12:04 AM
There's a monument tour that starts out of Union Station, if I'm not mistaken. They will rent you a bike and you go on a guided tour, so they make sure you stay safe. I think it's geared toward the tourist crowd, and I believe they do sessions at night, too, which would be a real treat.

Here are some helpful websites that are great info sites for cycling in the DC area:
www.waba.org
www.bikepptc.org
www.wodfriends.org

I hope you fly into Reagan instead of Dulles. The descent is just incredible. You also can probably take the metro to your hotel.

ENJOY!!

Kalidurga
08-28-2007, 03:20 AM
Ok, ladies, it's time. We talked about doing another Monument Tour ride, do we think it's possible that all of our crazy schedules could coincide with Livin the Dream's visit so that we can give her a TE-DC tour?

Livin, what dates are you going to be here?

divingbiker
08-28-2007, 06:14 AM
Ok, ladies, it's time. We talked about doing another Monument Tour ride, do we think it's possible that all of our crazy schedules could coincide with Livin the Dream's visit so that we can give her a TE-DC tour?

End of October sounds perfect, as long as she'll be here on a weekend day.

Livin the Dream
08-28-2007, 08:51 AM

Riding with some TE ladies would be fantastic! I'll be there from Wed. 10/31 to Saturday, 11/3 (I'm actually thinking about flying back on Sunday if I can find a cheap hotel for Sat. night. -- my employer won't pick up the Sat. night hotel bill since the conference I'm attending is over on Friday). I'll have some free time Wed. morning and evening, Fri. evening and all day Saturday.

Velobambina -- thanks for the links and the advice. It looks like I can definitely rent a bike. Yep, I'm flying into Reagan. I did the Dulles thing once -- the savings didn't offset the hassle. The hotel I'm staying at has an entrance to Metro Center in their lobby, so getting from the airport to the hotel couldn't be much easier!

Kalidurga
08-28-2007, 09:20 AM
Do we want to plan a Monument Tour ride for Saturday, November 3? It hopefully won't be too chilly by then, but there will certainly be less tourists.

divingbiker
08-28-2007, 01:34 PM
Do we want to plan a Monument Tour ride for Saturday, November 3? It hopefully won't be too chilly by then, but there will certainly be less tourists.

Sounds good to me.

7rider
08-28-2007, 05:44 PM
I think an autumn monument tour would be great!
We'll be due for another group adventure by then, for sure!

Zen
08-28-2007, 06:46 PM
Unless George Clooney returns my call that sounds good to me

aicabsolut
08-28-2007, 06:56 PM
I'll probably be doing a team ride on Saturday then.

Big Wheel Bikes (there's one in Georgetown) rents bikes of all types. From there, you've got access to 2 paved and 1 unpaved MUP and some decent roads. The traffic can be unnerving. Avoid rush hours on the road and the paths if you can.

In the evenings, you can do some laps around Hains Point (East Potomac Park). Better during cherry blossom season down there, but it's a decent place to get out and move the legs. You can get there via sidewalk paths if traffic is heavy (at least past the parkways, Ohio Dr is pretty tame).

HillSlugger
08-29-2007, 05:35 AM
Here's hoping my knee will have improved enough by then to participate!

Kalidurga
08-29-2007, 06:44 AM
Cool, this gives us 2 months to plan a really good route and pick a spot for lunch (with vegan options!). Livin, are there any particular things you'd like to see on the ride?

Livin the Dream
08-29-2007, 09:16 AM
Cool, this gives us 2 months to plan a really good route and pick a spot for lunch (with vegan options!). Livin, are there any particular things you'd like to see on the ride?

Overall, I think a bike would be a great way to see DC, so plan a route that makes sense! The one monument I have only seen from a distance is the Iwo Jima Memorial. If it's not difficult to get there, I would love to see it up close. I'd also like to ride along the Potomac. Is there a good route to ride along the river?

This is going to be great! I hope the weather is reasonable!

I did some searching last night. It looks like a good place to rent a bike is at Bike the Sites in the Old Post Office Pavilion. It's close to my hotel and it looks like that have Trek bikes, road, comfort & hybrid.

What kind of bikes will most of you be riding? I'm thinking a hybrid might be a choice for a sightseeing ride. What do you think?

Zen
08-29-2007, 10:37 AM
Cool, this gives us 2 months to plan a really good route and pick a spot for lunch (with vegan options!).
I've always wanted to eat at Ben's Chili Bowl. Fried okra is vegan :p

Kalidurga
08-29-2007, 12:10 PM
Livin, when we did our monument ride earlier this year, we rode across the Potomac to the Iwo Jima memorial, then back across the river and along it down to Hain's Point. Personally, I'd love it if we included that section again.

