PDA

View Full Version : my hardest mtb race this year

han-grrl
08-11-2007, 01:42 PM
well, surprise to us all in the Master Expert category this morning - we had to four laps of our course, which is a very challenging one, with a 1 km climb to the top of the ski hill. I have been training for 3 laps. which is the distance we typically do for these races (about 18 km or so).

It took me 2.5 hours, which is a bit longer than i had hoped, but given the huge climb and my abilities, i am very very happy with my result BECAUSe in finished 3rd yay! I passed the last girl in my category and kept her back. my bike acted up a bit, and i think its time to retire her, but it was a very good race to retire her with.

This is another step towards my EBF goal (elite by forty) and a good hot day for it (29 C).

Happy riding!
Han

RoadRaven
08-11-2007, 01:52 PM
Well done Han, its way more than I could do - espesh in that heat - I really admire you mtn bike girls.

Seems you are well on track to achieve EBF :)

RoadRaven
08-11-2007, 01:56 PM
...and i think its time to retire her, but it was a very good race to retire her with.

Ah... so as she steps into graceful retirement... what will become your new and trusty steed????

han-grrl
08-11-2007, 06:39 PM
Hi Raven

I'm not sure what will be my new ride for next year - i love the look of the Opus bikes, a friend has suggested Rocky Mountain Vertex 50
http://www.bikes.com/bikes/2007/vertex/vertex-50.aspx

but my biggest limitation is the fact I am short with short femurs (apparently :rolleyes: ) and long torso...part of me is thinking custom too to get the right geomtry...

Smile
Han

RoadRaven
08-11-2007, 08:43 PM
Han, sounds like some serious research is required.

I know next-to-nothing about mountain bikes... but I am guessing you will have loads of fun finding out exactly what it is you are going to invest in :p

That Vertex50 certainly looks sweet - even good colours

I didn't quite follow the guide on the left/bottom of the page:

Cross-Country Marathon

Cross-Country Racing

Cross-Country

Recreational

They all have red, orange, yellow and green boxes next to them except the Marathon which has no green... does that mean the vertex50 is best for racing, cross country and recreational?
There doesn't seem to be a key...

Cheers, Rave

han-grrl
08-12-2007, 02:18 AM
I am guessing that the green means what the bike is best for...you are right there is no explanation on the site. My friend used to race pro - so i assume she has "good taste" in bike selection (although she too admits that she isn't sure whether the geomtry would work for me or not).

Yes shopping for bikes should be great fun! :)