PDA

View Full Version : My first XTerra

limewave
08-27-2007, 05:20 AM
Distances:

Swim 1k
Bike 15 miles
Run 6.5 miles

The Night Before: My doctor put me on a restricted diet last week and I'm only allowed one serving of carbs a day. I asked her if there were exceptions to this rule when I trained and she said "no". But I didn't ask her about a big endurance race. So, I cheated for dinner and had 1 whole cup of pasta with tomato sauce for my prerace dinner.

The Morning Of: Trying to stick to my new diet I had a plain english muffin with a banana and a very large glass of water for breakfast. I didn't know what to do for nutrients during the race, so I stuffed some gu in my pockets even though they aren't listed as acceptable foods on my restricted diet list.

The Race: There were only 10 women signed up out of a 100 racers. 5 of us know each other and we're pretty amateur, the other 5 looked ferocious! One of the ladies had competed in world's. I talked to her for a few minutes, she was very nice and someday I want to be a stud like her. She's my new hero.

The Swim: The bell rang and we were off! Swimming is my weakest link (hard to believe 'cause I'm such a slow runner). But I managed to keep my head down the entire time and stayed focus on my strokes. I was surprised I beat some of my friend's out of the lake, but just barely. I think I was 50th. I already felt very fatigued at this point, but I forced myself to jog the 1/4 mile UPHILL to the transition area.

The Bike: As I mentioned, I felt very fatigued already. Fortunately the first 2 miles are pretty flat even though they were technical. I took a gu about 4 miles into the ride. The original bike route was supposed to be a 12 mile loop. That's the loop I had been practicing. But someone complained it was too short so they changed the loop to make it 15 miles 2 days before the race. I have only ridden that section once before and it wasn't pretty. Neither was it pretty this time. It was steep, long climb followed by technical descent and repeat for 4 miles. My friend caught me at this section. We rode together for awhile but my legs felt so weak that I told her to go on without me. At mile 13 of the bike I took another Gu. The last 2 miles we were back on the original trail and I managed to finish my bike feeling pretty strong and confident after that tough middle section that nearly beat me down.

The Run: At the transition area I got the dry-heeves. One of my friends walked with me a little and got me some water and an orange slice. I was able to keep those down. I walked for 1/8 of a mile and then started my 6.5 mile run. I was surprised that I felt pretty good running. But once I hit a climb my legs were so weak that I had to walk up most of the hills. Even walking, I managed to not get passed by anyone during the first 3.5 mile lap. About 1/4 mile into the second lap I got really bad chills and it felt like a tight band was around my chest and I couldn't breathe. I started to hyperventilate. I had to walk. I tried to run several times after that but my chest would get so tight that a few times I was sure I was going to pass out. I ended up walking most of the last 3 miles and was passed by another friend. I jogged the last 200 hundred feet. When I crossed the finish line I was hyperventilating and my lips were blue.

Results: Well, I managed to finish first place in my age group out of one. I think I came in 9 place out of 10 women. My overall time was 3:31. I haven't checked the results for my splits. DH won overall for the Duathlon--he's the three year reigning champion :)

I'm not sure I'm ready to start an XTerra career--at least not until DD is a little older and I can find 5 hours on the weekend to go mountain bike and trail run. But, I do know that I'll have to at least do this race again next year to redeem myself.

Wahine
08-27-2007, 05:34 AM
Limewave,

You had a rough day but you made it through. And just because you were the only woman in your division that doesn't mean that you don't deserve a medal, it just goes to show how hard it is to do these races.

You'll spend the next few days overanalyzing what happened. I would guess that a lot of the fatigue was coming from the new restricted diet. And it doesn't sound like you've had time to train. The constircted feeling and turning blue...I really don't know, but it sounds a little like the symptoms you get with a panic attack. I don't think you a had a panic attack but with the stress of the situation you can overstimulate the same parts of your nervous system that would lead to similar symtoms, maybe. I'm just speculating.

Good job on toughing it out. You have to have a bad race once in a while. You should still be very proud.:D

cosc
08-27-2007, 06:42 AM
Limewave, it takes a lot of guts to finish a race when your body says, "not today." Congrats on finishing a mighty tough race.

TrekJeni
08-27-2007, 08:56 AM
Limewave!
Congrats you rock girl! You're my hero as I'm too chicken to even sign up for a tri yet! You came in FIRST PLACE! Who cares if you were the only one in your age group. Ask all your coworkers what they did this weekend, I bet NOONE did anything as hard as you did.
WTG!
Jeni

rocknrollgirl
08-27-2007, 09:18 AM
HEY!!!!

Remember, I told you the other day...just finishing an Xterra is a huge accomplishment. They are tough. You should feel very proud. You learn from every race, and you will take what you have learned and apply it to the next one. And you will do another. I just know it.

Now the bigger question. Why the restricted diet?

KSH
08-27-2007, 10:50 AM
Congratulations! Sounds like you had a rough day out there and you pressed through till the end and you still beat one other lady! YES!

Yea, what's up with the restricted diet? You know, reducing carbs for an athlete is horrible. You need carbs to train and race. Plain and simple. Unless it's a serious health issue, maybe you and your Dr. can discuss you getting to eat carbs again.

Well, great job out there... I know you were a little concerned about the competition going into it. You toughed it out and did a good job!

limewave
08-27-2007, 11:15 AM
The Restricted Diet:

Last week I was diagnosed with Hypothyroid. Plus I'm extra dehydrated, somehow my body isn't storing or using water correctly. And I'm having hormmonal issues.

SO, this diet is supposed to get things balanced, clean out toxins, and promote healthy functioning organs. It's a low-glycemic index diet.

I had my follow-up today and learned that it is a temporary diet--I think for 30 to 45 days. My next big event isn't until mid November, so this diet shouldn't effect that. In the mean time, the doctor's will be consulting to figure out what I can supplement the diet with to support me on my endurance training days. I should hear back from them soon.

Starfish
08-27-2007, 11:20 AM
Boy, I second everything everyone said. Just getting to the start line is a victory, and I really believe that. And, trying to do sports on a carb-restricted diet? I don't think I could do it!

Best wishes...I think you're tough.

Tri Girl
08-29-2007, 04:18 AM
Congrats on finishing (heck- congrats on even starting an xTerra). I'm not brave enough to tackle an off road tri, so you have all my respect. You weren't feeling well, but didn't give up. So proud of you!!!
I'm glad the new diet is temporary. We all know you can't train and eat like that and expect your body to perform well. Hopefully when you get past this initial phase things will get better.

dirtygirl1
09-11-2007, 06:13 AM
Nice work!

I've always wanted to try an XTerra! Someday ...

I can't beleive you did all that with the restricted diet. I would have fainted at the start line :eek:

Congrats! Next race I am sure you will feel more pep as you won't be on the restricted diet anymore - yay :)