Zen, where's Ben's Chili Bowl?

Zen
08-29-2007, 12:19 PM
It's nowhere near where we'll be, I think it's up on U street:(

divingbiker
08-29-2007, 12:26 PM
It's nowhere near where we'll be, I think it's up on U street:(

That's only a mile or so north of the White House. Not hard to get to at all, and there's a metro station nearby.

Kalidurga
08-29-2007, 01:02 PM
Ben's Chili Bowl (http://www.benschilibowl.com/index.shtml) definitely looks like an interesting place that could be a lot of fun. They don't show the veggie items on the menu, but the mention veggie burgers and chili in the History section. Apparently, Ben's is a favorite of Bill Cosby! I haven't been to the Shaw neighborhood in years, but I know it used to be borderline sketchy. Zen, do you know if there would be a safe place for all of our bikes?

Zen
08-29-2007, 01:13 PM
I must confess I know nothing about it except the type of food and the atmosphere:o

divingbiker
08-29-2007, 01:26 PM
Ben's Chili Bowl (http://www.benschilibowl.com/index.shtml) definitely looks like an interesting place that could be a lot of fun. They don't show the veggie items on the menu, but the mention veggie burgers and chili in the History section. Apparently, Ben's is a favorite of Bill Cosby! I haven't been to the Shaw neighborhood in years, but I know it used to be borderline sketchy. Zen, do you know if there would be a safe place for all of our bikes?

I ride very close to there on my commute every day. That whole U Street area has been improving over the last few years, so it's not nearly so "sketchy." Sometime I'll take a detour down to Ben's and see if there's a spot for the bikes. I would guess if we tied them all together and kept an eye on them out the window they'd be fine, but I will look.

A bowl of veggie chili on a November day might be pretty tasty!

Kalidurga
08-29-2007, 03:37 PM
We'll just have to make sure they're open on Saturday, which I didn't notice at the website. A lot of places downtown are closed on weekends.

That is just a first suggestion, though. We've got plenty of time to plan, so let's put Ben's on the list and keep things open.

divingbiker
08-29-2007, 03:43 PM
We've got plenty of time to plan, so let's put Ben's on the list and keep things open.

I checked out Ben's Chili Bowl this evening, and I think we need to take it off the list. There really is no place to park the bikes. The sidewalk is very narrow, and there aren't any street signs or light poles to attach the bikes to. The only fixed thing is an electric/water/gas/whatever meter on one side of the building. But since the sidewalk is only about 7 or 8 feet wide, I just don't think it would work.

Zen
08-29-2007, 04:30 PM
:( :( :(

Livin the Dream
09-05-2007, 02:26 PM
I had a few minutes at work today, so I called Bike the Sites to ask about what kind of bikes they have, etc. Their road bikes are Trek Pilot 1.2's; my road bike is a Pilot 1.0, so I'm definitely going to rent the road bike. She said they don't have a lot of them, but I'm thinking the first Sat. in November, bikes rentals aren't going to be terribly popular. Plus, I plan to be there when they open.

Do you think meeting at the Old Post Office pavilion would work to start the ride? It's right across from the Federal Triangle Metro stop. Bike the Sites doesn't open until 9:00, so that would be the earliest I could get started.

Kalidurga
09-05-2007, 06:07 PM
Do you think meeting at the Old Post Office pavilion would work to start the ride? It's right across from the Federal Triangle Metro stop. Bike the Sites doesn't open until 9:00, so that would be the earliest I could get started.

That'll require a transfer at Metro Center for those of us taking the Red Line into the city but, as you pointed out, it'll be early on a Saturday morning, so it shouldn't be a problem.

Has anyone come up with any other lunch ideas? If we start and end near the Old Post Office, that should give us some good options. Here's a list of possibilities: Yelp.com: Federal Triangle restaurants. (http://www.yelp.com/search?find_desc=&rpp=10&find_loc=20036&cflt=restaurants#mapCenterLat:38.906262865507145/mapCenterLng:-77.04136848449707/mapZoom:14/cats:restaurants/hood:Federal%20Triangle%2C%20Washington%2C%20DC/rpp:10)

divingbiker
09-06-2007, 02:46 AM
That'll require a transfer at Metro Center for those of us taking the Red Line into the city but, as you pointed out, it'll be early on a Saturday morning, so it shouldn't be a problem.

