PDA

View Full Version : Bike trail now follows the Berlin Wall

Trek420
08-12-2007, 09:28 AM
http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20070812/lf_nm/germany_wall_dc

maryellen
08-12-2007, 02:45 PM
now that is v inspiring. can't imagine that i would ever be in berlin, but would be v cool to ride it.

Running Mommy
08-12-2007, 06:41 PM
WOW!
Being of German descent and having been there when the wall was standing, and there to celebrate it's demise, this means something.
In 1987 I was there with a tour group. We had to go through checkpoint charlie- an infamous gate in and out of the east. They checked our passports and because I had a VERY German surname I was pulled off the bus and questioned. It was one of the scariest things I've ever been through.
Once in east Berlin I remember seeing a gentleman lying on the ground at a bus stop bleeding from his head. No one was paying him any mind?? That image stuck with me.
In 1989 I was fortunate enough to return with my family to see the wall come down. I remember the tears shed by all- including me. I knew what that wall mean't. It mean't pain and suffering. It was evil, nothing but evil.
I have a chunk of the wall tucked away somewhere.
To see that now I could ride my bike along where the wall once stood means something. I know I prolly never will, but I would love to.