PDA

View Full Version : Hub on Wheels Boston ride

DebW
08-24-2007, 05:47 AM
Hub On Wheels,
September 23, 2007

Tour Boston like you've never done before – on your bike with no cars to get in your way. You'll ride over scenic pathways, colorful side streets and main roadways —including a car-free Storrow Drive! You can choose from a 25 or 45-mile loop. Either way, it's a great opportunity to see the city and meet people from all over Boston.

A group for my company is doing this, organized by a woman who's done it before and said it's well organized and a great way to see many parts of Boston. It's a fundraiser for the Boston Digital Bridge Foundation, which helps Boston Public School students get the technology and the skills they need to succeed in today's world. But you can do the ride for only the $40 registration fee.

DebW
09-23-2007, 11:00 AM
I did the 25 mile Hub on Wheels ride today. Great weather and magnficient scenery, through many parts of Boston I hadn't seen before. We started from Government Center and rode west on Storrow Drive, then down the Fenway to Jamaica Pond and the Arnold Arboretum. Then through Forest Hill Cemetary (no cars) and Franklin Park. The last 10 miles or so were along the waterfront, mostly on traffic-free paths, by the JFK Library and UMass. Really pretty down there, with beaches and sailboats right in Boston. Then along the piers and wharves in downtown and back to Govt. Center. A well-organized ride, well marked and controlled, nice rest stops. I rode with my friend who had her 4-year-old on a trailing bike, so it was a day for riding slowly and enjoying the scenery. Met Peter Mooney, the builder of my custom frame, and chatted with him a couple minutes as we rode.

Surlygirl
09-23-2007, 03:20 PM
Sounds like fun Deb. Wasn't it gorgeous today. I did the Major Taylor today on my home turf. DH did the century and I did the very hilly 25 mile route, though I actually ended up doing 30 because I rode to the start of the ride.
Glad you had a great day!