PDA

View Full Version : New Bike, wheeee !

jobob
10-18-2004, 08:42 AM
Just in time for my 45th birthday (this coming Friday, if anyone wants to send me cake and flowers :D), I caught an ad on the Rivendell bike list for a used custom Riv for sale.

I looked at the measurements, I looked at the pictures, I looked at the asking price, and within about 30 seconds decided This Must Be Mine !!!

So I fired off an email to the seller, waited a couple of days, and around the time I assumed it was already spoken for, I heard back from the seller. We set up a test ride for Sunday.

My husband chuckled on the way home that as soon as I saw the bike he knew I was going to take it - he said my eyes lit up and I was practically drooling :D

Here's the ad that appeared on the Riv site (it'll probably be taken down very soon. I really need to get my own website to post photos...).

http://rivendellbicycles.com/webalog/frames/50541.html

and here's a link to the photos in case the ad disappears:

http://www.rivendellbicycles.com/graphic/Law_Bike/

The bike in person is simply stunning - the color is more of a dusty rose / mauve than the pink it appears in the photo (but colors like this are very hard to reproduce photographically). I happen to love this particular color so you could imagine my delight, I was originally thinking I could always repaint it if I wasn't too keen on the color, but this color is staying ! It looks particularly gorgeous with the cream head tube and the cream & deep blue decals. (As an aside, I don't know what they were talking about in the ad regarding rose/magenta/pink rims, they're basically a gunmetal gray. Whatever, it probably scared away prospective buyers. Fine by me!)

The frame itself is in very good shape - a few nicks in the paint here and there but considering it was built in 1996 it's in very good shape! I won't bore you with the history, but it was made in the early days of Rivendell Bicycle Works, designed by Grant Petersen & built at Waterford. I think it's kind of special that it's a Riv Road from the early days.

I've already started messin' with it :D - I took off the rack & fenders for the time being, but I'll probably put them back on later. Eggbeater pedals went on first thing, along with a narrower set of handlebars (Nitto Dream Bars, since we had them, but I might get a set of 41 cm Nitto Noodles) and a shorter top stem - my one quibble is that the top tube was much longer than advertised, but a shorter stem pretty much takes care of that. And of course it's now sporting a black Brooks saddle.

My big quandry right now is whether to stick with the STI shifting or go to old reliable barcons. At first I thought the STIs simply had to go since I never used STIs and I just wasn't comfortable with them. But after I swapped out the stem & handlebars and I toodled around the neighborhood this morning for a bit, I'm now thinking maybe they're not so bad ... jury's still out. I think these particular brifters are pretty ugly (although in person they don't seem as bad as in the photos) but if I stick with the STIs I might get newer, less klunky-looking levers.

I'm probably going to change the crank - it came with 52-42-30 chainrings and 175 mm crankarms and I'll probably change that to something like 48-36-26 rings with 170 mm arms. I needs my climbing gears!! No big rush, though. The rear casette is a 7-speed 12-28 which will suit me fine I thing, esp. with the smaller rings in front.

I haven't gone out for a real ride on this yet (it was pouring rain most of yesterday) but toodling around the neighborhood people couldn't help but notice the big grin on my face ... it feels great, and as I fine-tune it, it'll only get better.

So there you have it. If I ever get any good photos I'll post them.

Oh, almost forgot - of course she has a name! I shall call her "Dusty" (for her dusty rose color, of course).

Adventure Girl
10-18-2004, 09:06 AM
<<wolf whistle>>

Nice, Jobob!! I love the lugs! I have lug envy!:p

Wouldn't you just know the first rain of the season would come as soon as you get your new bike!:mad:

http://www.rivendellbicycles.com/graphic/Law_Bike/law_bike1.jpg

emily_in_nc
10-18-2004, 09:08 AM
Gorgeous, Jobob!

You'll have to send Crystal at girlbike.com a picture of it once you get for her "pink bike sightings" page. It's lovely!

A fellow pink-lover (check my avatar....),

Emily

snapdragen
10-18-2004, 09:35 AM
You know jobob, if you hadn't bought Dusty, I was ready to haul my butt out and get her myself! Such a gorgeous bike!

Veronica
10-18-2004, 09:54 AM
Yeah, I thought about buying it too. :D

V.

Trek420
10-18-2004, 12:44 PM
she's a beaut. i wish you two many happy miles together. and....happy birthday.

aka_kim
10-18-2004, 04:37 PM
Beautiful. Dusty, and the custom Riv cross bike posted on another thread, are making me think I need a Rivendell too!

Wait a minute Jo Bob... weren't you in a quandary early this year about buying your first road bike, and now you've got two!! You're hooked! :)

jobob
10-18-2004, 04:43 PM
hooked? yeah, I'd say that's about right :D

Thanks for the encouragement, everyone !

