PDA

View Full Version : You know you're officially a bike commuter when...

RoseC
08-18-2007, 05:28 PM
You go on a trail ride on the weekend which involves driving the car to the trail head, and when you get home at the end of the way and pull into your driveway, for a split second you think "Ohmygoshwhere'smycar!?!?!!" before you realize "You're in it, you knucklehead!"

:D

KnottedYet
08-18-2007, 06:46 PM
... you gaze longingly at potential routes out your bus window.

... you know exactly how much your bike *should* wiggle in the bus rack.

... you carry your bike commuter map with you everywhere, and use it to give car drivers directions.

... there are some things you only know how to get to by bike. "well, RedHook is just off the Sammamish trail." "Theo Chocolates is just off the Burke Gilman trail." "TiCycles is right next to the trail."

... you buy food for your big dog in little bags, because they fit better in your Ortlieb panniers.

... you wish you could pop your car up onto the sidewalk and take a break when traffic gets hairy.

kfergos
08-20-2007, 05:34 AM
...you don't have the foggiest idea what gas prices are these days (and you like it that way!).

...you don't pack your lunch in Tupperware, because it bruises your spine.

...you long ago accepted that your work clothes will have more wrinkles than a shar-pei.

...you assess the shoulder width, hilliness, and road conditions from a bicyclist's perspective even when in a car.

...you daydream about your commute home during the workday!

bouncybouncy
08-20-2007, 06:58 AM
-- you wobble your steering wheel while sitting at a red light as if track-standing in your CAR!!!

***yes this is personal experience!:o

mimitabby
08-20-2007, 07:05 AM
you have three complete outfits in your locker at work.
You have two pairs of shoes at work.

when you drive your car to work people ask you where your bike is.

coyote
08-20-2007, 03:23 PM
--- Get dressed in the morning and put the bike shoes on forgetting that you are taking the car.

Dianyla
08-20-2007, 04:56 PM
...When you need to drive the car one day for a specific errand, and realize that the tags expired last month!! :eek:

lph
08-21-2007, 01:09 AM
-- you wobble your steering wheel while sitting at a red light as if track-standing in your CAR!!!

***yes this is personal experience!:o

Oh, very nice! :p

RoseC
08-21-2007, 07:44 AM
... you carry your bike commuter map with you everywhere, and use it to give car drivers directions.

... there are some things you only know how to get to by bike.

Oh, I have *so* done these!

...you assess the shoulder width, hilliness, and road conditions from a bicyclist's perspective even when in a car.

I was gonna come back and post that one, but ya beat me to it!

...you have to drive to work one day for some reason, and find you have nothing much to wear - all your favorite clothes are in your locker at work

...you do much of your clothes / household items shopping at thrift stores and hate to pay more than five or six dollars for a blouse or a set of dishes...but think nothing of saving up over a hundred to pay for panniers or lights, or spending seventy or eighty on a saddle. :D

tjf9
08-21-2007, 10:22 AM
...you get dressed for work on a morning when you're not riding and realize you have no work appropriate shoes at home and have to wear flip flops

Voodoo Sally
08-21-2007, 03:08 PM
You drive the car to work one day, and it feels like you're driving the living room couch with the house around it.

MomOnBike
08-21-2007, 04:14 PM
...and on those days you have to take the car, you need to think to remember the auto route - 'cause you take the bike trail to work.

Also, on nasty weather days the Big Boss "just happens" by and "casualy" asks if you rode in, then seems happy that you did.

suzieqtwa
08-21-2007, 07:02 PM
Yesterday I rode my car for about the first time in about 3 months to work, I came to a light ,and signaled a right turn with my hand.:o

invsblwmn
08-22-2007, 01:14 AM
...your boss accuses you of using your cubicle for a closet...
...you spend more on cycling clothes than you would have on gas...
...25 co workers offer you a ride when its raining and you just smile and they say "nevermind" :)
...you get excited that Propel comes in powder because its lighter to carry for the refill on the way home...
...you realize that 2 inches clearance between your mirror and a bmw's mirror is actually PLENTY of room despite the finger of the driver saying otherwise...:cool:

lph
08-22-2007, 01:58 AM
...and on those days you have to take the car, you need to think to remember the auto route - 'cause you take the bike trail to work.