Has anyone come up with any other lunch ideas? If we start and end near the Old Post Office, that should give us some good options. Here's a list of possibilities: Yelp.com: Federal Triangle restaurants. (http://www.yelp.com/search?find_desc=&rpp=10&find_loc=20036&cflt=restaurants#mapCenterLat:38.906262865507145/mapCenterLng:-77.04136848449707/mapZoom:14/cats:restaurants/hood:Federal%20Triangle%2C%20Washington%2C%20DC/rpp:10)

Actually, it's much easier and quicker just to get off the red line at Metro Center and ride down the hill two or three blocks to Federal Triangle.

Re restaurants, we can end up anywhere, really, since we're on our bikes. Within a mile or so of Federal Triangle are (the other) Cap City Brewery, Indian, Thai, lots of restaurants in Chinatown (not just Chinese), tapas, Austin Grill, etc. The challenge might be finding where to tie up the bikes...Chinatown's not great for that.

I work up in the area of 14th and K/L, and here are some restaurants I know about. They're all less than a mile (uphill) from Federal Triangle, and all are pretty cheap (less than $10), and there's lots of room for bikes at any of these.

Bangkok One (Thai)
Mayur Kabob (Indian/Pakistani)
Casa Blanca (Mexican/Peruvian)

If we want to go somewhere where everyone can find something to eat regardless of preferences, I'd suggest the Cap City Brewery at 1100 New York Avenue, which is very near Metro Center.

As for the tour route, I don't know if there are more sites that folks want to add to the route. For the basic tour we could start at Federal Triangle and do the route we did before (http://www.bikely.com/maps/bike-path/Bike-Tour-of-DC-Monuments)--down Pennsylvania to the Victims of Communism Memorial, Union Station, Capitol, etc, and end up at the White House. Then go to lunch!

Kalidurga
09-06-2007, 03:05 AM
I thought it might be fairly easy to pedal from Metro Center, but couldn't think of which streets would be involved. Anyone from Va planning to hop the Orange/Blue line and join us?

The one thing we do need to keep in mind about restaurants is whether they're open on weekends. I know that my lunch options in the Golden Triangle area are way limited when I work on Saturday. Cap City would probably be open (which brewery/restaurant did we eat at last time?).

Re: The route- Sounds good to me to repeat the route we did before, since it does cover all the major monuments (excellent planning, Janice :D ). We did end up with a time crunch last time and couldn't see everything. I can't remember, did we figure out how much time the whole tour should take?

I'm beginning to wish 11/3 wasn't so far away ;)

divingbiker
09-06-2007, 03:23 AM
The one thing we do need to keep in mind about restaurants is whether they're open on weekends. I know that my lunch options in the Golden Triangle area are way limited when I work on Saturday. Cap City would probably be open (which brewery/restaurant did we eat at last time?).

I checked and the three restaurants I listed, and Cap City, are all open on Saturday.

HillSlugger
09-06-2007, 05:12 AM
I'm beginning to wish 11/3 wasn't so far away ;)

I'm hoping it's far enough off that my knees will be improved and allow me to ride ;)

Livin the Dream
09-06-2007, 08:38 AM
That looks like an awesome route! Janice -- from Kalidurga's comment you planned the route for your previous ride? It sure looks like you put a lot of work into it. :cool:

Would it make more sense to meet at Metro Center? I'll be heading down from the Hyatt, which is very close to Metro Center, to the Old Post Office pavilion to get the bike, so it's no problem to make my way back up there to meet everyone else.

As far as food.... I'm open to anything. I'll follow y'all to wherever you decide to go. The only thing I try to avoid is chains that I can go to at home:p

7rider
09-06-2007, 09:02 AM
Janice is a GREAT D.C. Tour Guide.
I think she has forgotten more about that city than I will ever know!
:D
I, too, avoid chains - even when I'm home!

Just tell me where to go and what stop to get off of from the Metro, and I'll be there!

divingbiker
09-06-2007, 01:44 PM
Janice is a GREAT D.C. Tour Guide.
I think she has forgotten more about that city than I will ever know!

Uh, gee thanks, but I only know the basics to get me through a tour for out of town relatives. Mostly I just look at a map.

Like Tam, I wish that November wasn't two months away, but I guess we have something to look forward to!

Kalidurga
09-06-2007, 04:18 PM
Uh, gee thanks, but I only know the basics to get me through a tour for out of town relatives. Mostly I just look at a map.