- Jo.

snapdragen
10-18-2004, 04:59 PM
I think everybody needs a Rivendell :D Seeing Dusty had made me feel that way even more so. Maybe that'll be my goal, get my "riding legs" back this next year - reward myself with a Riv!

ps-I showed a picture of Dusty to a friend of mine - real weight weenie type. "Why fenders?" he says. The man has no appreciation for true beauty. Heathen.

jobob
10-18-2004, 05:30 PM
Your heathen friend would really like the Brooks saddle I have on it at the moment - it's the kind with springs so it's a small tank, weighs almost twice as much as the un-sprung one, oy.

Since this is a sleek racing ma-chine (or as close as I'm going to get to one for the forseeable future, heh) maybe I'll splurge on one of the "svelter" Brooks saddle models ... as if I haven't splurged enough already, yeesh.

I see the ACTC is doing another time trial at Guadalupe Creek this Sunday, maybe I should take Dusty around and see if I can break my current (er, only) record of 17.9 mph avg over 11 miles, woo woo.

That assumes I survive the graduation ride the day before, complete with the climb to Gilroy Hot Springs and the attack of the tarantulas. Heh, that's one way to make me climb fast, sick a tarantula on me*.

- Jo Speed Demon :rolleyes:

(* Janet, DON'T YOU DARE ...)

Veronica
10-18-2004, 05:44 PM
Ahh... fenders. I put mine back on last night. Rain shall not keep me from commuting to work on Fluffy. ;)

V.

snapdragen
10-18-2004, 06:30 PM
Originally posted by jobob
Your heathen friend would really like the Brooks saddle I have on it at the moment - it's the kind with springs so it's a small tank, weighs almost twice as much as the un-sprung one, oy.

You should've seen him when a mutual friend showed up with his new carbon/ti/god knows what Serotta - with a Brooks saddle! To quote Tommy - ""I'm old, I can afford an obscenly expensive bike, and I'm gonna be comfortable on it!!" Thought Bob's head was gonna explode!
Tommy also likes the big 'ole Carradice (sp?) bags.

That assumes I survive the graduation ride the day before, complete with the climb to Gilroy Hot Springs and the attack of the tarantulas. Heh, that's one way to make me climb fast, sick a tarantula on me*.
- Jo Speed Demon :rolleyes:
(* Janet, DON'T YOU DARE ...)

The tarantula's are at the top........at the rest stop. Wouldn't want y'all to hang around for too long :D

Karen London
10-19-2004, 11:18 AM
what a beauty! I am sooooo jealous. To hear that it is "old" Rivendell makes it all the more special. We need to support Rivendell because it's not always easy for them and from this you can see they are such artists.

CorsairMac
10-19-2004, 01:13 PM
what a beautiful bike jobob....and how lucky you are! I'd say an all-round marvelous birthday! Ride her long and well my friend!

fasteryet
10-19-2004, 02:48 PM
What a beauty. Happy birthday and many happy years of riding!

jobob
10-19-2004, 04:49 PM
Thanks so much, everyone ! <blush>

Sad to say, I haven't ridden her much yet, as AG mentioned the Rainy Season officially started the moment I took possession of the bike :rolleyes: . And I'm just not familiar enough with her to take her slogging out in the rain (that's my excuse and I'm sticking with it !).

I plan to take Friday off from work if there's a break in the rain, hopefully then I'll be able to take her out on something resembling a real ride.

Adventure Girl
10-20-2004, 08:00 AM
Hey, Jobob:

I thought that "Pokey" referred to YOU, not your old bike. Now that you have Dusty, what is to become of your once-beloved Pokey?:( :eek: :confused:

Just my 2 cents, but I think "Just call me Pokey" is a better quote line than "likes cheese w. her whine." But of course, this comes from someone who doesn't even have a quote... Hmmm:cool:

Trek420
10-20-2004, 08:04 AM
Hey Jobob

New bike, new tagline. How about "eat my dust"?;)

jobob
10-20-2004, 08:17 AM
Originally I thought I might sell Pokey <gasp> once I had Dusty all set up the way I like ...

hold off Janet I'm not through ! :p

but now I'm thinking Dusty is going to be my fair-weather "show-off" bike and Pokey is going to be my all-season trusty go-everywhere companion. How can I part with Pokey anyhow????

Part of the logic behind that is, well, Dusty doesn't really have the tire clearance I had hoped for to put larger tires on along w. fenders - with the fenders as they were originally installed, I couldn't even fit the 28 mm Ruffy Tuffies on her that I use for general purpose schlepping about. That said, the original fender installation, ummm, left something to be desired, so maybe once we put the fenders back on (Lee's very good w. fenders) I might be pleasantly surprised.

But who knows - I've only changed my mind about this a half-dozen times this week :rolleyes:

- Jo, oh I'm still mighty pokey, no fear there

Adventure Girl
10-20-2004, 08:33 AM
Originally posted by Trek420
Hey Jobob
New bike, new tagline. How about "eat my dust"?;)OOOHHHH!!!! Good one!!:eek: :D :p :) :cool: :eek: :cool: :D

jobob
10-20-2004, 09:43 AM
But of course, this comes from someone who doesn't even have a quote... Hmmm

wellll, "Senior Member" does have that aura of knowledge and respectability about it

:D

CorsairMac
10-20-2004, 11:33 AM
maybe "eat my pink dust?" - just a thought!