PDA

View Full Version : Superfeet in Cycling shoes?

VeloVT
08-21-2007, 07:05 AM
So, I just got a new pair of bike shoes (new as in, UPS just came to the door 30 minutes ago). They are Sidi Zeta Carbon's and I'm pleased with the fit, at least the out-of-the-box, sans cleats, off the bike fit.

I also have a pair of Superfeet Berry insoles sitting around gathering dust. I tried running in them a few times this spring while recovering from an injury, but they weren't right for me for running (too noticeably stiff and had a tendency to give me hot spots).

Seems like a lot of folks use insoles in their bike shoes. And every time I've tried on bike shoes at the local shops, they've suggested the possibility of adding in better insoles.

So, what would be the benefits of putting my Superfeets into my bike shoes (other than reducing clutter in my house :) )? I should mention that I've had no significant foot/knee issues while riding. How many of you use special insoles in your cycling shoes? Why and do you feel it helps? Anyone use insoles who didn't first have some sort of discomfort issue? Anyone try insoles in their cycling shoes and hate them? Wondering if there's a good reason for me to try and what I should expect.

Thanks!

Dianyla
08-21-2007, 01:00 PM
I have very high arches and tend to get forefoot pain. Putting superfeet insoles into my Sidis has helped a lot - it keeps the foot more rigid by supporting the arch. When I don't have arch support, my feet slide around and flex around inside the shoe a lot more.

Torrilin
08-21-2007, 06:19 PM
If you do not have foot problems, insoles are (IMO) a bad idea.

Insoles are great if you have problematic feet and use them correctly. All sorts of problematic feet out there, so that's not a huge if. Using insoles correctly is easy if you think about it. An insole will add extra thickness to the inside of your shoe. How much thickness is added (and where!) depends on the insole. This means that a slipon shoe (like oh, a loafer) won't behave right, unless you purchased it to go with a specific insole. A closed shoe (hiking boot, cycling shoe, oxford) retrofits more easily. Tying a closed shoe super-tight is a good way to give yourself more trouble, so don't *do* that :D.

Some closed shoes do not have an appropriate heel cup for an insole no matter what you do. Some closed shoes have a very flat, close to the sole vamp, which is bad for an awful lot of people. If a shoe fits badly and you add an insole, chances are the fit problems will get highlighted in a big way.

If an insole makes your feet hurt more, it's not doing it's job and can damage you. A good insole makes your feet feel at least a bit better right away, and it'll stay feeling good for a long time.

KnottedYet
08-21-2007, 08:24 PM
Over-the-counter insoles are neutral footbeds, so you just need to pick the one that works for you. There are plenty out there, so don't think you have to chose just one. If it doesn't work for you, take it back to the store. (if it's a Superfeet, you have 60 days to return it. If your store won't take it back, contact Superfeet directly.)

Berry Superfeet are nice for biking, because they have a fairly juicy metatarsal button built into them and a softer met weightbearing surface. They are midway between the green (very stablilzing) and the blue (softer and more flexible) Superfeets.

Bear in mind that Superfeet modified specifically for biking problems/issues should have forefoot additions: probably a medial forefoot wedge of 3, 4, or 5 degrees, and likely a real met button. (much beefier than the one in Berry Superfeet) Met buttons should be placed after you've been wearing the insoles a while and have developed a wear pattern. When you get into the hefty met buttons, individual placement patterns are very important. (My biking Superfeet are Greens, with met buttons and forefoot wedges added. I need a LOT of firm support and a very deep heelcup.)

Insoles shouldn't drastically change the fit of your shoes, just be sure to take out the sockliner the shoes came with before you put the insole in. If your PT posts your insoles, that's a different ball of wax. I save my older, more broken down (and therefore thinner) insoles for my slip-on shoes, because you can't adjust the tightness of a slip-on so manufacturers tend to make them on a snug last.

Sockliners tend to be like the saddles on new bikes: no-one actually expects the person to keep the darn thing, so they don't spend the money to put a good one on, cuz what's good for one person won't be good for the next. Insoles are incredibly individual, just like bike saddles. When you find one you like, go for it! If you try one (and always take at least 2 pair of shoes with when insole shopping) and hate it, DON'T BUY IT! It won't feel better later!

There are insoles for high-heels, dress shoes, casual, sport, and so on.

The only thing I really don't recommend are the heat-molded OTC's. If anything is being custom molded to your feet, please let it be done by a licensed Orthotist. (which I am not, and know it!) If you need to find an orthotist, ask your doc or PT who they recommend. A really good orthotist will watch you walk, make you do functional activities, etc in their lab. They will mold your feet and then make you orthotics based on what they have seen. They will *also* let you come back for re-fits. And they will try to bill your insurance. (many insurances fight paying for orthotics, which drives me nuts)

Velobambina
08-21-2007, 11:47 PM
At Knot's suggestion, I put the Superfeet berry insoles in my Sidi doms and am very, very pleased. Makes a huge difference in terms of comfort.

Thanks, Mz. Knot, for all your wonderful suggestions!!

KnottedYet
08-22-2007, 06:01 AM
Running vs. Cycling

Liza, even if your Berry feet were wrong for you running, give them a try cycling. The loading patterns for the two activities are very different and what might be too much insole for running could be just right for biking. (like stiff cycling shoes are too much for running, but peachy on the bike)

At the very least, your Berry could help keep your hindfoot lined up for more efficient power transfer to the forefoot.

