PDA

View Full Version : Good Backpacks for Commuting?

wildstreaktn
08-07-2007, 08:17 PM
Hi Everyone,
I am starting school in three weeks and intend to ride my bike back and forth as much as possible.Can anyone suggest a decent waterproof backpack that won't break the bank?

KnottedYet
08-07-2007, 08:22 PM
I use one of my Ortlieb panniers on a backpack adaptor... and it's ridiculously expensive. (it was a midlife crisis purchase :D ) On the bike it's a pannier, on bus-riding days it's a backpack.

Check REI for waterproof backpacks. They have some nifty ones. Seattle Sports has some very nice and reasonably priced and really waterproof backpacks called "AquaKnot". http://store.seattlesportsco.com/productcart/pc/mac_viewPrd.asp?idcategory=43&idproduct=621 These guys make bags for rafting and kayaking, but the backpacks look pretty wearable. I use one of their drybags when I kayak, and it really does keep things dry. They have a full line of bike panniers/bags, too.

Delta makes a pannier/backpack adaptor set which is much cheaper than the Ortlieb version. (the Delta pannier is kind of small, though) Similar rubberized waterproof fabric, but not quite as heavy as the Ortliebs.

Trek420
08-07-2007, 08:43 PM
Since getting the Nigel Smythe handlebar bag most rides I don't carry a back pack.

http://forums.teamestrogen.com/showthread.php?t=14368&highlight=nigel+smythe

When I do I use a Timbuktu WSD back pack. The slot for the laptop is perfect place to slide my sketchbook :D

tjf9
08-07-2007, 09:26 PM
I use a messenger bag for my daily commute, but that might not be the best answer if you're carrying a lot of books. Good luck with your search!

Dianyla
08-07-2007, 09:27 PM
It's not fully waterproof like the Ortlieb stuff, but Deuter makes a number of cycling specific backpacks. Most of theirs come with built-in raincovers.

Torrilin
08-08-2007, 05:02 AM
L.L. Bean bookbags are well... overkill. They last bloody forever. They're also not horribly expensive. About $60 for a top of the line model. I have two, one 21 years old and one 15 years old, both in good shape after years of heavy use.

They are water resistant (taped seams, waterproof fabric) and will keep things dry in driving rain for several hours. The water resistant nature tends to work better when the pack is carrying a heavy load. Having the fabric under a bit of tension reduces seam leakage IME. No troubles with calculators dying due to getting wet. No pack is truly waterproof if it has seams, so sometimes things in the interior will get damp. Do not put the pack down in a puddle, it's not water *proof*.

The "Deluxe" model can carry about 45 lbs or a week of clothes as a regular load, and is sized for adults. There is a step up model from it that has a padded laptop compartment, which is handy if you have a laptop. The regular model caps out around 30 lbs or a 3 day weekend's worth of clothes.

The big downside is that you can cram enough weight into the bag that you need a suspension saddle for long rides. 2 miles of potholes, gravel and ruts is about all I can take with max load, even if I use my legs as shock absorbers. You can also get shoulder bruising, but that happens whether you're on a bike or not. If you need truly waterproof, wearing the pack under your rain jacket should work.

farrellcollie
08-08-2007, 05:21 AM
I ride my bike to school and back (teacher) - but I found that I hated carrying books on my back - I use grocery type panniers. I have a rather short commute - 4 miles each way - but my almost 50yr old back and neck just balked at book carrying (if you are a young whippersnapper it may not matter). I have heard a lot of people say they prefer messenger bags to back pack types.

wildstreaktn
08-09-2007, 07:56 AM
Wow,thanks for all the input,ladies.I'll check out those sites and let you all know what I come up with for my new daily 24 mile round trip commute!:D

bouncybouncy
08-09-2007, 08:34 AM
I was a backpack commuter for a while (30 mile roundtrip) and thought is was fine...didn't bother me a bit!

UNTIL, hubby put on a rack and panniers....never ever ever going back to anything on my back nope never not gonna do it not me!!!!!

I have the Ortlieb full suspension rack (had issues with attachment and this one worked the best on my bike...Surly Karate Monkey with fenders and v-brakes on rear. Hubby has a smaller rack but he rides a Long Haul Trucker that has brazons for easier mounting)

Also have the Ortlieb (storm waterproof) panniers...loooooove them!!!

Torrilin
08-09-2007, 09:12 AM
Wow,thanks for all the input,ladies.I'll check out those sites and let you all know what I come up with for my new daily 24 mile round trip commute!:D

For 24 miles, I'd go with rack and panniers if you can. I've done the backpack thing, and it's functional. The rack and panniers are a lot more comfortable. And well, I *like* being comfy on my bike. Means I use it more. You don't have to go super-expensive to have a good rack and panniers setup for commuting, since most of the time you won't break 30 lbs commuting.

I did go for a sturdier rack tho, because mine hauls groceries. I really wouldn't want a bottle of wine going splat because the rack failed :o.

RoseC
08-09-2007, 09:58 AM

As usual, I'm late to the party...

Wildstreak, my commute is pretty much the same length as yours, and if I were buying *new* equipment rather than just figuring out how to make do, I wouldn't go for a backpack if I were you. I used one for awhile when I first started just because it's what I had, but it was hot, uncomfortable if I needed to carry more than lunch, and made me feel kind of unstable and like I couldn't see behind me as well as I'd like.