Or you get all flustered if you have to drive to work, because you don't actually KNOW the auto route. And you come to work insane with frustration from being stuck in traffic and NOT BEING ABLE TO GET OUT!

("living room couch with the house around it" - love it :D )

bikerHen
08-22-2007, 07:07 AM
When you do drive the car, any speed over 25 mph seems so fast!

When your driving, you CAN'T do those rolling right turns on red lights when there's no traffic.:rolleyes:

I had to call work yesterday because I was working at home. I got chewed out last month cause I had an appointment and got to work about two hours later than usual. They all though I was dead on the side of the road somewhere.:eek: Nothing like having 4 mothers to worry about ya! bikerHen

Edit to add: You feel so dang guilty every time you have to drive somewhere!

7rider
08-22-2007, 12:11 PM
I took my truck to work, and got a $35 parking ticket because I forgot to feed the meter!! :mad: :eek: :mad:
I NEVER have to feed the meter when I park my bike!!
:cool:

RoseC
08-22-2007, 06:44 PM
Heh...when I drove last weekend, I ended up taking a turn at near full speed, and leaned wayy over in my seat. It works to lean into curves on the bike...but you can't exactly lean a big ol' honkin' mini-van in the same way. Oops!

it feels like you're driving the living room couch with the house around it.

I love that! :D

slockwoo
08-23-2007, 06:23 AM
- you pack your car for a trail ride, the put your helmet on and get in the car.

- you approach a red light, look both ways and then go through it.

- you only know how to get to certain places via the bike path.

kfergos
08-23-2007, 01:08 PM
...you spend more on cycling clothes than you would have on gas...
...25 co workers offer you a ride when its raining and you just smile and they say "nevermind" Both so true!

Sometimes I have to suppress a surge of irritation when yet another person says "But what will you do when it rains/snows?" Although I want to say, "What do you think?! I've ridden every single day for the last six months," my polite stock answer has become "Put on more clothes."

Aint Doody
08-23-2007, 03:52 PM
You are driving your car in the bike lane! Yikes!!! (I hate to admit I did that once.)

annie
08-23-2007, 04:10 PM
You smile to yourself EVERY time the meter reader goes by and think, " HA!! Aren't gonna get ME, Honey!"

You glide past the one block construction on your way to work, either on the sidewalk, or in the alley. And think of the cars, having to follow the designated detour.

You take the long route home. And de-stress completely. Pure Joy.

Annie

uforgot
08-23-2007, 05:05 PM
Your boss sees you drive in one morning and asks "Hey, when did you get the car?" and you reply "3 years ago". Yes, this was an actual conversation.

You have no idea what anyone drives, but you know the model and purchase place of anyone else in town who commutes by bike.

You spend <$20 on gas per month. Just had to bring the gas thing up again.

You have answered the question "How many miles to the gallon do you get?", more than 10 times in a single week. (And each person who asks thinks they are original and funny).

Your college son looks at you and says "I'm going to get a bike to ride around town", and you get all excited, immediately start sizing him up, and coming up with funds and brands in your head. Then he laughs and says "gotcha mom!"

RoseC
08-24-2007, 10:22 AM
...on days you don't ride, you go through withdrawal symptoms - irritability, inability to concentrate, difficulty in thinking of anything except your next trip...

...you go through almost as much Woolite as you do regular detergent. :eek:

...you dread your upcoming vacation just a bit, because you know you're going to miss your commute terribly. How sick is that?

bikerHen
08-24-2007, 10:42 AM
...you dread your upcoming vacation just a bit, because you know you're going to miss your commute terribly. How sick is that?

