PDA

View Full Version : Geocaching?

uforgot
08-10-2007, 04:09 PM
Anyone here do it? I am sooooooooo hooked on it. It's like playing Zelda on gameboy in realtime, without the fights of course. I love the ones with puzzles that you have to figure out or the scavenger hunt ones.

KnottedYet
08-10-2007, 06:28 PM
Darn tootin'! :D

Handlebar mount for the GPSr, "bikecaching"!

I like the puzzle ones, too. Or the ones where the hints are puzzles (so you don't get a free ride if you don't find the cache right off)

I don't have a fondness for virtuals or micros.

What's your sig item? Mine is a zipper pull made with macrame hemp twine and Fimo beads, with the large bead being a eTrex Yellow. (cuz my GPSr is a Yellow)

I use a gazetteer and the bare-bones GPSr. No electronic maps or electronic "driving" instructions.

singletrackmind
08-10-2007, 08:19 PM
It's fun for me and a great way to sneak the kids into a decent hike before they realize what hit 'em. :D

No signature thingy for me, usually trade kid toys for kid toys if anything...sometimes the 4 year old even finds them before everyone else. Sometimes it's a bit difficult as I've got a GPS that was free and only does 2 decimals, no maps or such. So far it suffices.

I like the puzzles too and the other day we did a podcast cache, where you download a sort of guided tour into your ipod and use that to get to the cache, only using the GPS to get to the starting point. I don't own an ipod or other such so listened at home, typed verbatim and read it out loud to the kids as we went along. Kinda cool. :)

KnottedYet
08-10-2007, 08:53 PM
we traded kid toys when SKnot was a young'un. Then he got into collecting sig items, and we created our own. The last couple years I haven't been able to get him to go caching.... snif.

uforgot
08-10-2007, 11:50 PM
No signature item yet. I'll have to think about it. I have a Garmin Venture I purchased on Amazon, and it works great. I WAS using it to keep from getting lost on my bike. I have a terrible sense of direction and it has saved me in unfamiliar territory several times.

I also think this is a useful classroom tool, (I teach math, but I can see it in upper elementary, geography, etc!) and now with the geocaching? I'll have to hide a cache of treats on the track and let my students use the GPS to find it.

And finally, IPOD CACHING?!?!?!?! I'm heading straight over to find out about this one. I picture myself in a few years riding a bike with dozens of electronic devices hanging from a specially made bright yellow vest.

By the way have you seen this? geogear T-shirt (http://www.geogearstore.com/m5_view_item.html?m5:item=GGS570&psid=rIoPFR6qrYkHtV5ydzPa)

singletrackmind
08-11-2007, 04:33 AM
It's called the Manchester Podcache by dadoo2. I don't know if there are any others like it....

KnottedYet
08-11-2007, 05:27 AM
I won a geocaching t-shirt at a gc rodeo/picnic. It was way too big so I left it in a cache a few months later.

But if it had been a t-shirt like the one you posted the link for Uforgot, I'd've kept that puppy! :D

I've heard of teachers who have their students set up travel bugs.