Right now I'm using an old Schwinn touring bag that I picked up on Craigslist, and while it's still not perfect (the weight is still not low and balanced), it's sooooo nice not having weight on my back and in my way!

But I think the best solution for long-ish commutes like ours is the pannier/rack combination. I plan to pick up some Ortliebs as soon as I can afford them, maybe as a self-awarded prize for reaching a mileage point. :D

anaphase
08-15-2007, 06:15 AM
Even in cool weather, I get really sweaty, so maybe you could get a rack with a grocery pannier (the wire-looking kind that flattens out), and stick your backpack in there?

This is the bag I am thinking about getting, as I bring my bike into the office and don't really need to carry a backpack around.
http://www.calhouncycle.com/productcart/pc/viewPrd.asp?idcategory=16&idproduct=1085

Does anyone else use it? Do you like it?

Also, can someone recommend a good rear rack? I want something light but strong. The Planet Bike Eco Rack was recommended, but I would like some other opinions.

Sorry to hijack the thread. :)

marybee
08-16-2007, 06:22 PM
When I started commuting, I used a backpack, I think, once... and then I got a rack and panniers. Much, much more comfortable and you don't end up with a sweat-soaked back and backpack.

Torrilin
08-17-2007, 07:51 AM
Also, can someone recommend a good rear rack? I want something light but strong. The Planet Bike Eco Rack was recommended, but I would like some other opinions.

Sorry to hijack the thread. :)

I'm pleased with my Jandd Expedition rack. It is not particularly light tho. It will (in theory) carry 70 lbs, but with my setup that's not a good idea. Jandd makes a couple lighter, shorter length racks that get good reviews. I went with the Expedition half out of laziness (LBS doesn't stock the shorter racks) and half out of fear that I'd have heel strike issues with a "standard" rack. This turned out to be a reasonable and sensible fear, cause if I'm not careful I have heel strike with the Expedition. Apparently a size 9 women's foot counts as large for my bike :). Not really surprising tho, since I have relatively short legs and big feet :D

Christopher
08-18-2007, 01:37 AM
I wouldn't use a backpack for that distance due to sweaty back syndrome, yuk, but your lower back may also hurt - mine does after that sort of distance with a pack, even a light one. Even my very short commute - 8 miles total - is much nicer in mild weather without a pack.

Geonz
08-18-2007, 04:15 PM
I got an L.L. Bean backpack ... prob'ly 20 years ago. WOrks peachily. Plastic grocery sacks aroiund my books if it's going to rain on me (which it basicallyh never does, but that's another story :) ) and I"m good to go.
(That is, of course, if I have to ride my Trek or Gazelle... normally I'm on the Xtracycle and big stuff goes in the saddlebags and I wear a camelbak for the lights on it.)

solorider
08-18-2007, 05:15 PM
I agree with the improved comfort of panniers- I have a fairly easy 4 mile (one way) commute, and used a back pack all last year. The weight didn't bother me so much, but the sweaty back syndrome got old quick-
I purchased a blackburn trail rack from my local LBS http://www.nashbar.com/profile.cfm?category=6000112&subcategory=60001079&brand=&sku=13180&storetype=&estoreid=&pagename=Shop%20by%20Subcat%3A%20Racks
I'm not sure of total weight limit, but I carry between 20-40 punds regularly and haven't had a problem. I also have Jandd panniers that fold up to stay out of the way when I don't need them and cthey ome off easily for my non commute rides,
http://www.jandd.com/detail.asp?PRODUCT_ID=FGBP
and now I commute almost every day- rather than making the excuses for why I HAD to drive to work last year...I do hit my heels if I don't push the panniers all the way back on the bike (size 9/42 shoe), but it's not a problem as I just graze them- not knock them off.

I find the ride WAY more enjoyable with the rack and panniers, but for an economical approach, the cost of a back pack is going to be much less- overall. If you start off with a pack, and then add the rack and panniers later (like I did) you can fit the pack into one of the panniers and have a more comfortable ride sometime in the future ;)

Voodoo Sally
08-21-2007, 03:21 PM
If anyone is still interested in wearing a backpack, I prefer one. I just didn't want panniers, and the messenger bag got too small. The backpack I use now is the Pearl Izumi Velocipak. It's nice & big, but compresses pretty small for when you don't carry much. It comes with an attached (hidden) rain cover, and a removable padded "pod" for your laptop.

wildstreaktn
08-26-2007, 08:50 PM
Hi Everyone,
I start school tomorrow and I decided to go with a backpack for now..I got an L.L.Bean,Turbo Transit,since it has the seperate shoe storage area and tons of room.I weighed it with my heaviest books and it's gonna be between 25-30 lbs. The whole time I am riding,i will be dreaming of how much faster i will be without it and 12 miles each way will let me vary my workouts.i.e.,intervals,spinning,pushing hard gears,etc.Thanks again for all your great suggestions.I wrote several down for future reference!!!:) :)

Geonz
08-27-2007, 10:25 AM
Sounds cool (well, hot if it's hot) and incredibly functional. Happy riding!!!