Do what I do, take the bike with you. And pester everyone about rides. :D bikerHen

Yeah, that is a bit sick! But it's a healthy sickness. :rolleyes: :D

RoseC
08-24-2007, 10:49 AM
Unfortunately, I'm flying clear across country, and there's no simple way that I can find to transport my bike without a lot of extra cost and hassle. *snif* I'll probably borrow / rent a bike while I'm there, and I'll do *some* riding with my sister, but not the mileage I've gotten used to. And I really wish it was feasible to bring my beloved Volpe!

invsblwmn
08-29-2007, 06:08 AM
...you are more embarrassed by the grease spot on your inner right calf that no one can see than the fact you're wearing your red sidi's because you forgot to bring "work" shoes...

...getting dressed four times in a day seems completely normal...

...getting a bath in a sink is just as easy as in a tub...

...you have a closet just for your biking clothes...

...you have two racks to store your bikes and you wish they made car racks cause you would rather park the bikes and store the car...

...you buy a coffee thermos based on its ability to fit in your bottle cage...

uforgot
08-29-2007, 07:35 AM
...you buy a coffee thermos based on its ability to fit in your bottle cage

I do this and didn't even realize it!

Deborajen
08-29-2007, 08:47 AM
- you have a bad experience in the car and think "that does it - I'm taking the bike to work!

I get to use a good stretch of bike path on the commute. Granted it's after a few blocks of city traffic, but the city traffic is more time-consuming than scary. The drive, though - twice in less than a month, at the same intersection, I've had near misses by cars nearly blowing their red light - their car heading towards my driver's door, tires screeching, and the driver yapping on a **** cell phone. I hate cell phone drivers!

OK, so the bike isn't really safer - it's strange to actually feel like it is. The route sure is nicer. Too bad I can't drive that route when I have to drive.

Deb

Adrienne
09-01-2007, 11:49 AM
- when you're away from your desk, your co-workers look for your helmet to see if you're working today
(Our hours, though full-time, are irregular.)

- you have a working clothesline discreetly tucked away out of sight under your desk

- you are on "wave-and-smile" terms with all the school crossing guards on your route!

Jenerator
09-03-2007, 12:27 PM
- when driving you call out to other drivers:

On your left

Hold your line

onimity
09-05-2007, 08:13 PM
...you walk past your car to find that yellowjackets have nested in the door!

susiej
09-07-2007, 07:50 AM
... you almost turn to drive the car across the yard and park it by the shed where the bikes live.

(OK, check rearview mirror, back up carefully, turn into driveway, GET OUT OF THE DANG CAR.)

CorsairMac
09-07-2007, 07:58 AM
.........you pick your outfit based on what's easiest to pack....even on the days you Aren't riding!

RoseC
09-07-2007, 08:43 AM
I'm not even sure how to phrase this as a ...you... kind of thing, but it amuses me, nonetheless.

My dog mostly hangs out in the yard when I'm not at home, and has taken to sleeping under my van since it's always there. He has other nice shady places, and a dog house, but he likes that spot - I think because it's over nice cool gravel.

The other day I had to take the car, and when I got home, I pulled in and parked. He greeted me enthusiastically like he always does, and then went to duck under the car. He got just his nose under before coming back up looking baffled. "Where's my nice cool spot, Mom? Why is it *warm* under there??"

Silly pup!

7rider
09-07-2007, 09:29 AM
- when driving you call out to other drivers:

On your left

Hold your line

Ha. Not so much to commuting, but to group riding....
My DH and I find our in-car conversations sounding like this:

"Car right."
"Green up."

:eek: :D

MomOnBike
09-07-2007, 09:37 AM
When you discover that the bikes are in the garage and the car is parked outside - and hasn't moved in weeks!

I'm still not certain how the bikes moved into the garage, but I'm NOT complaining.

light_sabe_r
09-07-2007, 04:10 PM
- You have to catch the bus in sub cyclonic conditions and realise you wouldn't have gotten as wet if you had've packed your rain gear...

- You own underwear that was bought from Woolies accross the street from your office. Just because of those days where you just "forgot" to pack your own

- You get real annoyed when people book a taxi to go to a meeting across the river, but you know each bridge and bike path and try and convince them to let you ride there instead! And you get there quicker than they did :D

Tater
09-07-2007, 10:09 PM
...you are more embarrassed by the grease spot on your inner right calf that no one can see than the fact you're wearing your red sidi's because you forgot to bring "work" shoes...

