PDA

View Full Version : Swim hair

teigyr
08-24-2007, 05:11 PM
This might not belong here but I figured everyone here swims.

I have shoulder length thick hair that tends to be dry. Between cutting a lot off and different products, it's to where it is/was healthy. Then, I started swimming.

I know I need to get my hair damp, put conditioner in it, and put the swim cap on. I'm not sure how to get all my hair tucked up in there. I'm experimenting but it also seems like water gets under the cap anyway. I am noticing that my hair is MUCH dryer though I am trying to rinse it right away and if I'm continuing a workout in the gym, I leave more conditioner in it. My hair is curly, curly hair is like that.

Does anyone have any good tips? Would braiding help? It is so difficult to get the cap over every bit of hair, is this normal?

Thanks! You'd think these things would be easy but apparently I am challenged :o

Tri Girl
08-24-2007, 06:04 PM
I don't have any tips for you. My hair is also shoulder length- but so thin you can almost see my scalp. :eek: Just kidding- but it's pretty fine so I just put it in a ponytail and cram the tail in the cap. I have no trouble getting it all in there- in fact- I might have some extra room for your hair, too.

Braiding might work or a ponytail.

Surely someone has some good tips!

VeloVT
08-24-2007, 06:34 PM
Not sure how to help with dry hair (my hair, which is stick straight but normally very swingy & healthy, was getting pretty dry this spring when I was swimming more), but Speedo does make a "long hair" swim cap:

http://www.swimoutlet.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=3620&Click=310393

They're no longer carrying it on their website (www.speedousa.com), so it's possible they're discontinuing it... However I've seen it at a local sports shop, and it does seem to have extra room.

limewave
08-24-2007, 06:36 PM
I have SOOOO Much hair. Everyone jokes about how swim caps weren't made to stretch that far. I do two braids and then fold them up with some pins. If I knew how to french braid, I would do that.

Starfish
08-24-2007, 06:41 PM
I would also say, don't just dampen your hair, get it soaking, wringing wet. The idea is to have it absorb absolutely as much water as possible before hitting the pool water, so that it can't absorb any more water (and the chlorine it takes with it) at all.

I always put my cap on in the locker room...I fill the cap with water, hang my head upside down, and pull it on with my head upside down (with a big sluice of water coming out!). Then I just shove all the rest up inside the cap, some to either side.

I have neck-to-shoulder length hair that is what I call naturally messy. Sometimes it dries in curls, sometimes in frizz, sometime waves. What it wants on any given day, it does. I'm just along for the ride. :p

teigyr
08-24-2007, 07:23 PM
Thank you. These are things nobody tells you!!! My hair stylist said to use conditioner under the cap. The first day I did only that only to find my hair soaked after. So the next day I made my hair dampish and put a lot of conditioner in. My hair got dryer. Very wet hair makes sense :D

It isn't that my hair is long but it's thick so I get the whispy things at the nape of my neck. I simply can't get those buggers to tuck in. That and the hair by my ears. You don't put the cap over your ears so I guess my hairline extends out.

Starfish, I feel it with the hair. I am owned by hair that does what it wants. When people say things like "I wish I had your hair" or when they get perms, I want them to live with my hair one day! I've come to terms with it but at least you can brush straight hair.

I'll play with braids too. Maybe I could be a shorter haired Pippi Longstocking! It seems like braids would only expose the outer part of the braided hair, if that makes sense.

Krys
08-24-2007, 07:24 PM
My hair is as well, a little longer than shoulder length thick, and pretty curly, but I usually straighten it so that makes my hair even worse considerig i've been a swimmer since I was 9, But I have found that Getting mine really wet and putting conditioner in it does help, although I must admit i'm sort of half hearted when doing it. I usually dont and just use a really good shampoo and conditioner after I swim.
But as for putting it up, I put mine in a bun like pony tail. then I turn my cap inside out and fill it with water then dump it on my head then just adjust it and stuff the rest of my hair that didn't go in, but its usually not much.. I dont know if that makes sence but that was the easiest way I found during my swim team years, unless i have a friend swimming with me then i just have them help me.

Starfish
08-25-2007, 12:35 PM
You don't put the cap over your ears so I guess my hairline extends out.

