PDA

View Full Version : Central Mass people?

Jolt
08-08-2007, 12:53 PM
Who else is in the Central MA area and would be interested in maybe getting together for a hike or a ride?

newfsmith
08-08-2007, 04:30 PM
I'm not in Central Mass but I do ride out that way, I've had turn-arounds in Boyleston and Oxford this summer. Hopefully, my mother will be leaving the nursing home in early September and I won't be spending most of my week-ends in Wisconsin and will be able to ride more this fall. Where were you thinking of riding?

Jolt
08-08-2007, 04:51 PM
I'm not in Central Mass but I do ride out that way, I've had turn-arounds in Boyleston and Oxford this summer. Hopefully, my mother will be leaving the nursing home in early September and I won't be spending most of my week-ends in Wisconsin and will be able to ride more this fall. Where were you thinking of riding?

I'm pretty open to suggestions for places to ride, and know of some nice areas here (Grafton comes to mind). I'm not very fast on the bike, usually average around 12 mph which I'm sure is partly because I'm on a hybrid. BTW, I noticed you're in Norwood--I grew up in that area (lived in Westwood and then East Walpole)! It would be cool to set up some sort of Central/Eastern Mass. TE ride.

tygab
08-08-2007, 06:17 PM
I'd be interested depending on the locale (probably not more southern routes)....

Jolt
08-08-2007, 06:47 PM
I'd be interested depending on the locale (probably not more southern routes)....

Well, I'm in Worcester (but some of the surrounding towns are nicer places to ride).

Surlygirl
08-09-2007, 05:10 AM
Hey Jolt
I'm in Grafton and ride the roads around here if you are interested. I ride in the 12-14 range. PM me if you want to get together.
Jody

Crankin
08-10-2007, 05:46 AM
Jolt, we've done a couple of TE rides over the past 2 years. I led one last year on Labor Day. There's some variation on everyone's speeds and it is hard to make a time that everyone can get together, but it would be fun to try this again...
I would be willing to lead another ride, out of maybe Stow, so it wouldn't be too far for central MA people to get to. A few of the AMC rides I lead start out of the Stow Airport (Minuteman Airfield) where there is a nice restaurant we can eat at and use the bathroom. Of course, I'd be willing to go to Grafton, but I don't know my way around at all. Let me know, let's talk some dates and I definitely would be willing to lead something.

Robyn

Jolt
08-11-2007, 12:40 PM
Jolt, we've done a couple of TE rides over the past 2 years. I led one last year on Labor Day. There's some variation on everyone's speeds and it is hard to make a time that everyone can get together, but it would be fun to try this again...
I would be willing to lead another ride, out of maybe Stow, so it wouldn't be too far for central MA people to get to. A few of the AMC rides I lead start out of the Stow Airport (Minuteman Airfield) where there is a nice restaurant we can eat at and use the bathroom. Of course, I'd be willing to go to Grafton, but I don't know my way around at all. Let me know, let's talk some dates and I definitely would be willing to lead something.

Robyn

That sounds like a cool idea, and Stow sounds like a reasonable starting place since that's not too far for anyone and you know the area. Labor Day might be a good time again, what do you think?

Crankin
08-12-2007, 04:40 AM
OK, I would say either early Sat. morning of Labor Day weekend, or Labor Day early morning would be good. I'd prefer the Saturday. There are several routes we could do; I have one ride that is about 27 miles, loops around to the Wayside Inn area, has a couple of climbs, and is really pretty. Or, we could do a good amount of miles just riding in Stow, Acton, Boxborough. If we add in a bit of Harvard, I have another route that is really pretty and would be about 25 miles (don't have exact count now), with quite a bit of climbing. I know that area really well, so we could just go out and ride and I could just turn around when we are ready!
So, let's start "voting" now as to date and then we can decide on the route.

Robyn

Jolt
08-12-2007, 02:56 PM
Either of those days sounds fine to me.

newfsmith
08-12-2007, 05:44 PM
Sorry guys, that Saturday we are going on a Zoar rafting trip with grand-daughter, Sara. Maybe another fall ride will work for me. Have a great time.

