PDA

View Full Version : Running on...Aug 13-19

yellow
08-14-2007, 05:50 PM
Post' em! :D

Went out early to beat the heat and needed a headlamp. Yep, winter's a'comin' (yay)!

Wahine
08-14-2007, 10:30 PM
I did a 4.5 mile track interval workout today. Long run tomorrow. Then no more hard runs until IM.:D :D

Happy running everyone!:)

tattiefritter
08-15-2007, 01:29 AM
Just over four miles yesterday lunchtime, was going to aim for around a slow steady six but work threatened to get in the way so headed out for three. Felt so good extended it for a mile :D , annoyingly the potential work conflict was delayed so I could've stayed out longer. Aiming for steady six (note to self, slow down) tomorrow and am continuing the stretching and strengthening.

KSH
08-15-2007, 05:54 AM
I did a 4.5 mile track interval workout today. Long run tomorrow. Then no more hard runs until IM.:D :D

Happy running everyone!:)

LUCKY YOU!

Hey, is this a "M-Dot" IM that you are doing? We need your bib number when you get it so we can track you. I can't believe it's HERE!

rocknrollgirl
08-15-2007, 06:27 AM
Hill repeats this morning with tempo runs between sets. Hard stuff, but over quickly!

limewave
08-15-2007, 09:23 AM
Just got back from a 7-mile trail run. Had planned on 8 but I started tripping on a lot on the roots so I walked the last mile. It was great. Saw about a dozen deer prancing around. Two eagle toddlers playing and a big momma eagle not too far away. A red fox. And a huge dragon fly flew with me for awhile.

HillSlugger
08-15-2007, 12:11 PM
Last run before Sunday's Iron Girl Triathlon

Iron Girl Route

3.25 miles / 34m 30s / 10m 37s/mile

forgot my watch so time is approximate (noted start and end times on my cell phone)

by far my best run on the route. I ran every freakin' step today for the very first time! Pushed it a bit harder and cut off about a minute from my previous best.

at the start of the run I was actually cool, very unusual for DC in August. I hope it's that way on Sunday.

Tri Girl
08-16-2007, 04:32 AM
I ran every freakin' step today for the very first time!
Nice going!!! You're going to do great on Sunday!! We can't wait to hear all about it. :D

Limewave- sounds like such a nice run and some interesting wildlife spottings. That's why I like trail running more than road running- so many more interesting critters to watch.

I think I'm filing for divorce from my running shoes for a while. I'm getting slower instead of faster and my frustration has me hating to lace up my shoes and head out the door. Maybe if I stop doing it, I'll fall back in love.

Keep on running ladies- I'm living vicariously through your adventures (even tho I rarely post on this thread, I read it all the time).

limewave
08-16-2007, 06:46 AM
Wahine and MDHillSlug--Good luck at your events! I can't wait to read the race reports.

Thanks for posting everyone. I like to read about everyone's progress even though I don't always comment. It's so encouraging to know you are all out there pounding the pavement with me :)

Wahine
08-16-2007, 09:31 AM
Good work MD!! That's a big deal.

Well, I ran my 15 miles yesterday with 9 of it at what should be my tempo pace. :p :p Not as fast as I had hoped.

More later, gotta go.

Edit to add: I blame my slowness on tight hips from my intervals the day before. So I was a little grumpy about my run but in retrospect, I've run 19.5 miles in about 30 hours the week after a looooooong ride, I really shuoldn't be surprised.

Now it's time to rest.

Good work ladies!!

Wahine
08-16-2007, 12:32 PM
LUCKY YOU!

Hey, is this a "M-Dot" IM that you are doing? We need your bib number when you get it so we can track you. I can't believe it's HERE!