Janice, you did a much more tourist-friendly route than I would have. My idea of sight-seeing is to show people Watergate and the Exorcist Stairs ;)

7rider
09-06-2007, 04:41 PM
Janice, you did a much more tourist-friendly route than I would have. My idea of sight-seeing is to show people Watergate and the Exorcist Stairs ;)

Exorcist stairs????? :confused:
Jeez, Janice. Do we have to add that one to the list?

Kalidurga
09-06-2007, 05:57 PM
The Exorcist Stairs are in Georgetown, so they're a little bit off our route ;)

There's a set of steep stairs running along the wall of what used to be the Car Barn, from a gas station parking lot across from Key Bridge, up to a row of townhouses. In the novel, the events of the story took place in one of those townhouses. In the movie, there's a scene in which a guy (one of the priests, I think) gets thrown down those stairs. I've actually never seen the movie because the book scared me too much, but when I used to work in Georgetown I got a big kick out of showing people the Exorcist Stairs. These days, they're more notorious as a killer workout spot for runners.

Madscot just moved to G'town, she'll have to check 'em out.

HillSlugger
09-07-2007, 04:35 AM
I've never seen the Exorcist Stairs. I guess I've got to add it to my list of things to see in DC.

The movie came out when I was about 12 or 13. I remember wanting to see it but my dad saying no, that it was too scary for a kid. I saw it many years later on television and it didn't have the same impact that it would have seeing it on a big screen in a dark theater.

I hope to be able to start light spinning again in late September or early October. If this works out I should be good to go for this ride!

aicabsolut
09-07-2007, 07:59 AM
one of my teammates enjoys running those stairs. he's clearly insane.

Zen
09-07-2007, 09:09 AM
I get to see those twice a year. Every time I have to go to Georgetown U. Hospital, the same place where Madscot is learning brain surgery (just kidding, that's not what she's studying:p )

They are pretty cool looking http://i206.photobucket.com/albums/bb14/zencentury/Exorciststairsphoto.jpg
but I don't know if they're that cool looking.

Kalidurga
09-07-2007, 09:12 AM
They are pretty cool looking http://i206.photobucket.com/albums/bb14/zencentury/Exorciststairsphoto.jpg
but I don't know if they're that cool looking.

They're cool in context. If you don't know the Exorcist connection, they're just really steep stairs that crazy people like Catherine's buddy try to give themselve heart attacks on ;)

Zen
09-07-2007, 01:20 PM
I meant not-that-cool-looking-to-ride-too-far-out-of-the-way-for cool looking.

It would be like in National Lampoon's "Vacation" when they stopped for three minutes to look at the Grand Canyon.

teigyr
09-07-2007, 04:23 PM
I think the public transportation is good in the DC area, right? Would love to see the Exorcist stairs but I'm strange that way. Might be going to a concert there in November, have my choice between there and some other cities. Have never been to DC and I'm thinking those stairs might sell it :D

The club I'd be going to is the Black Cat. Has anyone ever been there? Is it recommended?

Kalidurga
09-07-2007, 04:37 PM
I used to go to the 9:30 Club, but I haven't been to the Black Cat. What show are you planning to see, teigyr?

Probably the easiest way to get to Georgetown to see the ExStairs is to take the Circulator (http://www.dccirculator.com/routemap.html) from wherever you're staying downtown. If you get off the bus near the intersection of M & Wisconsin, it's then about a 3-4 block walk westward on M to the Exxon Gas station just past Key Bridge. Or, you can drive (or pedal!). The stairs are tucked in the corner of the gas station parking lot. Unfortunately, the rest of Georgetown isn't as interesting as it used to be (sorry, Madscot) :rolleyes:

teigyr
09-07-2007, 04:58 PM
A group called Stiff Little Fingers. They're an aging Irish punk-type band from way back when. It's tradition to see them when they get to the states. Unfortunately, they're only playing six shows, all of them in the eastern parts of the U.S. Boston would be easy because I've been to the venue and I know how to get around but it would be good to expand my horizons :D That and the Exorcist stairs...that movie still scares me.

Zen
09-07-2007, 05:46 PM
Unfortunately, the rest of Georgetown isn't as interesting as it used to be (sorry, Madscot) :rolleyes:

That's for sure. It's like going to the mall now.The shopping mall, not the National Mall.

