PDA

View Full Version : Crashed, survived, recovered, riding again!

invsblwmn
08-23-2007, 02:07 AM
I've been commuting by bike for about 1.5 years in Harrisburg, Pa. Snow was fun, lots of rain, but the biggest challenge is the people in their gas eaters. Last April while riding a shoulder at about 30 mph, a landscaping truck passed me on the left and then immediately turned right without signalling.

I saw the beginning of the turn, hit the brakes and broadsided him on the right side of his truck. My cannondale's handlebars with my hand got wedged under his backend. Feet were cleated in, he drug me upright about 20-30 feet when i finally got unwedged and bonked on my left elbow, feet popped out of the cleats.

Thank God for Pearl Gavia, for real. One tear in my pants, none in the coat, lots of bruises, separated shoulder, broken left pinky, nail came off, only blood was on the pinky and impact on the elbow(no bandaid even needed). The Sidis survived with only a slight scratch, phew(sad isn't it?). The helmet I would NEVER go without, my Bell alchera, phew.

I was so pumped and angry that I got up, stood on the front tire which was now perpendicular to the handlebar, pulled hard, shoulder popped back in and straighted that dang tire.

Seven people witnessed the accident, no one got the plates. Cops investigated two landscaping companies, no charges filed. Get this, though, my CAR insurance paid for my medical bills and gave my a "pain and suffering" check, PA law, go figure... No deductible, no increases in costs to me.
Anyway, Got on the bike, finished (swearing the whole way)the remaining seven mile commute to the hospital where I work, got sent to the ER by my department manager, and finished the day (with a ride home, I was hurting by then).

About 2 weeks later the sling came off, the finger nail started showing signs of returning, and one week later, back on the bike, after $600 in repairs.

I have had many near misses riding in the city(one not so much a miss, but a hit:) ), but I wouldn't trade it for the world. It is my sanity, my breath... I stay very alert, always look for a way out, then breathe.

Ride on.

divingbiker
08-23-2007, 03:09 AM
Wow. You are a tough woman. I would have taken the day off...or maybe two. Glad you recovered and aren't afraid to keep commuting by bike.

My bike commute is a highlight of my day.

Kalidurga
08-23-2007, 06:08 AM
That is an amazing story. As DB said, you're damned tough! Very glad that you're ok.
I stay very alert, always look for a way out, then breathe. Keep it up!

And I may need to move to PA, if their laws create such great insurance coverage.

TrekJeni
08-23-2007, 06:38 AM
Holy Crap!:eek: :eek: :eek:

You are unbelievable! You rock! I don't think I would have been able to react like that, although you never know what adrenaline will do to you!
(okay - I'm quite positive I would have taken a few days off work)

Go girl!

Jeni

mimitabby
08-23-2007, 06:59 AM
wow, what a story! welcome to TE and keep riding!

northstar
08-23-2007, 07:10 AM
Oh my God! I got sick to my stomach just reading that! You are amazing. So glad you weren't hurt worse.

lph
08-23-2007, 07:10 AM
Wow!

It takes guts to get back on the bike and finish your ride, but a lot more guts to do it again after all the adrenaline has gone away. Well done, and welcome to TE. We can trade horror stories all day long :)

LBTC
08-23-2007, 07:14 AM
invs, You rock!!! Sending loads of butterflies to keep you totally visible even to drivers who aren't paying much attention!!

Hugs and butterflies,
~T~

invsblwmn
08-24-2007, 01:15 AM
Your warm comments and welcome gave me chills. People in the Burg don't get me and the commuting thing. It appears in this message board I have finally found a community where I am not the odd one out. Thanks.
BTW when I got to the orthopedic doc who had heard about my ordeal from hospital rumors (which make the National Inquirer look slow in sharing information) his first question was "Where do you go to church? Cause I need to pray to your God."

One other perk of working in a hospital is you get in to appointment schedules next day without even calling. :) (Co workers made my appointment without asking and just told me I was seeing the shoulder guy the next day!) Love it!

PA law and insurance-if you have ANY injury as a result of a car, the auto insurance pays first. We are a no fault state, so with the hit and run, MY car insurance picked up the tab and treated it as a hit and run. They called me and made the pain and suffering offer, I didn't even know that would happen. Way cool to State Farm.

Again, I am so grateful to have found you all and look forward to reading your stories and comments. Of course I will be looking to buy clothes and stuff here too.:cool: Ride on! Dawn

lph
08-24-2007, 02:48 AM
If you haven't found it already, you really, really need to read this thread, it's brilliant :D

http://forums.teamestrogen.com/showthread.php?t=16794

Mr. Bloom
08-24-2007, 04:21 AM
I'm reading this thinking it's a scene from an Indiana Jones movie! That's amazing! Glad you weren't hurt more seriously but do wish the driver had been apprehended.

tjf9
08-24-2007, 07:56 AM
Wow. You are amazing. Thanks for the reminder to be really careful out there. I hope I never have to be in that situation.

Voodoo Sally
08-24-2007, 08:58 AM
Your bravery is truling inspiring. Way to take your crash by the horns and say to it, "I am not going to let this get me down!". I hope I remember your example the next time I get into a scrape while bike commuting.