Yes, IM Canada was the third M Dot race stablished and this is the 25th year anniversary. It'll be a big party!! My bib number is 2289.

michelem
08-16-2007, 11:09 PM
Tonight I went out for my typical 6 mile run and for the first time in a long time it felt great! Last two times I went out I was DRAGGING and so slow. I think I just needed some rest days - Monday nothing, Tuesday and Wednesday yoga - no cycling or running. Anyway, I was able to really speed up on the hill back home and then I was feeling so good I added about another 1/2 mile before home. I was worried that I might be dehydrated, which decreases performance, because I barely drank anything today, but for whatever reason it didn't affect me. I used peppier music tonight, which I think helped (John Cougar Mellencamp). All in all, I feel much more optimistic about adding distance this coming week. :) As of Saturday, I'm down to 11 weeks to get myself in 1/2 Marathon shape. :eek:

KSH
08-17-2007, 02:02 PM
MDHillSlug- GREAT JOB! And... GOOD LUCK on the race! You will do great!

Well, you ladies have been doing a great job this week!

As for me... eh, I needed a mental and physical break. Only got in a 3 mile run on the treadmill (too hot outside)... but it should have been 6 miles.

I also skipped my brick, so missed another run session... that should have been 3 miles.

I will be running on Sunday though... 12 miles. It's really a walk/run combo. The humidity and heat has been kicking my booty.

roadie gal
08-19-2007, 09:52 AM
I went out with the grand intentions of doing a 7 mile road run. That would have been 10% more than my previous long run. About 45 minutes into it (about 4.5 miles) I got a cramp in my stomach that had me walking for 5 minutes. I was able to get started again and felt good enough to go down a street that I hadn't been down before. Of course, 15 minutes later I was walking again. feh I walked for 10 minutes and then ran the rest of the way home. Total time: 1:24. I took the car out and clocked the mileage for my run/walk... 7.9 miles! No wonder my legs and back are sore today!

alpinerabbit
08-19-2007, 10:36 AM
7K hard run yesterday, at full pace with DBF.... 169 average and a whopping 187 after the little sprint to our front door :D

Deborajen
08-19-2007, 10:43 AM
I'd been building up and running 12-15 miles per week until the middle of last week. Decided then to run on an indoor track due to the steamy heat and temps/humidity too high at times my schedule allowed running. The run felt pretty good at the time - I really liked the gentler surface. But the next day my right knee swelled up and the day after that I started getting some sharp pains in my knee. I don't think I pulled or popped anything - never heard or felt anything during the run - but the track was a counterclockwise oval so I guess all that turning must have pulled unevenly. Haven't run since - 10 days - ugh! But I want to protect my knees. The recumbent exercise bike feels good so I've done that every few days, plus a little stairstepping on a low platform.

Keep up the great running, everyone! It's good to read everyone's posts - keeps me motivated. Can't wait to get out again.

Deb

yellow
08-19-2007, 03:54 PM
Deb...that's why I will choose the treadmill over the track (and sometimes even over the pavement in the winter). The slightest little directional slant, and I feel it in my knees (and my back). Hang in there with the X training...you'll be running again before you know it! :D

Where's KSH's report of her 12 miler??

I'm feeling pretty pathetic and particularly whiney in regard to my running this week. I've had 2 pretty easy weeks in a row and still I felt like a big blob of uuuugggghhh this morning on my (long) run. I am soooooo done with summer and these temperatures...I'm hoping that when it cools off I'll feel better on my runs again.

HillSlugger
08-19-2007, 04:53 PM
Last leg of my Iron Girl Triathlon:

3.4 miles / 37:50 / 11:08 per mile.

Walked some of the worst hills and also a stretch on the final flat when my thighs cramped up. Beat my goal of 40 minutes / under 12 minutes per mile.

KSH
08-19-2007, 07:33 PM
I'd been building up and running 12-15 miles per week until the middle of last week. Decided then to run on an indoor track due to the steamy heat and temps/humidity too high at times my schedule allowed running. The run felt pretty good at the time - I really liked the gentler surface. But the next day my right knee swelled up and the day after that I started getting some sharp pains in my knee. I don't think I pulled or popped anything - never heard or felt anything during the run - but the track was a counterclockwise oval so I guess all that turning must have pulled unevenly. Haven't run since - 10 days - ugh! But I want to protect my knees. The recumbent exercise bike feels good so I've done that every few days, plus a little stairstepping on a low platform.