Tam, do you remember a club called The Wax Museum? I think it was on E street. Back in the early eighties I saw Willie Dixon and John Lee Hooker there. It had tiered seating and tables at the entry level, in the back of that seating.
You were probably in junior high then ;)
Sound the Geezer alarm (for me, I mean)

That and the Exorcist stairs...that movie still scares me.I was about to call you a jet-setter until I realized how old that made me sound:p The Exorcist is a good one, alright but I think the only movie that actually made me scream was Carrie, at the end when the hand came up out of the grave:eek:

Excuse me while I go look for a nursing home.

teigyr
09-07-2007, 06:21 PM
I was about to call you a jet-setter until I realized how old that made me sound:p The Exorcist is a good one, alright but I think the only movie that actually made me scream was Carrie, at the end when the hand came up out of the grave:eek:

Excuse me while I go look for a nursing home.

Um...I was at another concert (another aging punk-type band, go figure) and there were tons of young'uns there. I got to talking to one of them and mentioned one of the shows I had seen that same band in way back when. The guy practically bowed down in front of me and said that must have been SO cool...and then he kind of wanted to know about the good old days, not in those exact words. I wanted to die. I don't feel old! And that was said with my very best whining voice. I'm not ready to be the person clinging to the past but I do like these shows and sometimes these kids today irk me. Dang.

On the lighter side, yes. Carrie was VERY scary. The Exorcist stairs though...I'd have to put the theme song on the ipod if I went to see them :D

Kalidurga
09-07-2007, 06:58 PM
Zen, re Dixon/Hooker: That must have been one heck of a show. And, nope, I was way past junior high in the early eighties :rolleyes:

Teigyr: I can sooo relate to that. I look at punk-type kids these days, and I just wanna go up to them and say, "Y'know, I looked just like you... 25 years ago!" And I still listen to that music :D

Wow, talk about thread hi-jack. Did I cause this? :eek: ;)

teigyr
09-07-2007, 07:42 PM
um....I think the threadjack was all me. sorry :o

It's just so nice to find people who feel like I do.

Kalidurga
09-08-2007, 03:09 AM
It's just so nice to find people who feel like I do.

Quite understandable. It's why we're all here :D

Your possible show at the Black Cat wouldn't by any chance coincide with our ride on 11/3, would it? (Part invitation, part lame attempt to bring the convo back on-topic ;) )

HillSlugger
09-08-2007, 07:26 AM
The Exorcist stairs though...I'd have to put the theme song on the ipod if I went to see them :D

I use that as the ring tone for my Ex ;)

teigyr
09-10-2007, 09:40 AM
I use that as the ring tone for my Ex ;)

Congrats! My computer is now covered in what I was drinking :p

bicyclulz
09-24-2007, 07:41 AM
This ride sounds great! I can't seem to convince any of my gal pals to get on a bike (someone is always preggers, or just had a baby--even if it was a year ago, or think that riding a bike in dee cee is suicide!).

I'd love to hear the details and meet up! I usually go on that arlington loop around the W & OD to the Custis Trail, etc. There are a great many ways to get into Downtown DC for me ....

....also....I highly recommend Bens Chili Bowl.....OR on a sunday after a nice ride to get biking up Connecticut ave to the front page in dupont cir. for their amazing all you can eat $20 brunch and for an extra $5 you get unlimited mimosas.....although it might be best to make this an after ride thing....unlimited mimosas:cool: +biking (god forbid on clipless)=bad news....

Livin the Dream
10-04-2007, 05:49 PM
Just thought I'd check in to see if the plan is still for a monument ride on 11/3. It seemed so far away when I first posted, but it's coming up quick! Hopefully the weather will stay mild!

I haven't been around here alot -- work has been crazy. DH & I are leaving on a camping vacation to the Smokies tomorrow after work. No electric, probably not even a cell phone signal, so I won't be online again until next weekend unless we end up at Panera or somewhere else with wireless access.

I'm really excited about meeting some fellow TErs!

divingbiker
10-04-2007, 06:13 PM
Just thought I'd check in to see if the plan is still for a monument ride on 11/3.

Yep, that's still the plan. We can work out the details of where and when to meet when the date gets closer.

Looking forward to meeting you, too!

Kalidurga
10-04-2007, 06:13 PM
Livin', I'm definitely looking forward to this, too. The last Monument ride was so much fun! Enjoy your vacation, though, the Smokies should be gorgeous.

I'm not sure, but I don't think we've set a time/place to meet yet (Or did we? This thread's getting long), bicyclulz, but we definitely will in the next couple of weeks. You should certainly join us. Front Page isn't more than a few blocks from the White House, which is on the route, so it could be a lunch possibility. I work near there, but I can't remember: does Front Page have outdoor seating?

HillSlugger
10-04-2007, 06:21 PM
I'm definitely counting on it! Looking forward to meeting you.

