PDA

View Full Version : rear rack on a road bike?

Somerville
08-19-2007, 05:34 PM
Hi -

I'm a new road bike owner ... Trek Pilot 1.2 WSD ... and I'm wondering about racks / panniers on road bikes. Is that taboo - like putting a kick stand on a road bike? More importantly, I don't want to add too much extra weight since the thing I love most about this bike is how light it is. On th other hand, I'm riding with a backpack and I kind of hate it. Actually, my lower back kind of hates it. I'd love to lighten the load on my back without messing up my bike. Any suggestions?

Thanks!
- Betsy

7rider
08-19-2007, 06:03 PM
Does the bike have eyelets for a rack?
If you want one, and it helps the kind of riding you do, and the bike can accept one, then put a rack on it!
If you want to do rides light and fast, without a rack, look for a rack that can clamp onto your seatpost (assuming you don't have a carbon seatpost, as I don't think you can put a rack on one of those) that you can quickly remove for "rack free riding."

makbike
08-19-2007, 06:11 PM
If it will make you more comfortable and the your bike can accept a rack I vote to do it! I have an old touring bike that came with a rack and I love it. Keep in mind weight has never been an issue given my bike tips the scales at about 30 lbs so the light weight rack did not add a lot of weight to my "tank." I also have a kick stand on my bike and love it as well. Again, weight is not the issue convenience and comfort are, at least for me.

Zen
08-19-2007, 06:56 PM
The Pilot 1.2 has a carbon seatpost.
I have a seatbag that I stuffed a pair of pants in today.
how much stuff do you need to carry?

boy in a kilt
08-19-2007, 07:03 PM
I don't believe the Trek 1.2 has eyelets for a rack.

You could do a seatpost rack, but with a carbon fiber seatpost, it could be problematic. I had a friend who put one on hers and did a light loaded tour with no problems. However, CF is a little unpredictable and when it fails, it fails catastrophically with little warning.

If you don't have a ton of stuff to pack in, you could try the velo-orange Ostrich or carradice saddle bags.

withm
08-19-2007, 08:59 PM
Trek offers a carbon fiber seat post that is reinforced with aluminum inside. If you get that one, then you can put a seat post rack on it but there is still a limit of 25# for the rack. I got one so when I ride to work I could ditch the backpack and carry my stuff more easily. At first I took the rack off for recreational rides, but it's too much bother. Much more convenient to just leave it on. Do I care what other cyclists think? Not hardly!

Triskeliongirl
08-20-2007, 02:33 AM
My husband commutes on his carbon trek5500 with a carradice sqr slim bag, but he changed out the carbon seatpost for a thompson aluminum one (also light weight). He also removes the bag clamp (3 oz) for club riding. Another friend does the same, but has two seatpost/saddles, one that is aluminum for carrying the carradice bag and one that is carbon for fast club rides, and he just switches them. I also commute with this bag (just google carradice sqr slim), but keep it always on my commuter bike. It is the lightest option I know for commuting, and will hold a laptop plus some clothes, lunch, etc.

Torrilin
08-20-2007, 07:27 AM
My bike is how I get around. So it's got a rack. It's got a kickstand. It's got lights. All those "uncool" things that add extra weight but make it better for getting around :).

Since your seatpost is carbon, a handlebar bag or big saddlebag might work better than trying to go for a seatpost rack. It can be really easy to overload a seatpost rack, and they get exciting if they're overloaded.

If you find yourself wanting to do a lot of utility biking, you may want to get a bike that can take a rack and fenders, and keep the pilot for going *zoom*.

mimitabby
08-20-2007, 08:50 AM
If you can get it on, put it on!

People on road bikes need to carry stuff too.
Now if you're racing, that's different.

invsblwmn
08-25-2007, 12:05 AM
I put a rear rack on my cannondale and don't know how I commuted without it. It was a pain in the neck to do, took about 3 hours and about 500 4 letter words(should have been 15 minutes and maybe 2 four letter words). BUT trust me, I use it every day and my back loves me and now I don't DRIVE to work every weekend to dump my work clothes and food. I commute it daily! Good luck!

cosc
08-25-2007, 07:53 AM
Somerville, I think you should put a rack on if you have a lot you need to carry and your bike is equipped with eyelets. My bianchi road bike has a rack I put on for tours even though there was no eyelets on the seat post stays. My DH put old tube casing to protect paint-with tarp clips to screw bike rack into. Most all the weight is on the bottom dropout eyelets. Why would a bike be made with only one set of eyelets? Dorkiest of the dork, but I love having my house with me if I need it on the road and my back free.