PDA

View Full Version : Great new commuting route!

northstar
08-08-2007, 12:22 PM
I teach middle school, and I got the dreaded "back to school" letter today, but I'm feeling pretty energized, because I did some exploring yesterday. I have a 17 mile commute 1 way, and in the mornings it's fine, because I leave so early that most people are still fast asleep. :) But the afternoons were scary...lots of traffic, scary neighborhood, etc. I found myself rushing to get out the door after school because I wanted to beat traffic, and that left me feeling pinched for time and uptight on the ride home.

Yesterday, I ventured out on my bike in search of a better option. I discovered that I can ride a paved trail along the Mississippi river almost all the way to work! I will cross the river on top of a huge dam:

http://www.anokacountyparks.com/qlinks/Parks/CoonRapidsDam/coonrapidsdam.htm

I may still ride the city streets in the mornings, because it will be faster...but I am already fantasizing about hopping on the bike and riding through the fall foliage along the river. I can stay and get my work done, then relish the ride home!

I think I might be ok with going back to school now. :) Hey, I might even get more miles in while I am working than when I'm not! Sad, but true!

Geonz
08-08-2007, 12:48 PM
Not sad at all!!! You go girl :) :)

KnottedYet
08-08-2007, 09:09 PM
Not sad at all, however you manage to get those miles!

Hooray!

tjf9
08-09-2007, 11:53 AM
I wish I was looking forward to going to work every day. :rolleyes:

Congrats on finding a great new route.