Keep up the great running, everyone! It's good to read everyone's posts - keeps me motivated. Can't wait to get out again.

Deb

OUCH! Well, don't overlook the power of ICE!

Icing ones knees immediately after running can help prevent pain in the future. I have had some knee pain that comes and goes... and some ice seems to fix it right up.

BUT, obviously, it's not going to fix anything that is seriously wrong. Just some aches and pains. Swelling like you had, not good.

Where's KSH's report of her 12 miler??

I'm feeling pretty pathetic and particularly whiney in regard to my running this week. I've had 2 pretty easy weeks in a row and still I felt like a big blob of uuuugggghhh this morning on my (long) run. I am soooooo done with summer and these temperatures...I'm hoping that when it cools off I'll feel better on my runs again.

Yea, uuummm... I took an unscheduled recovery week. My longest run this week was 6 miles. For the week I only ran 9 miles total.

I have to agree with you... I am SICK of the heat and running in humidity. I hate being so wet with sweat that my shoes and socks are soaked after a run. I'm equally tired of running 4+ miles on a treadmill. So, running for me has been completely miserable all the way around.

And, everytime I do run... I feel horrible. I can't even run a mile without walking anymore! I too hope that once the heat lifts, I'll be running like I WAS.

Wahine
08-19-2007, 08:35 PM
Yea, uuummm... I took an unscheduled recovery week. My longest run this week was 6 miles. For the week I only ran 9 miles total.

You needed it.:D :D :D :D

tattiefritter
08-21-2007, 05:23 AM
Hello all, I'm really chuffed at the moment as I have just finished my third run in three days (total about 17 miles or so) and my legs are tired but not in pain - yay!

Headed out onto the trails on Sunday afternoon to see how things were, was running well and ended up doing 8.5 miles with 1200 ft of climbing/descent :D and all was well, I did make the tactical decision to avoid one of the steeper runnable descents and took a very steep walking descent instead but body held up well overall. Did a 4.5 miles slow recovery run yesterday (9mm average so well controlled, though being tired helps my overenthusiasm better than anything else) which helped my legs out but man did the tarmac feel harsh after the trails. Another 4 miles today at a quicker pace and again it felt good and legs coped with the tarmac better. MTBing tomorrow to give the legs a break from the impact and another short run on Thursday probably before back out on the trails on bike and foot at the weekend.

rocknrollgirl
08-22-2007, 05:18 AM
Yo,
Interval training today...hill repeats mixed with tempo runs...very hard, but over quickly. Yee Ha!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

limewave
08-22-2007, 09:35 AM
Did an easy 4 mile trail run yesterday. That's all the running I'm doing this week.

emily_in_nc
08-22-2007, 11:48 AM
Did a 3 mile run on the treadmill yesterday (the high here was 105!) Had base of toe pain afterwards (but not during) - have posted in the PT thread about that to see if anyone has any ideas what this could be. It's been going on for awhile now.

Other than that, had a good run and got up to 6 mph for the last 1/2 mile - my fastest ever. I know it's slugly to many of you, but I started with 5.2 mph so am gradually working my way up. I have short legs, so that's probably as fast as I'll ever get, especially since running is just a side fitness thing for me. Cycling and hiking are my mainstays, but I've found that I do like running a bit too. Will like it more if I can get to the bottom of my toe pain. :(

Emily

HappyAnika
08-22-2007, 12:02 PM
It's Wednesdsay, we are still posting in last week's thread . . . oh well.

34 minutes this morning, it was a pleasant 68 degrees out. Had a hard time keeping hr steady, too high, then too low, but I felt good and kept it low overall.

I'm so excited, tomorrow is not supposed to be above 80 degrees! That would be the first day since May! Unfortunately I know it will be above 80, they are forecasting 78, which means about 82, but it was 97 yesterday, so I'll take it. Oh Fall, where art thou?