I do. I pull it down just above my eyebrows, over the tops of my ears, etc.

Tri Girl
08-25-2007, 01:48 PM

Me, too! I like it to cover my ears- keeps all the sound out and makes me more calm. ;)

teigyr
08-25-2007, 01:56 PM

That is good to know too. This has been such a learning experience - I couldn't figure out about the longer parts either, the pictures made no sense. I think the swim clinic tomorrow night will be good for me but I'm worried about seeming like such a dork! It's strange to know nothing, even these little things that seem so simple.

Krys, I straighten my hair sometimes. The thing that prevents me doing it more is the fact that when I work out, I sweat and therefore I have to wash my hair every day. The straightening would take too long and would dry out my hair too much if I was doing it daily. How do you get around the not washing thing or do you just deal with straightening it all the time?

Krys
08-27-2007, 08:22 AM
:) See, I dont put my ears in my cap, I think its too uncomfortable but it looks funny when they are sticking out so when i'm out of the water I put my cap over my ears but when I am about to start I pull my ears out. and when I have my ears in I can't keep my goggles on comfortably.
yes I straighten my hair almost everyday, sometimes when i'm being lazy I don't but i've always done it so its not too bad anymore, yes I do wash it usually everyday, because when i sweat it goes gross too. and as for not completely killing my hair I have some pretty good products that help A LOT.
:) Dont worry about feeling like a dork, everyone else is self consious about caps and suits and everything else that no one really pays attention to how anyone else looks. So dont feel silly and everyone is usually more than willing to give tips while you are there!!!

Kimmyt
08-27-2007, 12:52 PM
I just put the tips of my ears under the cap. If I put the cap too far over my ears I've noticed that I get water in my ears that hangs around. When just the tops are covered the water moves in (and out) more freely.

As for hair, you won't ever get all those wispies in. The best you can do is try and get most of it out, at least for me it seems.

teigyr
08-27-2007, 02:45 PM
Well I learned I put my cap on sideways (the side should have been the front) and when I tried to put it BACK on the right way, I couldn't get it because it kept slipping off due to my hair being wet and maybe too much conditioner. The coach was really nice, I guess everyone's dorky at some point in their life and she sees lots of it :o

I guess I'm so used to being expected to do things the right way (and way back when I ran, the coach yelled as opposed to instructing) it's nice to have someone patiently show you. Am liking this, will definitely continue with swim instruction.

Trek420
08-27-2007, 02:55 PM
I must be doing this all wrong :eek: :cool: No swim cap, nothing special ... just goggles and I have very short hair. I just get in, swim, exit pool, dry off and go home. Take a shower at home and use conditioner there.

Normally I don't use conditioner as my hair's not dry but after a swim I'll use it. I'm pretty low maintenance that way :rolleyes:

Kimmyt
08-27-2007, 03:45 PM
Trek, is your hair like buzz short? I started using a cap this year, but I just put it on over my hair. I used to swim with my hair just pulled back but with Masters class 2x a week I figured I should find out why everyone else wore the caps. Surprisingly, they were awesome. They kept the little bits of wispies on my forehead from getting in my eyes, which I never really noticed until I used the cap. Plus, it kinda adds... bouyancy?... to your head, I dunno, but it's a cool feeling, and makes you feel faster even if you're not, because you really don't realize the drag a little bit of hair causes. Anyway, I don't think there's any one right way to do things, but like most stuff do do with crazy sports, everyone has their own way, you know??

teigyr
08-27-2007, 03:51 PM
They make you FASTER?? Oh sheesh, without the wetsuit or cap I'd be dragging :o I just worry about damage because my hair is dry by nature. Plus I have it salon-enhanced (um...assisting with covering the aging process AND assisting with the so-called natural beauty!) and I pay too much to mess with it. The products I use are good though.

Omg though, the pool swim coach told me a friend of hers is a diver for the Oceanic people. NOAA I think it is. Her job is to find bodies. She said if there is dismemberment, the one thing that will never float is the head.

Lovely. Don't think I didn't think about that in OW swim today!

The coach was supportive about the breathing on both sides thing too. She said everyone has a retarded side. I appreciate that thought-process. I think sometimes I have two :o