7rider
10-05-2007, 03:38 AM
I'll be there!
Just to get you in the mood. Here are some pix (http://s193.photobucket.com/albums/z85/7rider/Washington_DC_June23/?)from our last D.C. adventure.

Zen
10-05-2007, 05:34 AM
is "The awakening' still there? I've always wanted to see that. But I can't make it this time!!! Grrrr.

bicyclulz
10-05-2007, 08:34 AM
look forward to hearing more about this ride....i feel like its been weeeeeks since i've gotten on my bike:-(

Kalidurga--Front Page does have outdoor seating. It's good for people watching.

Hope i can make it to meet everyone! Have a great weekend:-)

aicabsolut
10-05-2007, 01:00 PM
is "The awakening' still there? I've always wanted to see that. But I can't make it this time!!! Grrrr.

It's still down at Hains, but it's going to move soonish to a marina. Which is good and bad. Good for sprint practice at Hains (fewer tourists), but bad because then it's even more boring down there.

Kalidurga
10-23-2007, 02:58 AM
Less than two weeks to go, we should begin finalizing details!

- Meeting at 9:00am at Bike the Sites at the Old Post Office Pavillion? Or, for those of us taking the Red Line, meeting at Metro Center between 8:30-8:45 and riding together down to the Old Post Office to catch up with Livin the Dream?

- Same route we did last time? Anyone have any sites they want to add?

- Lunch. I vote we go with one of Janice's suggestions, as they've been the most viable possibilities so far:

I work up in the area of 14th and K/L, and here are some restaurants I know about. They're all less than a mile (uphill) from Federal Triangle, and all are pretty cheap (less than $10), and there's lots of room for bikes at any of these.

Bangkok One (Thai)
Mayur Kabob (Indian/Pakistani)
Casa Blanca (Mexican/Peruvian)

If we want to go somewhere where everyone can find something to eat regardless of preferences, I'd suggest the Cap City Brewery at 1100 New York Avenue, which is very near Metro Center.

Based on the last Tour de Monuments, I'd assume we should plan on 4-5 hours, including lunch. Am I missing anything?

HillSlugger
10-23-2007, 05:21 AM
Your suggestions sound good to me. Sounds like pretty much everything is covered except for a confirmation from Livin the Dream.

Zen
10-23-2007, 09:15 AM
I see you already know about Bike The Sights.
Does this fit in to the time frame for (I forgot who the tourista is)?
Bike The Sights At Night (http://www.goldstarevents.com/events/washington-dc/bike-the-sites-at-nite-tour.html)

Possegal
10-23-2007, 01:31 PM
man, i'm new to this site, and admittedly fairly new to road cycling (or more accurately new-again, since i used to bike a good bit back when i was younger) - and this sounds like such a cool day. though i'd be intruding, since i don't know anyone here yet. :) but i'm going to florida, leaving that day, with my sister to celebrate the end of her chemo and radiation that she's been dealing with for the last two months.

maybe next time and hopefully by then i'll have become a bit acquainted with folks on this board.

HillSlugger
10-23-2007, 04:46 PM
Welcome! You are definitely welcome to join us on any ride we post here...that's why we post here ;) Hope to meet you on another ride.

Nicole

Livin the Dream
10-23-2007, 05:32 PM
Hi everyone. I haven't been on here much -- work's a zoo, so I haven't had time to sneak a look at the boards there and it hasn't been much calmer at home. For example, this weekend would have been great weather for a nice, long ride. What did I do? We're putting a new roof on our house -- after removing the three layers we discovered were already there. I spent all weekend picking up shingles and pieces of shingles and nails.... (I did manage to sneak away for a 10 mile ride, but that was it.)

Yes, my trip is still on and I can't wait for the Monument ride! It's hard to believe this trip is less than two weeks away.

Kalidurga -- the plan sounds fine to me. The ride looks great, the time works fine (My flight home isn't until Sunday), and any of the food choices mentioned sound good. I'll PM you and Janice with my cell# so you can get a hold of me if needed.

Zen -- I looked at the nite tour Bike the Sites offers on Friday night -- it looks like fun, but I'd rather ride with fellow TEers.

Regina -- thanks for post the link to photos from the monument ride earlier this year. I enjoyed looking at them. What is the big hand? I don't think I've seen it before.

divingbiker
10-24-2007, 04:49 PM
What is the big hand? I don't think I've seen it before.

That's the Awakening statue, on Hains Point. Various body parts come out of the ground, so it looks like a giant is buried. I assume it's still there, since I haven't read that it's been moved yet.