Shoes! I am so busted on this one! :o Mine aren't Sidi's, they are Specialized Taho's, and I would have gotten away with them had our secretary not noticed 'what cute shoes I had on'. :rolleyes: Once she found out what they really were, she wasn't so keen on them. Hey, at least they matched my black capris...sorta!

You know you are a commuter when on that rare day when one doesn't bike into work, everyone is wondering if 1) you are sick (nope), 2) the bike is broken (nope, have a spare and a back up for that spare), or 3) if hell froze over (not that I know of).

lph
09-08-2007, 12:31 AM
- - You own underwear that was bought from Woolies accross the street from your office. Just because of those days where you just "forgot" to pack your own

Hah! :D

My best girlfriend colleague used to tease me about this all the time, about how I bought "all my lingerie" from Rimi across the street from the office (Rimi being the absolutely cheapest supermarket chain in the country).

I just find it brilliant that a food store is so understanding as to stock underwear as well, so I don't have to spend the work day in sweaty bike shorts ;)

KnottedYet
09-08-2007, 01:04 AM
Tater - I think Specialized Tahos are lovely fashionable footwear.

(I have the all-gray men's version. Which do you have?):D

Technotart
09-09-2007, 08:41 AM
You own a pair of casual shoes that "look" like bike shoes and you wear them with everything

When walking in malls, on city sidewalks or in corridors at the office, you are constantly glancing up and to your left for your rearview and are dissapointed when it isn't there

You have equal numbers of bike shorts, jerseys and socks in a file drawer at your office as you do at home

You have had to wear your shower shoes at work because you left your dress shoes at home

You are intimately familiar with disposable washcloths and the bathroom sink

Your helmet serves as a hair styling device

Tater
09-09-2007, 05:41 PM
Tater - I think Specialized Tahos are lovely fashionable footwear.

(I have the all-gray men's version. Which do you have?):D

Knot, I have the same lovely pair as you! :p You know, with all the crazy styles of footwear out there, unless one has her feet up and people can see the cleat, no one would know any different!

Oh, and you really know when you are a commuter when people FINALLY quit asking in you rode into work today.

Technotart
09-09-2007, 06:30 PM
Forgot one -

Your cambelbak hangs on the back of your chair at the office - just in case you get thirsty during the day.

Technotart
09-20-2007, 12:58 PM
You buy new bath gel and body spray and then realize that the reason you like it so much is because it smells like your favorite citrus degreaser!

coyote
09-20-2007, 03:02 PM
You avoid lines and cracks large enough to eat your front wheel......except that your walking.

Did that this morning :o

bikinNkc
09-21-2007, 12:28 PM
You realize you work in too trendy of an area because the only place to get undies is Vicky's.

(First commute ever and forgot to pack them):o

Voodoo Sally
09-26-2007, 09:09 AM
...you walk past your car to find that yellowjackets have nested in the door!

Love it.

You need to wash your car every time you take it out, because it is so long between uses, that dust & debris pile up on it. Poor car. :(

Tri Girl
09-27-2007, 06:22 AM
This whole thread has cracked me up!!!! Thank you for starting it. I've done nothing but laugh for the last 10 minutes.

I'm starting to do a hybrid commute to work (park 9 miles from home and ride the last 16 to work). 25 is just too far two times when it's this dark outside. Now, when the days get longer, I may consider the whole distance- but even then it's a long way (and 4 hours of riding a day is just a bit much for even me)...

You avoid lines and cracks large enough to eat your front wheel......except that your walking.

Did that this morning :o

I did that in the car yesterday when I had to drive in. Saw a huge groove in the road and moved over (I think the car tires are wide enough to not get sucked in, duh! :rolleyes: ). Had my first crash last month when my tire got caught in a big road groove. Now I see EVERY one I pass (in vehicle or not).