If they feel awful in your bike shoes, don't bike in them either.

Trek420
08-22-2007, 06:11 AM
At Knot's suggestion, I put the Superfeet berry insoles in my Sidi doms and am very, very pleased. Makes a huge difference in terms of comfort.

Thanks, Mz. Knot, for all your wonderful suggestions!!

I tried the berry in in my Sidis and am very very pleased with them. Unfortunately I can't wear Sidis so have to give them up :( (anyone wear 38's?) but the Superfeet berry I love.

short cut sally
08-22-2007, 07:15 AM
Thanks Liza for giving me another option for my burning feet. I had never heard of these inserts before so I just did a google on them. I went to road shoes/pedals as I was told it would reduce my burning sensation to my left foot-bigger area of pedal dispersement vs. smaller spd dispersment. Had the specialized inserts which initially helped in my mtb. shoes, is not helping in my Sidi's at all-even bought new ones in case the old ones were worn. Doesn't matter if my sock is thick, thin, or if my shoe is tight or loose..actually, it just occurs later in the ride if I wear thicker socks and my shoes are looser.

VeloVT
08-22-2007, 12:26 PM
Thanks everyone (and thanks Knot). This is helpful. I think I"ll give them a try.

boy in a kilt
08-22-2007, 06:06 PM
Thanks Liza for giving me another option for my burning feet. I had never heard of these inserts before so I just did a google on them. I went to road shoes/pedals as I was told it would reduce my burning sensation to my left foot-bigger area of pedal dispersement vs. smaller spd dispersment. Had the specialized inserts which initially helped in my mtb. shoes, is not helping in my Sidi's at all-even bought new ones in case the old ones were worn. Doesn't matter if my sock is thick, thin, or if my shoe is tight or loose..actually, it just occurs later in the ride if I wear thicker socks and my shoes are looser.

I'll give you yet another option. But first a little background. I actually got fitted for running shoes once and the guy fitting me said "you have size 11 arches on a size 10 foot." In other words, I have very high, very long arches with insteps to match.

I've tried all manner of cycling shoes but ran into the same problem. If I fit them for length and width (I have normal feet otherwise), I had feet problems because circulation was being cut off elsewhere. Doing a century with numb, burning feet registers pretty low on my fun-o-meter. I have the same problem to a lesser extent with other shoes.

So my wiser half convinced me to drop the cash on a pair of Sidi Megas. Basically, they are designed for "higher volume" feet, meaning those of us whose feet are wider or taller than the norm.

Much better. It wasn't sunshine and rainbows better, but my toes don't get anywhere near as numb as they used to.

Dianyla
08-22-2007, 06:42 PM
I actually got fitted for running shoes once and the guy fitting me said "you have size 11 arches on a size 10 foot." In other words, I have very high, very long arches with insteps to match.
Yes, I've got the same thing. My arch length is for a women's size 10, but my total foot length is about 9. Yeah, I have stubby little toes. Good fitters understand this and know what they're doing. When I'm seeing a new fitter I tend to keep my mouth shut and observe the shoe fitter to test them. If they don't notice this detail, I don't take them seriously. :rolleyes:

And yep... Sidi Mega's for me as well. If only they'd make winter boots in the Mega width.

boy in a kilt
08-22-2007, 06:46 PM
And yep... Sidi Mega's for me as well. If only they'd make winter boots in the Mega width.

If only. I do ok with nice wool or wool blend socks and neoprene booties but Sidi Winter booties would be heaven. Particularly on those cold, rainy northwest winter rides.

KnottedYet
08-22-2007, 08:18 PM
Yes, I've got the same thing. My arch length is for a women's size 10, but my total foot length is about 9. Yeah, I have stubby little toes. Good fitters understand this and know what they're doing. When I'm seeing a new fitter I tend to keep my mouth shut and observe the shoe fitter to test them. If they don't notice this detail, I don't take them seriously. :rolleyes:

Me three. (except it's more 9.5 arch and 8.5 foot) Gotta admit, though, that our stubby little toes are *cute*!

I tend to buy for my arch and width, rather than for my length. Keens and Chacos, though, I can buy for length and they fit great. Now if only either made bike shoes.

So far I'm happy with men's Specialized Tahos. Guess I'll be checking Sidi Megas one of these days!

Dianyla
08-22-2007, 08:34 PM
Gotta admit, though, that our stubby little toes are *cute*!

I tend to buy for my arch and width, rather than for my length.
Aren't they cute, though? :D I'd post a pic but... eh, might excite some internet weirdos out there.

Until I figured out that my toes are unusually short, I always used to be so :confused: when people would talk about their toes getting jammed by their shoes. I'm thinking "How does that happen, anyway?!"

The Megas might be overkill for you, actually. I find Keens and most Mens shoes to be too narrow. Those shoes run around a D/E width, from what I understand. I something more in the EE/EEEE department. :eek:

boy in a kilt
08-23-2007, 08:38 PM
I'm noticing a pattern here. The Keens rock. I have three pair.

Uh, and two pair of dress shoes (one military, one not), two pair of running shoes, two pair of hiking boots, a pair of semi-plastic climbing boots, rock climbing shoes. My Chacos, teva flip flops (10 years old), two pair of cycling shoes...

I have a lot of shoes. Pretty sure I have more than SGTigerBoss.

And yet, I only wear two of the keens (preferably matching), my combat boots (work and in uniform) and the running shoes.