PDA

View Full Version : No-Notice ride: Sunday 19 August

KnottedYet
08-19-2007, 12:10 PM
I'm still in my pj's, but the rain has stopped. Ground is still wet. Get out your fenders for a "Soggy Bottom Ride!"

In about 30 minutes I'm heading out with Crow; either to Log Boom and out toward RedHook, or just heading toward the Edmonds Waterfront via the ferry bike route.

Edit: ok, now I'm eating some lunch. Kinda forgot about that part. So update on the ride time: 2:00 ish. Or maybe 2:30 ish.

Starfish
08-19-2007, 12:22 PM
Man, if I was over there, I'd be there. I just looked outside over here in PA and there is actually a lot of blue sky and sunshine after the pouring rain this morning. I'm gonna get out and do an easy flat ride out to the spit.

mimitabby
08-19-2007, 04:04 PM
well, I had the sagged ride. My husband is such a goof.
First i rode to the supermarket to buy elbow macaroni. He said if i bought it, he'd make mac and cheese. to my surprise as I pulled up to the store, there he was with groceries (and the macaroni)

Next I went to the library and found a movie to watch "Of human bondage"
I've never seen it.

Next I went to Daniel Smith Art supply store where i figured i could buy something little.

And who had just finished painting his VERY FIRST watercolor at Daniel Smith??
none other than Raleighdon (remember folks, he can't ride his bike)

So with Mr Spender of the Family in tow, I bought several things too large to carry on my bike (foam board, mat paper)

then as official sag driver, he showed me a less bumpy ride than spokane street all the way from 1st to Airport way; and I rode the rest of the way home, yet again popping my chain off because THERE ARE TOO MANY GEARS on my bike!!!

14.2 miles. There were no snacks.

East Hill
08-19-2007, 04:19 PM
Well, I decided to go for the non-sagged ride, although first I accompanied Mr. East Hill to Fred Meyer, because I was checking out an estate sale on the way to the store...I bought six very nice dahlias to plant because although I'd gotten all manner of dahlia tubers in the spring, for some reason most of them did not come up :mad: .

After mulling over the weather (it was still raining) I headed out anyway. I did my 13 odd miles around the reservoir. I was very muddy and wet when I got home :D .

I'm now eating my steak and mushroom pie :p .

East Hill

makbike
08-19-2007, 04:34 PM
I woke up at 4:30 a.m. - what I wouldn't give for a good night of sleep (haven't really had one since back in May when I got sick). Really, I would just like to return to my normal sleep cycle which always meant sleeping in on the weekends. Oh well life could be much worse. Actually, I read for about an hour and fell back to sleep until a little after 7. Whe I crawled ouf of bed the skies were gray but no threat of rain. I took care of all my critters, ate breakfast and decided to take my recumbent out for a spin. The first 13 miles or so were great thanks to the wonderful tailwind I was blessed with as I explored some of my favorite roads. However, that blessed tailwind became an evil hand when I turn to head home - the headwind was awful and I really struggled to make it back to my house. I was exhausted, felt like I had just finished a century. Now that is sad for I only rode 25 miles. I have not been on this bike enough this year and so the muscles and strength just are not there. I am still amazed at the difference in riding my recumbent and my diamond frame - it is unbelievable. The ride was pretty one and I watched several Kestrels enjoying the wind currents as they flew about over the fields they call home.

I spent the afternoon putting a pannier rack on my recumbent. Thank goodness the LBS in Louisville had some extra "J" hooks so I could make this rack work. After a couple of trips to the local hardware store for new bolts and new nuts I was able to successfully get the rack on my bike. Now that I have a rack I can use this bike to commute to school. This in turns means when I leave school I'll be on my Giro and just maybe I can acquire my "bent legs" before the season ends. More importantly, maybe I'll get close to the goal I set on Jan 1 - 1500 miles on my Giro. Sadly, as of today I only have 325 miles - I have a lot of riding to do!

Starfish
08-19-2007, 07:26 PM
I got in 11 miles today for a short little waterfront ride. The sun ended up coming out after a lot of rain yesterday and today. I saw a tandem recumbent. I think that is the first time I've seen that.

teigyr
08-19-2007, 08:02 PM
No ride today, unfortunately. We went to Boeing Family Day (joyous for me, not so fun for DH) thanks to the rain.

Though any NW people who want to ride tomorrow or tues, let me know. I'll be riding one or both of those days.

East Hill
08-20-2007, 07:04 AM
Did someone say Tuesday? I'll go for that!

Although, if Tuesday is anything like so far this morning, I don't know how far we would get.

East Hill

mimitabby
08-20-2007, 07:06 AM
Tuesday: wear wet suits and flippers

East Hill
08-20-2007, 11:19 AM
Let me just say that I am really glad that I do not have to use I-5 to commute :D .

I do feel, however, for those of you who do need to commute :eek: .

Obviously no paving yesterday, none today, and tomorrow's not looking too good either at this rate.

I do have mudguards and a nice rain shell, and I'm from England, so I think I'm ok with the rain as long as it's not a sixty mile ride!

East Hill

mimitabby
08-20-2007, 12:21 PM
oh, and they were saying they were ahead. I too am glad that the only thing my commute has to do with I-5 is that i go over it on a bridge!