- Meeting at 9:00am at Bike the Sites at the Old Post Office Pavillion? Or, for those of us taking the Red Line, meeting at Metro Center between 8:30-8:45 and riding together down to the Old Post Office to catch up with Livin the Dream?

It will take maybe two minutes to ride from Metro Center to the Old Post Office, so I'd say meeting at 8:45 would be fine for those of you taking the Red Line. I'll probably just ride in from home like I did last time.

I'm not sure where the Metro Center elevator puts you out, but you can ride south on 12th or 13th; Bike the Sites is behind the Old Post Office, on 12th St. across from the Federal Triangle Metro Station.

See y'all then!

HillSlugger
10-29-2007, 04:55 PM
Regina, do you want to meet at Glenmont for the ride to Metro Center? There's an 8:03 that arrives at 8:30 (the 8:15 arrives at 8:42; I think that's too late).

The riders, as I know it:
Nicole (MDHillSlug)
Regina (Regina)
Janice (divingbiker)
Tam (Kalidurga)
Livin the Dream
bicyclulz?
anyone else?

7rider
10-29-2007, 05:17 PM
Regina, do you want to meet at Glenmont for the ride to Metro Center? There's an 8:03 that arrives at 8:30 (the 8:15 arrives at 8:42; I think that's too late).

I actually plan on riding my bike in and hooking up with Janice en route (J - still need to work on details? I've never been on that path beyond Rte. 29/Colesville Rd.). Last time, I got only 15 miles or so for the day, and I'd like to get more miles in (12 miles to go b/f I hit my goal of 2500 for the year...which I can do on Wednesday with my commute....BUT...why not shoot for 3K, yes?). If you think you can do 40 easy miles, join me at the house - I plan to leave at 7 a.m. to meet Janice at 8.

madscot13
10-29-2007, 05:28 PM
The Exorcist Stairs are in Georgetown, so they're a little bit off our route ;)

There's a set of steep stairs running along the wall of what used to be the Car Barn, from a gas station parking lot across from Key Bridge, up to a row of townhouses. In the novel, the events of the story took place in one of those townhouses. In the movie, there's a scene in which a guy (one of the priests, I think) gets thrown down those stairs. I've actually never seen the movie because the book scared me too much, but when I used to work in Georgetown I got a big kick out of showing people the Exorcist Stairs. These days, they're more notorious as a killer workout spot for runners.

Madscot just moved to G'town, she'll have to check 'em out.

You know I pass the steps several times a month but I have never actually gone down them!

divingbiker
10-29-2007, 06:57 PM
J - still need to work on details? I've never been on that path beyond Rte. 29/Colesville Rd.

The path can be a bit rough, so you may want to ride in the road if the traffic is light. Just keep going south, crossing Wayne Ave. and Piney Branch (lights at both of those) and eventually you'll come to Maple Ave, where there will be a stop sign. Straight in front of you will be Adventist Hospital. I'll be waiting by the bridge at Maple Ave. and the Parkway at 8 am.

Zen
10-29-2007, 07:09 PM
That's the Awakening statue, on Hains Point. Various body parts come out of the ground, so it looks like a giant is buried.

no, no, no, you've got it all wrong - the hand statue is called "Gimme" and it's in front of the IRS Building on Constitution Avenue;)

Kalidurga
10-30-2007, 05:18 AM
You know I pass the steps several times a month but I have never actually gone down them!

Hey, madscot, are you able to join us this Saturday?

Ok, since we've got Janice and Regina riding into town, and Nicole and I coming from opposite ends of the Red line, 9:00am at Bike the Sites/Old Post Office Pavillion seems to make the most sense for our meeting spot.

I gotta remember to clean my bike on Friday when I get home from Florida... :rolleyes:

Livin the Dream
10-30-2007, 03:23 PM
I'll see everyone on Saturday morning! Bike the Sites opens at 9:00; hopefully it will just take a few minutes to get the rental squared away so we can be on our way. I'm calling tomorrow to reserve a bike, so hopefully they'll have everything ready. I'll have on light blue fleece or a navy blue wind jacket, depending on the temp.

If the weather forecast can be believed, it should be a pretty day for a ride!

I decided to travel without my laptop, so unless I find a free wireless hotspot to use my PDA, I probaby won't be checking this site after later tonight. (The hotel I'm staying at charges something like $12/day for wireless access, which I think is ridiculous).