7rider
09-27-2007, 06:44 AM
Complete strangers recognize you in the elevator as a bike commuter, and ask "Didn't you ride today?" when they see you, not in bike clothes or carrying your helmet or panniers.

That happend to me today...was lugging a 20 pound brick, er...laptop with me that I used at a conference. I decided to let Metro help me carry it, rather than putting it on the bike. I had some guy...I have no idea who he is...ask me why I wasn't riding today. I guess I'm known in the building! :eek: :o

northstar
09-27-2007, 07:07 AM
...when you hear more geese honking on your way to work than cars honking! At least on my commute, that's the case! :) Don't hate me because I'm lucky!

On the other hand, I almost hit a deer this morning. I am really missing morning light...:( It was an outline of a svelte gray silhouette as it hopped across the path. Ahh, life in the north.

Deanna
09-27-2007, 10:09 AM
...you have a duplicate set of makeup and hair products at the office because you don't like riding with it on your skin. Just hope you don't find something really expensive that you really like (the Philosophy counter loves me - I buy two of everything).

...you are treated as the office expert on the seasonal weather changes

...you are one of the few people who realize the door between the mens and womens bathroom is a shower and changing room (true!)

...your weekly lunch supplies take up half the bottom shelf of the communal fridge.

...you've lost track of how many times you've had to answer "how far do you ride to work"

invsblwmn
09-30-2007, 11:49 PM
when the boss threatens to fire u if u ever get near a bike again...:(
good news.. i'm alive

i am typing this from my hospital bed, been here since last wednesday. have had two surgeries on my right arm, have at least 3 more over the next few months. can't walk, but should be able to in the next few weeks. going home today or tomorrow in a wheelchair, still w/ unbelievable pain. thinking about hanging up the bike. got hit in a crosswalk by an 80 year old man going over 40mph in a suv who didn't even see that there was a light. plain lucky to be alive. happened right in front of hospital, so docs were there in less than a minute and a fire fighter stabilized me until then. i have lots of support as i work at this hospital, but i miss riding so much. not looking 4 pity, just support and understanding. no head injuries or torso, just back and limbs (left arm works and has iv lines fot morphine and antibiotics). do u think i should get back on?:confused:

Dianyla
09-30-2007, 11:57 PM
when the boss threatens to fire u if u ever get near a bike again...:(
good news.. i'm alive

do u think i should get back on?:confused:
Goodness, I'm so sorry you got hit! First focus on taking care of yourself and healing. Afterwards you can decide whether you want to get back on a bike or not.

For what it's worth... you could've been a pedestrian crossing that same street and the same 80 yo guy might have run the light and hit you. Food for thought, anyhow.

Get well soon!

lph
10-01-2007, 01:47 AM
OMG :eek: How terrible! I don't know what to say, except, thank heavens you're alive, and "just" limbs hurt.

Agh, who gives a **** what you do with your bike right now. Just work on getting healed, and find out later what you want to do with a body that WORKS. If you still want to ride a bike, then go for it, if not, do something else. Not biking for a few months or a year means zip in the long run.

Being in longterm pain must be a real bummer. I feel for you. Take all the pain meds you can get, kick the pain med addiction later... OK, you medical types can all jump on me now. :D

(forgive me for butting in, but I re-posted your story 'cos I felt it deserved a thread all its own.)

RoadRaven
10-01-2007, 09:54 AM
Perhaps you need to change your name to "SEE ME HERE woman"!!!

Here is a short story for you - I posted in the crazy driver forum about 3 local club members who were knocked off their bikes early on a Sunday morning. Jo went into the windscreen and then onto the road while her bike went under the car, Ray and Shona were thrown aside with their bikes into the gutter/ditch.

All three have been along to club races to help with marshalling. Jo has been out riding on bike paths and off road. Ray and Shona were along on Saturday. Shona didn't sign up for the race, though she did ride it - neck brace and all. Ray was on what looked like a kids chopper - just an adult size. Very upright and I guess that is to do with his recovery process.

They love cycling so much they are all experimenting with ways that feel right to get back on their bikes.

