PDA

View Full Version : The Yip Yips do the Perth MTB 6hr

crazycanuck
08-13-2007, 05:48 AM
First off, this is an annual event for the Perth MTB to get us motivated for the upcoming 12hr (night event) in December. For the 6hr, the track is 11km.

Ian & I entered the event as a mixed duo and both had great days on the bike but more about our times later.

Saturday I ensured we had all our food, clothes, bikes & whatever else we needed ready. I had my raisins, bun w jam, drinks for pre, during & post riding and felt i was ready. I'd memorized the course and knew where i'd take my powergel, speed up etc. I'd done my training laps and had a rough idea of my ETA.

Sunday came and I wasn't as nervous as last year. Breakfast(scrambled eggs, toast w marmite) was easy to eat!!! Normally i've got bad butterflies but i managed to calm myself sat night & sun am. Packed ourselves & ventured off. Set ourselves up with friends of ours & felt at home. We were there to enjoy the day!

And they were off! Ian did the first lap with the crowd and I set off to go pee(a few times). Sure enough Ian rocked through the timing zone at the expected time but with the words "I have a mechanical" ..Ignored that & ventured off
First smidgen bit of the course is on fire road then it hits singletrack. I was feeling pretty good and my legs were happy. I'm so glad I have my rudy Project sunnies as everything seemed clearer than when I wear my glasses...Anywho, uphill then the cool downhill section and I want to hug whomever put a B line round the one logover I don't quite get yet!!! YAYA!!!!
I felt the butterflies were with me as I kept my speed at a reasonable pace and managed cornering ok. THe rocky sections were tons of fun(not tons of rocks..) and felt i was in the right gear. Last section is rutted and still no clue how to get through it but gave it a shot.

Ah, the end! Fire road then through the pines & up the path to the timing poing. Wahoooooooooey..I did my first lap in 49min:40 seconds!!! Ok, it might be slow but I can improve!

Ian set off & I had about 30min to put my legs in the air, drink a bit of water & eat some raisins.

Second lap-not bad at all, didn't get in anyone's way. Came back feeling I hadn't worked hard enough..:o 51min:17seconds...

Drink, eat 1/2 jam sandwich & put legs up.

Third lap I went for it as best I could. I pushed myself up the fire road and other sections. I even had a compliment from some guy behind me when i passed him going uphill. Something around the lines of "gee where'd you get the power from??" tee hee! You get the picutre

Ok, third lap was the slowest but it felt pretty good 51min:21sec.

All in all, I had a ton of fun & met my goal of 3 laps. Next year 4? I'll work on it...

Here are a few pics-one from the start of the day & at the end of my 3rd lap.

Wahine
08-13-2007, 06:40 AM
I gotta head off to work so all I have time for is....

Yiiiiiiiipppppppppppppeeeeeeeeee

Running Mommy
08-13-2007, 07:53 AM
SWEET!!!
Now Tony's thinking he needs to bring the mtn rig along when we come out next year... Hmmmm.... :p
The cost of shipping bikes alone just might eclipse the cost of the airfare! :D
Anyhoo... Congrats on a FABULOUS race! You guys looked like you were having fun!
Ya see, thats what I like about Australia. Everyone always looks like they are having fun!! :)

Trekhawk
08-13-2007, 08:21 AM
First off, this is an annual event for the Perth MTB to get us motivated for the upcoming 12hr (night event) in December. For the 6hr, the track is 11km.

Ian & I entered the event as a mixed duo and both had great days on the bike but more about our times later.

Well done CC!!!
Love the ride report.
Glad to see the Republic represented well. None of the vomiti though I hope.:D LOL that is one of my favourite jerseys.

RoadRaven
08-13-2007, 10:00 AM
Yip Yip Yooray!!!

Great times... 49:40 / 51:17 / 51:21

Not much in each lap really - sounds like you started with a burst and settled into a good steady pace you could maintain

Great to see the pix of you CC, and Ian.

I have just found an old childhood friend lives over in Perth - on an island she keeps calling Rotto, or Rocko or something? Sorry - its in my work emails. We haven't seen each other for nearly 30 years and met up when she was here for a week last month.

Def on my plans to come visit Perth in the not-to-distant future (as in years, not deacdes!) - might be able to catch up with you and go for a ride somewhere!

crazycanuck
08-13-2007, 04:28 PM
RM-tell tony that he could do the 12hr the weekend before you do the Ironman..:D He could join me on a team :o

Roadr-It's rotto(rottnest Island) she's referring to. Ohhh and if you come over i'd be glad to go biking with you! Sheep, i hope i can keep up!

T'hawk-the saddle arrived! No vomiti!

Oh i forgot to mention that when i finished my 3rd lap & came into transition, Ian was missing..Stood around searching and then this figure came out of the porta loo..he wasn't expecting me!

C

Running Mommy
08-13-2007, 08:04 PM
I just informed him of such... He just rolled his eyes and said " I can't do a 12 HOUR race!!"... Umm he 'COULD', and if we make it out there- he will! heh heh

I'm a bit heavy handed in the pressure dept.

BTW- ya ready for another box?? I have a line on some "goods"... Will PM you about it lest my secret get out... ;)

Ahh yes, call me the pusher of energy bars...:p

mtbdarby
08-20-2007, 07:13 PM
Great job CC! Love the race report and pix - looks like it was a blast!

cosc
08-21-2007, 07:12 AM
Yeaaaa! CC, great job on your race. Enjoyed the pics and writeup.

mimitabby
08-21-2007, 08:11 AM
great job; i watch bemused as your seasons continue in the opposite direction from mine.
Nice to see your face too.