PDA

View Full Version : Shouldering

Drtgirl
08-27-2007, 05:45 PM
I'm finding that shouldering my bike is difficult due to the sloped top tube. When moving slowly it's clunky at best, but when I try to go fast it's nearly impossible.

Realistically, in a women's beginner race, do most people shoulder so just push or carry the bike up somehow? I hear pretty much anything goes.

How do you shoulder the bike on the nose of the saddle?

Thanks! :o

Eden
08-27-2007, 06:00 PM
Something tells me I'm going to have the same problems.... mine is a kids frame....well I should say I know its going to be a problem, we'll just see how I deal with it.
I don't really know much about this yet, but I'll be taking my first clinic tomorrow morning so I can report back about how I learn to cope with it. I do have the really small wheels so shouldering with the saddle should work for me.(I won't be dragging the front wheel on the ground). I can bend down and slip my shoulder under the saddle fairly easily - though I think the graceful part will take some practice.
I do have team mates who race cross and I've watched some of them and I'm going to have to say yes - most of them, even those who race in the 4's do shoulder their bikes and pushing will be a disadvantage.

btw - what bike do you have and what size? I'm curious since I didn't see any small enough for me... that yours is a compact frame interests me. Is it a cross bike or a mt. bike?

Drtgirl
08-27-2007, 06:42 PM
Duh, it took me like 2 seconds to figure this out. I should spend more time on the bike and less on the computer!

This method is going to work much better than traditional shouldering.

Eden- I have a 44cm Bianchi Axis. Pretty much any bike in this size will have compact geometry.

Eden
08-27-2007, 06:46 PM
Yeah - usually on the web sites they show a bigger bike, so you see a flat top tube. I'm too short even for a 44 :( I just hope they don't laugh when I go to the clinic tomorrow :p

velogirl
08-27-2007, 08:08 PM
depending on which type of courses you race, you may never have to shoulder the bike. in many of our races, we don't have extended runs or steep run-ups, so you don't see anyone shouldering the bike. a good suitcase carry is adequate for most short runs (including barriers) with the exception of an extended run-up.

another alternative is to hold the downtube close to the bottom bracket and rest the top tube on your upper arm (below your shoulder). this will stabilize the bike, but you might have to hold the bar with your left hand (not ideal for running).

hope this helps!

Lorri