IW, just take your time on your path to recovery - its going to be a tough-at-times mental, physical and spiritual journey. Believe in your self, be patient with yourself.
Kia kaha, kia manawanui
Awhi awhi and aroha from NZ

~Raven~

light_sabe_r
10-01-2007, 01:53 PM
When you wear your bike jersey under a jacket all day because you FORGOT your Shirt.
(You don't think anyone will notice, will you???)

mimitabby
10-05-2007, 08:46 AM
you check the weather before making a doctor's appointment that you can't ride to... and you pick a rainy day so you don't mess up a perfectly good ride day.

redrhodie
10-05-2007, 12:06 PM
Your boss lets you know when she's going grocery shopping so she can get your lunch favorites (yeah, she's pretty awesome!).

You drive in on your day off to bring clean clothes for the next work week.

You go commando :eek: 'cuz that's the only option when the undies are forgotten and you work in the sticks!

helena
10-24-2007, 05:46 PM
--Greeting truck drivers and getting a honk in response is the highlight of your day
--Your friends let you know when they're going to to laundry/grocery shopping in advance
--You know which of your office-mates cars your bike fits in, and who drives via your turn-off

(so I ride in Alaska, and really when there's new snow/falling snow/freezing rain then I'm more than happy to graciously accept offers of rides home - I like to think of it as their good deed for the day)

crazycanuck
10-25-2007, 01:16 AM
You recognize all the fair weathered cyclists.!!! You recognize the ones who've been out in the icky weather along with you.

You get to tell interesting stories about what the weather was like in May/July/Aug/Sept with the rain, wind & darkness..

C

lph
10-25-2007, 01:39 AM
You recognize the ones who've been out in the icky weather along with you.

I like to think of them as "colleagues". :D

solorider
11-05-2007, 06:58 AM
you go to the bike rack at work and get a good scare when your bike isnt there:eek: ....until you realize you DROVE that day.

you take the shortest route possible on days that you drive, and the longest route you have time for on days that you ride.

ROseC I can completely relate- I've started planning all of our vacations within an 8-10 hour drive, so I can take my bike with me! SO far my husband hasn't caught on or complained :D

Melalvai
11-05-2007, 02:00 PM
you dread your upcoming vacation just a bit, because you know you're going to miss your commute terribly.
I attended a conference in DC and rented a bike while I was there. :)
Picture & more details at http://www.kemenel.org/melalvai/journal

invsblwmn
11-05-2007, 04:40 PM
your boss makes a special trip to visit you post big wreck and takes two trips to bring your clothes in that were in your cubicle. forgot i even had one pair of shoes he brought to me.

shootingstar
11-24-2007, 03:49 PM
[QUOTE=KnottedYet;235754]... you gaze longingly at potential routes out your bus window.

... there are some things you only know how to get to by bike. "well, RedHook is just off the Sammamish trail." "Theo Chocolates is just off the Burke Gilman trail." "TiCycles is right next to the trail."

... you buy food for your big dog in little bags, because they fit better in your Ortlieb panniers. QUOTE]

Or when it's the long holiday weekend, you panic after discovering you left your house keys and bike key chainring at work...which is a bloody 1.5 hr. bus commute route. You panic, because you NEED that bike to enjoy the fabulous weather over the holiday.

And so, you go out and buy a ...3rd bike. Which is what I did 2 years ago for a Labour Day weekend when I discovered I left my bike key behind at work....:D

Needless to say, I had a wonderful weekend..and even doubled my cycling distance on the new bike.