Crankin
08-14-2007, 04:43 AM
Anyone else interested??
Saturday, September 1st
meet at Minuteman Airfield, Stow
10:00 AM
When I get a response from anyone, I will email directions.

Robyn

SheFly
08-14-2007, 11:10 AM
ACK! The Monday would have worked better for me. We're heading to VT that weekend to ride the Kingdom Trails (best MTB in the country, in my opinion!). I'll try to connect with you all another time.

SheFly

Jolt
08-14-2007, 12:29 PM
Anyone else interested??
Saturday, September 1st
meet at Minuteman Airfield, Stow
10:00 AM
When I get a response from anyone, I will email directions.

Robyn

Sounds like a plan.

Crankin
08-14-2007, 12:32 PM
OK, we can change it to Monday; but it will have to be earlier.
9:00 AM. Monday, September 3
Minuteman Airfield, Stow.

Now, let's see who's coming...
PS. Cathy, you will have to ride in your big ring the whole time with us mortal people.

Robyn

SheFly
08-15-2007, 04:26 AM
OK, we can change it to Monday; but it will have to be earlier.
9:00 AM. Monday, September 3
Minuteman Airfield, Stow.

Now, let's see who's coming...
PS. Cathy, you will have to ride in your big ring the whole time with us mortal people.

Robyn

HA! You haven't seen me lately - I've been in a slump ;) . Don't change this just for me, but if it also works for others, this will be fun!

SheFly

Crankin
08-15-2007, 06:27 AM
Nope, a couple of others said Monday would be better.
So right now i have She Fly and Jolt down. We still have awhile. Any others interested???
Robyn

Jolt
08-15-2007, 10:15 AM
OK, Monday at 9 works.

newfsmith
08-15-2007, 05:34 PM
I can make it Monday, Sept 3.

tygab
08-15-2007, 08:36 PM
I could not do a Sat. but the Monday sounds good. I am in!

Crankin
08-16-2007, 07:57 AM
OK, I've added Jean and Tasha to the list.

Robyn

DebW
08-21-2007, 11:58 AM
Looks like I can make it also.

Crankin
08-22-2007, 05:51 AM
Got you down, Deb.

massbikebabe
08-23-2007, 07:33 AM
Bummer!!!

I will be in Ohio for my nephews birthday. I have been riding some so I wanted to show you all my stuff. We need to get together again in the fall. That would be great fun.

Jolt where are you in Worcester?? I live over behind Holy Cross. Are you a nurse?? I used to work in the ER...for almost 15 years. PM me when you get a chance...or better yet krichard2@juno.com

karen

Crankin
08-23-2007, 01:37 PM
Karen, it's good to see you on the board! And great to hear you've been riding. We can certainly do this again in the later fall. Tell us all about your riding!

Robyn

massbikebabe
08-25-2007, 09:18 AM
Robyn:

It's sorta riding and tumbling all in one. My son says I do GREAT tricks on the bike but I assure you they are not on purpose!!!

Have fun everyone.

karen

kfergos
10-02-2007, 08:30 AM
Hey Mass Ladies! I'm looking for people to ride longer training rides with. In July I'm going to do the STP (http://www.cascade.org/EandR/stp/index.cfm) (200 miles in 2 days), but I've never ridden more than 20 miles straight before. I need to work up to riding 80 or 100 miles two days in a row, but I don't want to do it all by myself. If anybody's game for rides of basically any length, I would love to have company!

I currently commute 100 to 110 miles a week on my bike between Marlborough and Westborough, riding between 15 and 20 miles an hour for that. The only serious drawback I have is that I can't ride on weekdays -- Sat and Sun are the only days I could really do a long ride. I work in Worcester and am in Holden on Sunday mornings, so I could easily meet up any number of places.

PM me or email me: katie.ferguson - at - gmail - dot - com.