Zen's quote -- no, no, no, you've got it all wrong - the hand statue is called "Gimme" and it's in front of the IRS Building on Constitution Avenue

Zen, IRS would be a PERFECT place for that huge hand!

madscot13
10-30-2007, 03:34 PM
well that depends on how fast you guys will be going. I haven't ridden much since June, but I do have my bike here! I would like to meet y'all (I am living in the South!). I also have a certain someone's SS and do enjoy hand delivering things. I tried reading through the thread and I am a little bit lost. Can someone tell me the plan?

madeline

Zen
10-30-2007, 04:37 PM
That someone won't be attending as she has another ride taking place
that day :o

Are you ready for Halloween in Georgetown? Par-tay! Get your box ready!

madscot13
10-30-2007, 05:32 PM
unfortunately, I left the box at home and as a direct result I don't have a halloween costume.

madscot13
10-30-2007, 05:38 PM
but I am a safer biker!

HillSlugger
10-30-2007, 05:48 PM
The plan, as I understand it:

Meet at Bike the Sites at the Old Post Office Pavilion at 9am;
Leisurely tour of DC sites (http://www.bikely.com/maps/bike-path/42304), with frequent stops;
Lunch at ?
Head home

7rider
10-30-2007, 06:29 PM
well that depends on how fast you guys will be going. I haven't ridden much since June, but I do have my bike here! I would like to meet y'all (I am living in the South!). I also have a certain someone's SS and do enjoy hand delivering things. I tried reading through the thread and I am a little bit lost. Can someone tell me the plan?

madeline

MDHillSlug pretty much has got the plan down.
Don't expect us to be lighting the streets on fire. We'll be riding, stopping, chatting, riding, stopping, taking pix.

Re: the Hand....
Haines Point? The IRS? Mere rookies.
The biggest ol' hand is in front of MY office building! Here's the land mark for my office (ignore the person in the pic, I just don't have a pic of the hand, solo). While you can't see the birds above it, it's supposed to represent a meeting of land and sea, or man and nature, or something.... Note...it's also a non-functioning foutain. I think that's telling in a way.

HillSlugger
11-02-2007, 07:09 AM
It looks like we're going to have to plan for dealing with a 20 degree increase in temperature during our ride and a fair amount of wind: the forecast calls for early morning temps around 39 and afternoon temps approaching 60, winds to 14mph. Full sun all day long.

Regina, I guess you need to deal with a pre-dawn departure, too.

7rider
11-02-2007, 07:38 AM
It looks like we're going to have to plan for dealing with a 20 degree increase in temperature during our ride and a fair amount of wind: the forecast calls for early morning temps around 39 and afternoon temps approaching 60, winds to 14mph. Full sun all day long.

Regina, I guess you need to deal with a pre-dawn departure, too.

Brrrrrrr........
It's going to be a "Dress Like Shrek" ride - like an onion....layers!!! :D

Say....we turn the clocks BACK on Saturday night (actually, early Sunday a.m.), right?? Not Friday???

HillSlugger
11-02-2007, 08:02 AM
Brrrrrrr........
It's going to be a "Dress Like Shrek" ride - like an onion....layers!!! :D

Say....we turn the clocks BACK on Saturday night (actually, early Sunday a.m.), right?? Not Friday???

Just need a place to put our layers after we strip them off. Not everyone has panniers like you ;)

Officially, Sunday morning, 2am.

Kalidurga
11-02-2007, 03:41 PM
I'm bringing my Camelbak mtb pack so I can store my layers as they get peeled off. Dunno if I could fit other people's layers as well, though. Would Regina or Janice have room in their panniers/bike bags?

I've got no place for a cue sheet, though, so I'll be following you ladies.

HillSlugger
11-02-2007, 04:09 PM
I'll have a CamelBak, too, as well as a rack "trunk", so I may have extra room for some stuff.

I know how to layer the torso; what do you do about legs?

7rider
11-02-2007, 05:05 PM
I'll have my green "carpet bag." So I'll have plenty of room for carrying stuff. Last time, it was almost TOO big.

For legs...I intend to wear tights over knickers. If/when it warms up to something closer to cool, I'll shuck the tights and stick with the knickers.

Kalidurga
11-02-2007, 05:32 PM
I'm gonna start out with tights over a chamois/knee warmer combo. With any luck, it'll end up warm enough to shuck even the knee warmers (though I'm not counting on it).

HillSlugger
11-02-2007, 06:56 PM
Thanks for the tips. See you all at 9am.

madscot13
11-02-2007, 07:33 PM
oy vey I just got home from school and as you can guess I am le tired. I don't think I will be able to make it tomorrow- and I just pumped up my tires! I hope I can catch you all on another ride before it snows or I leave DC. Maybe I will be in shape then too!

sorry for the late notice,
madeline