Geonz
11-29-2007, 09:21 AM
Your "concert dress" *is* black shoes... Winter Squall shoes from Lands End. (You *did* know you were in the back row... you didn't know that those 'tights' you grabbed from the drawer were the weird ones with the flame pattern you'd gotten on a lark and you were *glad* to be in the back row with a looong skirt ;) :) )

YOu're *expected* to be wearing the Winter Squall shoes under the otherwise office dress :)

lph
12-12-2007, 12:45 AM
- when your fashion decision of the day is: hmm, should I take the blue Buff or the pretty red wool Buff to cover my nose today? (I could run into that cute guy with the black jacket again... ;) )

- when it gives you ineffable, lasting pleasure to reflect, that even though you woke up to a sudden cold snap you really nailed what to wear on your commute in - no cold toes or fingers, but not too warm either... :D

Technotart
12-12-2007, 02:42 AM
- when it gives you ineffable, lasting pleasure to reflect, that even though you woke up to a sudden cold snap you really nailed what to wear on your commute in - no cold toes or fingers, but not too warm either... :D

Oh How I *SO* love THAT!

mimitabby
12-12-2007, 06:01 AM
It's fun watching my DH getting ready for his bike commute in the morning. He sometimes packs a business suit and all the accessories and today he took that plus a 6 pack of Ensure. He has more long underwear than most high schools, and in splendid colors. What's really cool is he used to hate to do chores on the way home, now he loves them. COuld you pick up our prescription?? SURE!

and it's all IN THE DARK this month!

Geonz
12-12-2007, 07:04 AM
YOu know it's starting to catch on when there's an announcment at a meeting that someone "left their light on in the parking lot" - and it's their rear red blinky :)

Happy holidays!

http://www.resourceroom.net/pcc/treebike2007.jpg

KnottedYet
12-12-2007, 08:56 PM
Yaaaaay!!!!!

It's the Xtracycle Tree!!!!!!:D :D :D

VeloVT
02-03-2008, 12:01 PM
When putting together the day's outfit you begin to think of "screaming yellow" as a neutral color.

shootingstar
02-03-2008, 05:28 PM
When you love to wear bright screaming jacket colours. :D I'm a commuter, flaunt it, baby! Day and night. :D:p

And those cyclists wearing black jackets...are they just...stupid??

KnottedYet
02-03-2008, 06:01 PM
When you buy your pedestrian rainjacket (the one you WON'T wear when you ride) in the closest thing to screaming yellow you can find... cuz you want the cars to see you when you're walking, too!

indigoiis
02-06-2008, 10:49 AM
"Your helmet serves as a hair styling device"

Oh yeah. I even told the hairdresser "I want lots of choppy wind-blown looking layers in a sort of bowl-bob cut." and she said, "you've already got that."

- even though you packed a great corporate style outfit, shoes and all, for a meeting, you forgot about outerwear, and walk to the meeting in your cycling rain/windbreaker jacket and black wool watch cap, and cycling gloves.

-You're not mad when you come out on a rainy night to find someone had put a discarded plastic cup over one of your foam bar grips. At least one of them will be dry tonight!

-while driving your car at night, you expect the headlights to follow your head movements.

-you wake up in the morning, look out at the sloppy weather and think, "do I HAVE to???" and then, after a few minutes thinking about it, you think, "no, I don't have to, but I WANT to!"

Technotart
02-06-2008, 03:15 PM
"-you wake up in the morning, look out at the sloppy weather and think, "do I HAVE to???" and then, after a few minutes thinking about it, you think, "no, I don't have to, but I WANT to!"

Rock ON! :cool:

susiej
02-07-2008, 06:55 AM
"Your helmet serves as a hair styling device"

Oh yeah. I even told the hairdresser "I want lots of choppy wind-blown looking layers in a sort of bowl-bob cut." and she said, "you've already got that."

I love my hairdresser because when told "something that will look good after I've been sweating under a bike helmet, that I only need to blow dry" gives me a GREAT haircut. :D

kfergos
02-14-2008, 07:52 AM
You turn down multiple offers of rides home, preferring to ride home yourself in 32-degree torrential rain with heavy wind.

Melalvai
02-14-2008, 08:11 AM
You turn down multiple offers of rides home, preferring to ride home yourself in 32-degree torrential rain with heavy wind.
Monday we had "wintry mix" falling from the sky. A fellow in the lab seemed very worried about me and offered twice to give me a ride.

I didn't accept because I didn't need a ride. I had a ride: my bike. Even in that kind of weather, I feel safer on my bike than in a car.

