PDA

View Full Version : Supporting Disabled Athletes

lisascenic
08-07-2007, 05:40 PM
My partner and I are doing our very first fundraising ride this fall.

About a year and a half ago, he sustained a spinal cord injury and has acute paraplegia. But he has been working like crazy toward the best recovery possible. And to that end, he has a recumbent trike, and cycles three or more times a week.

We first got back into cycling through a great organization called the Bay Area Outreach Recreation Program (BORP). In addition to many other programs, they have a fleet of adaptive cycles for both kids and adults. For ten bucks you can borrow one of their bikes or trikes or tandems or hand-cycles and ride for four hours. It was so great to use this resource before we were able to buy our own trike.

So now, as a way of giving back, we are participating in their fundraiser. My partner is so far only physically capable of cycling about fourteen miles, but that hasn't stopped us from signing up for a twenty five mile ride. We'll see how all this plays out.

Here's a link to the fundraising page, in case anyone is interesting in learning more about this.

http://www.active.com/donate/BORPRevolution2007/howsrobb

and to our blog entry, telling more about this:

http://howsrobb.blogspot.com/2007/07/you-say-you-want-revolution.html

Cheers!
Lisa

velogirl
08-07-2007, 10:18 PM
Hi Lisa! I left a comment on your blog but I'm not sure that's the best way to reach me. I have a client I would like to meet you and Robb (she's also a SCI handcyclist in the east bay and looking for others to ride at a similar pace). Please contact me -- Lorri@velogirls.com

Starfish
08-08-2007, 08:52 AM
Thank you for this thread. Wow, what strong people you both are. Thanks for the links. Keep us posted!

lisascenic
08-08-2007, 07:48 PM
We're really excited about this! Thanks for your nice words.

onimity
08-09-2007, 10:07 PM
What an amazing story and what a positive attitude you both have. I am in awe of you both.

Anne

lisascenic
08-09-2007, 10:32 PM
Wow...you are too kind Anne!

This whole recovery process has taught us so much about how generous people are, and how really lucky we are.

Lisa

lisascenic
09-09-2007, 03:36 PM
I started this thread a month ago, and since that time my partner has been training like crazy for this cycling event. He has learned a lot about budgeting his energies, and I believe that he is also seeing some neurological improvements.

Anyway, he was only physically capable of cycling fourteen miles at that time, and now, he's consistently doing eighteen mile jaunts. On Friday he did twenty miles.

Not bad for a guy who can't feel or move large portions of his feet or legs!

Starfish
09-09-2007, 03:44 PM
LisaScenic, thank you so much for this update!! Please pass along to him how inspirational he is. I would love to watch his progress, somehow...maybe a weekly update here, or whatever. What amazing strength. Thanks again!!! :) :)

ETA: I'm so sorry, I did forget about the blog. There is a lot to keep up with. I will go there, but also, I would be really glad to see updates on this thread, too.

Midget
09-09-2007, 07:08 PM
Shoot, I wish I lived in Oakland! That sounds like a cool ride...especially since I'm a disabled athelete myself. I have Cereberal Palsy, but that's never stopped me from achieving my goals. :D

I just bought a recumbent trike in May, and this month I've really started riding some more intense rides...going out of my way to add some extra hills into a ride home, etc. Friday I did my first long distance ride of 40 miles. It took like 6 and a half hours, so next time I'll try to do it a bit quicker. ;) In fact, next time will be tomorow's ride!

lisascenic
09-09-2007, 07:46 PM
Midget which trike do you have?

Midget
09-09-2007, 08:16 PM
Zoomer - made by Wizwheels. I meant to ask what your husband is riding, but I got distracted. :p

lisascenic
09-10-2007, 04:28 PM
Robb test drove a Whizzwheels trike but we ended with the Trail by Catrike. It's great. Very zippy, and light enough that we can toss it around single-handedly. Robb can roll it into the back of his station wagon.

Midget
09-11-2007, 02:34 PM
Wow! I've heard Cattrike is like the top of the line. I looked at one, but the price was a bit more than I wanted to pay at the moment. Maybe that will be my next purchase. :p

lisascenic
10-04-2007, 10:00 AM
http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1281/1395520952_d09b04ee24.jpg

So, the big ride is in two days, and we're really excited! When Robb first started cycling after his spinal cord injury, he could only go for about five minutes, and then his body would just give out.

Last weekend, we finally did the entire distance of the ride we signed on for. At the time that we signed up to ride twenty five miles, all Robb was capable of riding was half that distance. And this past week, he's done over twenty five miles, twice.

Part of this was due to the fact that his recovery is progressing, and he's regaining strength in his feet and legs, and part of it was sheer stubbornness.

At the end of the ride, I'm not going to feel any less of a sense of accomplishment than the folks who rode a century that day! And all of the people who rode the ten mile ride? They're gonna feel great about their accomplishments, too.

Here's a link to our blog:
http://howsrobb.blogspot.com/2007/10/marathon-man.html

Think of us this Saturday, won't you?

onimity
10-04-2007, 09:16 PM
I'll absolutely be thinking of you guys, Lisa! You are such an inspiration & it is so great to read the stories of Robb's fantastic improvements. I can't wait to hear about the ride.

Anne

lisascenic
10-05-2007, 08:15 AM
Anne -- love the golden retriever story from your blog!

lisascenic
10-08-2007, 11:24 AM
Wow! This event was so amazing! I'm still completely energized by it. There are some photos at our blog, if anyone is interested:

http://howsrobb.blogspot.com/

onimity
10-10-2007, 02:51 PM
Hey Lisa,

I am glad that you liked the Golden Retriever story! :)

I am so glad that you both enjoyed the ride so much. Your blog is wonderful to read. Congrats to you both!

Anne

lisascenic
10-19-2007, 02:29 PM
This is a long video, but really delightful. It is a document of the recent fundraising ride that I did.

They followed the serious riders who did the hundred mile ride, and also the folks who did the ten mile ride. It is awesome to see the variety of people involved with this event.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eLvkBTS0AgQ

I hope this makes you smile, when you see one of the many great programs (adaptive cycling) that were supported by this ride.

Oh yeah, the views of the vineyards are pretty nice too. And I didn't realized that the hundred mile riders went all the way to the seashore. What a view!

Thanks again, everyone. As I was struggling to get up that final killer hill (I'm such a crappy non-athlete), I knew that I would make it, because so many supporters were all riding along with me.

Lisa