A few weeks ago the roads were not great. I took my daughter to school in the car, returned home, left the car at home for my husband to use to get to his classes, and biked to work as usual. On the car journey, I slipped twice and had to pump the brakes to keep control (nothing major, but to be expected in those conditions). On the bike journey, I did not lose control once, or even feel I might lose control.

So, although the temperature is uncomfortable, I really believe I'm safer on my bike. No one else is convinced. They say things like "other cars could lose control, and on your bike they'll kill you instead of ruining your bumper". I just don't agree.

indigoiis
02-14-2008, 11:13 AM
With bad weather, do you use your mountain bike?
I have a mountain bike but my lights are on my commuter bike, which has skinny tires. Also, I wonder if using a mtb would compromise speed (meaning, I'd have to leave earlier...) ?

invsblwmn
02-14-2008, 11:19 AM
Last winter with bad weather I would ride my rock hopper to work. It was about 20% slower but safer. The cannondale roadie in snow is a no no. I just bungeed a cheapo helmet light to the handlebars ($10 wally world). It gave me a better workout with those knobby tires. Be safe!:cool:

kfergos
02-14-2008, 11:22 AM
Rock hopper with studded tires in the winter (yesterday, riding through well over an inch of flowing water at points, it was kind if like boating). And yes, it's definitely slower.

Voodoo Sally
03-04-2008, 09:13 AM
I love my hairdresser because when told "something that will look good after I've been sweating under a bike helmet, that I only need to blow dry" gives me a GREAT haircut. :D

Speaking of hairdressers, imagine the look on my hairdresser's face, and the other stylists at the salon as, after plunking down $$ on getting my hair cut and blow dried and looking fabulous, I say thank you and goodbye, while putting on my helmet to ride home. :eek: They don't know what to think. :p

GuitarRiderGrrl
04-04-2008, 06:23 AM
You apologize to your bike for leaving it in the garage all day :)

kfergos
04-04-2008, 06:54 AM
While driving (!) to work, you try to downshift as you approach a stoplight.

GuitarRiderGrrl
04-09-2008, 11:19 AM
Your cubicle resembles your laundry room :D

Geonz
04-09-2008, 11:22 AM
Ouch. That hits a leetle close to home today and the boss just came by :o:o:o

(But at least the *bicycle* wasn't under the desk, too... and the boss likes me...)

obie
04-09-2008, 12:48 PM
...when on one of the rare times that you're driving the car, you start to signal "left!" and your arm hits a closed window :)

bruiser
04-17-2008, 07:09 PM
... When you ask "They have drive-in gas stations?" :rolleyes:

What I meant to say was "covered" gas stations, which is still ridiculous sounding. Needless to say, I am now that removed from car culture ;)

Smurfette
04-24-2008, 12:15 PM
...When you need to drive the car one day for a specific errand, and realize that the tags expired last month!! :eek:

:p That sounds so familiar.

lph
12-16-2011, 12:09 AM

I just had to dig up my old post here 'cos I did it again today: woke up to sleet (yay :rolleyes:) and just above freezing. Spent twenty minutes layering on the wool and the softshell and the shoecovers and the neoprene gloves, ditched the thermal underwear, added clear goggles... but nailed it. Slightly damp, but not too hot, not cold, and not wet upon arrival an hour later in filthy weather. I love that! :D

WindingRoad
12-16-2011, 06:58 AM
Kudos LPH! It does feel good to 'get it right' ;)

eofelis
12-27-2011, 02:47 PM

Last month I discovered that my cars tags had been expired for a year! :eek: I drive it once a week or so. My renewal notice didn't follow me when I moved a while back. Guess the cops don't look at me much.

WindingRoad
12-30-2011, 06:27 PM
On the car note...

....when your rotors rust up and you have to replace them all due to lack of use :rolleyes:

invsblwmn
06-15-2013, 07:28 PM
...when you try to convince your boss to get rid of 1/2 of your desk so there's a safe place to park. I want to ride to work again...it's time.